76 (edited by Lanta 2010-05-26 21:03:32)

Re: Username change requests !

Alpha-Nuva wrote:

i don't know if this is allowed

Alpha-Nuva wrote:

you can only use 1 change

You answered your question in the same sentence. I don't know if Azon wanna break the rule only for you, but the only one rule was clear and you knew it before asking the first nickname change.

Support Staff - ESL.eu Teeworlds Admin

77 (edited by Bee 2010-05-26 20:59:22)

He isn't the only one, but the 2nd one to ask. If you remember "Draft" changed to "Daft" then to "Coil". It's weird, I don't see the second post where he asked for his last name change...

Oh and azon: why can't we just change our own names? It would be easier on us and you if we did it ourselves so there are no hard feelings and misunderstandings. :\
Like stated here:

Scream.!* wrote:

Hope i can change! otherwise i need too make a New Profile hmm

People might just make more profiles, which creates a different problem.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

The matter with Draft was that he encountered repeated conflict and trouble with his (new) username, and therefor this 2nd change was deemed legitimate. It was also confirmed that he wouldn't use this extra service for abusive actions.

The reasons you can't change your own names boil down to two issues. First of all I don't have access to the main forum settings, and therefor can't change the settings that would make this possible . Second of all I think it would make things rather difficult to follow when people can change their username multiple times. It's a bit strange to follow a discussion or topic when the persons talking changes repeatedly. It's also a possibility that people would use this function to cause trouble by imitating the usernames of other people. Although I wouldn't be completely against such option for members, I doubt it would do much good. The current system seems to function sufficiently to address to the few requests people make.

Alpha-Nuva wrote:

As far as i know, you can only use 1 change, i don't know if this is allowed,
But can you change my Name Back too CandleJack? pls, i didnt like this name -_-

As has been said, we try to limit the number of name changes to a single one. There are some situations in which we stretch the rules a bit but we need to draw a line somewhere. I won't decide on this issue right now though. I'll give it some thought over the next days and see whether the single-change rule is really necessary for our future moderation. Maybe I can think of some other system which allows for multiple changes but also keeps things under control.

Can you Change my Name too:

Mic

thankx big_smile

Didn't you just register?

No wink

I've seen other forums which have the rule that one can rename one's nick every 6 months....

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

83 (edited by Bee 2010-05-28 00:48:56)

That's a great suggestion Landil.
But I just saw a bug of how the forum works now: every post that I made before my name change will forever say "|X-treme|Bee wrote:". Instead I think those quotes should be changed to the member's new name because some completely start from scratch when they make a new name.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

That's not possible with this forum software.
The whole system of it would have to be changed, and I don't think it is worth it, just so that an occasional wrong quote can be corrected.

aka cheesy

85 (edited by DarkM 2010-05-28 13:14:35)

Im sorry If its not my business, but - I think that its alot better when people can change their names only 1 time, because then they'll think 10 times before rename. And - new members will get confused - Silence - Mic - Cj - Alpha @_@
Besides.. The Moders got work - they dont have time to change our nicknames 100500 times big_smile

Bee wrote:

why can't we just change our own names? It would be easier on us and you if we did it ourselves

We'll have nickname-change explosion!11 O_o Everyone will change their names 100500.000.000 times and there will be a huge terrible confusion big_smile

Sorry again smile

I'll show you Kuzma's mother!(c)Nikita Hrushev
DarkMarta - Artist. cool
Rise up, and dont you fall down again... Rise up, its time we break the chains.

86 (edited by spl0k 2010-05-28 13:37:16)

People want to change their name because this thread exists.
They see it and then they think "cool, I can change my name". Later, one guy thinks his name isn't as cool as it used to be, he remembers this thread so he asks for a change. If he didn't come across this thread he maybe wouldn't have thought about changing his name.
Maybe he'll ask if he really really wants to change.

I am registered on another forum where there's no a name changing feature for users or a thread like this and I saw only like 2 or 3 name change request over 8 years.

That's because people know they have a right that they want to use it.

spl0k, aka Al`. From the HuH clan.
Noobing pwns since 01/01/1970.
TeeViewer - TeeComp

spl0k wrote:

They see it and then they think "cool, I can change my name". Later, one guy thinks his name isn't as cool as it used to be, he remembers this thread so he asks for a change. If he didn't come across this thread he maybe wouldn't have thought about changing his name.

I am registered on another forum where there's no a name changing feature for users or a thread like this and I saw only like 2 or 3 name change request over 8 years.

That's because people know they have a right that they want to use it.

They can blame themselves when they already done a change they dont like wink

Alright , first of allI would like to thank everybody for giving their thoughts on this issue. Let me try to take some general pointers from this.

Silence wrote:

Can you Change my Name too:

Mic

thankx big_smile

This has been done, don't forget to use your new username to log in.

Landil wrote:

I've seen other forums which have the rule that one can rename one's nick every 6 months....

I think this is a brilliant idea, as this does allow people to maintain some flexibility with their username but also prevents the kinds of abuse that a very liberal policy would give. I'm very interested in giving this a try.

Bee wrote:

That's a great suggestion Landil.
But I just saw a bug of how the forum works now: every post that I made before my name change will forever say "|X-treme|Bee wrote:". Instead I think those quotes should be changed to the member's new name because some completely start from scratch when they make a new name.

I can understand this is a frustrating issue but I doubt there is an easy way to fix it. As a quote is just some minor syntax it seems that you would need to manually change very single one of them, which would be a lot of work for minor results. I wish there would be an easy way but I don't think there is a solution for this.

spl0k wrote:

This seems like an understandable argument to close this topic off permanently, but I think there is a difference at play here. This topic was created at a time that I received multiple requests for username changes, and decided that a central topic would allow me to regulate these requests better. I think it's mainly because of the nature of Teeworlds which allows you to change your in game name very easily and therefor build a new identity in a short time. This could possibly inspire people to get a new name on the forum as well. I do understand that this would be an easy solution but it doesn't have my preference.

----

For now I would like to give the suggested 6 month name lock a try, as this enables people to be more flexible with their username then they are now, but still gives the moderators a good way to regulate things. It seems like a good middle way between no username changes at all and an unlimited number of changes for everyone. What do you think?

89 (edited by Lanta 2010-05-28 18:42:30)

I think it's a good solution. Maybe, with a few lines of php code, devs can simply let the CMS (punBB) enable or disable the "change nickname" feature for the users using this new 6 months rule. => no more work for you

Azon wrote:

I can understand this is a frustrating issue but I doubt there is an easy way to fix it. As a quote is just some minor syntax it seems that you would need to manually change very single one of them, which would be a lot of work for minor results. I wish there would be an easy way but I don't think there is a solution for this.

I wasn't thinking of someone manually doing the changing, but when and if the developers (or who ever can make changes to this website structure) have time on their hands, they could make some type of change function where every time any user changes their name, it goes though the whole text of the forum and finds quotes using there past name: "[qu0te=(their past name)]" and changes/edits it to their current name.

Azon wrote:

For now I would like to give the suggested 6 month name lock a try... (yadi yadi yata)
What do you think?

Sounds good. smile
But like I said... things could get very confusing when people change their name...

Well if the developers have time to implement such features to the forum that would be great, but I'm not too sure whether forum upgrades have their priority right now. I'll certainly remember these suggestions if that time (ever) arrives.

Azon wrote:

Well if the developers have time to implement such features to the forum that would be great, but I'm not too sure whether forum upgrades have their priority right now. I'll certainly remember these suggestions if that time (ever) arrives.

If developers trust me enough I can do it... tongue

You got my blessing, but I'm not sure whether that will get you anywhere smile

Please, can you change bobsmiley into TeBob?

Thanks smile

Alright, done.

Can you change my nick into Sonix? please.

MasterSonix$&£ wrote:

Can you change my nick into Sonix? please.

OMG Sonix is back oO

Alright your request has been granted, enjoy your new username smile

Can you change my nick into Heliux?

Thanks

Didnt you just register? You could register under Heliux directly.