1 (edited by Nilaya 2011-12-13 23:19:03)

Topic: [MAP] Ctf_glaciers

Hello everyone. With some support by other players I would like to make this map available. Credit for the tile set goes to SoignaR.

Map Size: 100x50
File Size: 81Kb

Edit: Latest Version

glaciers

Download

Re: [MAP] Ctf_glaciers

Looks like a nice map, but I find it too vertical in the middle. A tee should be able to go from one flag to another without using hook (you can do that on all standard maps).

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

Looks like a nice map, but I find it too vertical in the middle. A tee should be able to go from one flag to another without using hook (you can do that on all standard maps).

BS. That's not necessary at all. The fact that that's possible in the official maps is merely a coincidence. Even players playing their first time are able to click the right mouse button.

I think this map is cool (witty, eh?). I see quite some clue has been taken from ctf2 bases, but that's not bad when you put it together into such a different map. I'll try to find this one hosted sometime to be able to give further comments on it smile

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

It's funny you mention that Dune because when I was designing it, it hadn't occurred to me and I only noticed when I was testing it yesterday. In general I agree about the need to allow players to go from end to end without hooking, but I think even in the standard maps, you aren't going to fare well without hooking and it's an integral part of the game. By the way, I believe this map would work best for either 2 v 2 or 3 v 3. I did add a fourth spawn but only as a precaution. Any more than that, and the weapons supply runs short.

Nilaya wrote:

It's funny you mention that Dune because when I was designing it, it hadn't occurred to me and I only noticed when I was testing it yesterday. In general I agree about the need to allow players to go from end to end without hooking, but I think even in the standard maps, you aren't going to fare well without hooking and it's an integral part of the game.

It's not only about newbies, as a general rule I consider maps should always have enough path points to allow somebody to go from one flag to another. When there are several points on a map you can't access without hook - like yours - I feel like this is an objective criteria to say the map is too vertical.
Ah, and btw I pretty like the colors you used.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

i´d like to play that map before i can give a final jugdement.

But first impression was awsum. After taking a closer look i think you should make tinier ways since it seems that there is a lot space, but this opinion could change if i happen to get the chance to play the map.

As for graphics i like the colouring. Bright ground from moonshine cool idea.

Get some hosters for the map is the only thing left to make this map an epic win i think.

greets Marik

Thanks for the compliment Marik. Crouton CTF should be hosting it soon if I can get a hold of the admins. It's always hard to tell how the map is going to act just from looking at it. I think it has good balance but gameplay can get thrown off if you aren't careful mostly because of the vertical nature of it. It's probably built for the more skilled players.

Seems like this tileset implies the map's name, I also released a map using this tileset named run_glacier. Gameplay is awesome, fast, nice pickups. Fastcap time at about 4 sec (my personal best is 4.5). Gfx are great too, though the background could be better. Small graphical bugs between flag-doodads and ground; and at the ground near the water surface. All in all an awesome map, I suggest you to post it at the MDC.
Little suggestion: use some other water (the one with white surface outline) and animate the quad.

void ..

My apologies for the name Blue. I didn't think it would have been used already. I can rename it if you'd like.

Blue wrote:

I suggest you to post it at the MDC.

Maps which already got any sort of comments includig gameplay or graphics or whatever will be disqualified.

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

Just what do you mean by that Tee Killa? wink I await your entry.

There was a rule that maps only made for MDC can be entered. Maps not made for that reason cannot; like yours.
Correct me if I'm wrong... I think it's kind of a weird rule if it's a recently made map, but hey, I'm not the judge.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

I made it like 3 days ago when Salad mentioned that he was taking community maps for the Crouton server and then upon testing it several players told me I should enter it into the competition which I didn't know about at the time. It doesn't much matter to me but I don't see why it couldn't be entered. I'd leave the decision up to the MDC organizer though.

I think it's fine. Seems like technical bs if it's not.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Tee Killa wrote:
Blue wrote:

Maps which already got any sort of comments includig gameplay or graphics or whatever will be disqualified.

There is no such rule. He can still submit this map for mdc. Since everyone can alter the maps till deadline. The tournaments goal is to get as many quality maps as possible.

so just submit it i wont mind.

Marik wrote:
Tee Killa wrote:
Blue wrote:

There is no such rule. He can still submit this map for mdc. Since everyone can alter the maps till deadline. The tournaments goal is to get as many quality maps as possible.

so just submit it i wont mind.

Hui, you are right. Just read the rules smile Last year there was this rule, which doesn't allow releasing a map for getting comments for a better gameplay.

Jon wrote:

— Maps cannot be posted for critique; contestants will be disqualified if this is found out about. In addition, no special images from the map may be released before the contest ends.

But as Marik is the "hoster" he can decide. So you can post it, my mistake smile

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

Nilaya wrote:

My apologies for the name Blue. I didn't think it would have been used already. I can rename it if you'd like.

Sorry for misleading you, Im not angry with you, I just find this a bit funny. Leave your map's name as it is. And make more with a nice movement like this.

void ..

I'm hosting the map on one of my servers - searching for ctf_glaciers will find it for you.

The map is nice. The only place that I could see improvement in is purely cosmetical - animating the water would be cool. Other than that, awesome job. Keep up the good work.

Ubuntu Member
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton

19 (edited by Nilaya 2011-12-13 23:17:17)

Hello again everyone. I've made some alterations to this map, partially to work for 0.6. so I wanted to share it, even though I know none of you are going to host it. First post has been updated with a screenshot and download link.

20 (edited by Nater 2011-12-17 20:29:39)

I am hosting the current version on my Ambience CTF. IP address: 74.91.144.188:9000

Thanks for the great map Nilaya. The bottom section seems like a pretty tight sqeeze to me, didn't know if you wanted that or not.

Nater smile