Topic: [GAMEPLAY] Movements

Here is a (updatable) movements' guide for rookies (thx to chi11y/Tobias/Daniel/zach/jeppo/airen/munyul):

=======
THE HOOK
=======

Sharp metal piece that you swing yourself with

Can achieve great speed and precision if handled correctly. If the tee lands on the ground with a high speed forward (given by the hook) the tee will run faster until you manually abort it.

- "A" is the direction of where you are heading with this über speed.
- "B" is the other direction; if you push towards the other direction ("A") the tee will lose its speed (manual abortion). If you however (regular) jump at the same direction of where you are headed with the über speed you will make an extremely low jump(near the ground) but the speed will be fantastic!
- Double jumping will help you get higher up in the air. (Still with the über speed "attached" to you. The hook can be used to drag your enemies towards you at a high speed (if you hit him/her with it).

To circle around an object/obstacle, go against the dragging of your hook (make the hook as long out on the side of the object as possible):

- If you wanna circle around an object to the left standing at the right of the object, hook here (screenshot) will give you enough speed to do this (map: ctf2) now getting the hang of this is to go against your hook (moving towards as in the example: is to holding in the "A" button when you are under the object and "D" when you wanna go right making you go around the object).
- This will make a resistance to the dragging and thus giving you extra length and not as fast in-speed (on your hook).

=======
THE JUMP
=======

Jump from the ground towards the sky

- Often used to reach higher ground.
- Can be combined with double jump for more precision it also gains you a little speed "bonus".
- Can be steered towards other directions in the air.

=============
THE DOUBLE JUMP
=============

Jump on the air for an extra "bounce"

- Extreme mechanism to dodge or avoiding obstacles at a high speed rate as it can be used in the air.
- Opens more possibilities to go to higher grounds more quickly (Double jump: hit your jump key one more time while in the air).
- To get as high bounce possible, practice making the bounce when you are at the highest of your "regular" jump.

==============
THE GRENADE JUMP*
==============

Jump with a boost given by a grenade

- First make a jump, then FAST shoot a granade in the ground.
- Jumping at the exact same time as the grenade hits the ground will give you the maximum height(screenshot).
- You can use it for increase your speed too.

*this trick remove 1~3 heart(s)

======================
THE FORWARD GRENADE JUMP*
======================

Run with a boost given by a grenade

- This way of speed increasing is faster then while using the hook (even if you shoot only once).
- Push move button in direction where you want to go (right side/left side) and shoot directly in your legs (actually you can shoot not directly down and got less damage).
- With each shoot your speed will be faster (I think there is no speed limit).

====================
THE DOUBLE GRENADE JUMP*
====================

Soon (check the link)...

=======
THE MAPS
=======

*Ctf2*

Why? Because the tee got loads of space to move around on, great practice on you're hook and speed. Try moving from a flag all the way to the ninja sword (katana). Write the time down, and try to beat it!

*Race mod*

If you become better at this, you can try the race mod here and play with the racer's community (http://race.teesites.net).

=========
THE VIDEOS
=========

- Movements tutorial: Movements by zach (link)

aka oop²

2 (edited by zach 2008-01-24 22:26:49)

Re: [GAMEPLAY] Movements

Beginner tutorial: How to move?
The movement is quite special in Teewars unlike other games. The speed and precision got to be as perfect as it can be.

The Hook;"A sharp metal piece that you swing yourself with."
   Can achieve great speed and precision if handled correctly. If the tee lands on the ground with
   a high speed forward (given by the hook) the tee will run faster until you manually abort it.
   "A" is the direction of where you are heading with this über speed. And "B" is the other
   direction; if you push towards the other direction ("A") the tee will lose its speed (manual
   abortion). If you however (regular) jump at the same direction of where you are headed with the
   über speed you will make an extremely low jump(near the ground) but the speed will be fantastic!
   Double jumping will help you get higher up in the air. (Still with the über speed "attached" to
   you.
   The hook can be used to drag your enemies towards you at a high speed (if you hit him/her with
   it).

Regular jump; jumps from the ground towards the sky.
   Often used to reach higher ground. Can be combined with double jump for more precision it also
   gains you a little speed "bonus". Can be steered towards other directions in the air

Double jump; jumps on the air for an extra "bounce"
   Extreme mechanism to dodge or avoiding obstacles at a high speed rate as it can be used
   in the air. Opens more possibilities to go to higher grounds more quickly (Double jump: hit
   your jump key one more time while in the air.)

Stage6 is not displaying my screens with text. Watch the Youtube video if you havent seen my tutorial before.
How To: Movement Tutorial(Youtube)
How To: Movement Tutorial(Stage6)

Tips;
Training map: ctf2
Why? Because the tee got loads of space to move around on, great practice on you're hook and speed.
Try moving from a flag all the way to the ninja sword. Write the time down, and try to beat it!

Double jump:
To get as high bounce possible; practice making the bounce when you are at the highest of your "regular" jump.

Hook:
To circle around an object/obstacle, go against the dragging of your hook (make the hook as long out on the side of the object as possible). (Example!)If you wanna circle around an object to the left standing at the right of the object, hook here (* Look at the end of the page) will give you enough speed to do this (map: ctf2) now getting the hang of this is to go against your hook (moving towards as in the example: is to holding in the "A" button when you are under the object and "D" when you wanna go right making you go around the object). This will make a resistance to the dragging and thus giving you extra length and not as fast in-speed (on your hook).
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2363/leftgh5.th.jpg
Special thanks to:
chi11y (Helping me with the movie, and compressing it.)
Tobias (Supporting friend when I needed him the most during this tutorial)
Daniel| (Feedback on the movie)
DEV-team (Without you, this tutorial nor the hole game would exist. /me salutes CHEERS!)

Tools used:
Adobe Photoshop CS3 (Editing)
Adobe Premiere CS3 (Editing)
Fraps (Recording)
Virtual Dub (Compressing)

Music:
Theme - The Ghostbusters!

Tutorial Requested by: PrimeviL
Tutorial author: zach

Hope you enyojed watching as much as I did doing this movie.
Got more requests? Something I missed?

zach @ quakenet.
Available for map-testing. Msg.

I will try to make a vid tutorial as soon as i get home from university.
What exactly would you like to have in this lil movie?

I'm guessing anything and everything that you think that beginners need to know about moving around a map...

Movement tutorials could be taken way beyond beginner level eventually, I´m sure smile. Not that familiar with the making of movies yet, so I´ll just follow the development of what others do for now smile.

6 (edited by Struppi 2008-01-23 00:30:27)

I would Like to do a Tutorial but i have actually no clue about fraps^^.

I`ll try it and host it first on Youtube.

Greetings Struppi

€dit: allright its just my first attemp and there were some mistake (For example the description)
but if this is this the way u want the Tutorials i would like to Record some more stuff and edit them.
Or Just Record wink

Tutorial #1

vid down. i am currently messing around with capturing my gameplay on linux hmm

maybe in 0.4 with the new editor i will made a tutorial map with tutorial content

PrimeviL wrote:
jeppo wrote:

maybe in 0.4 with the new editor i will made a tutorial map with tutorial content

Really nice idea dood =)

got the wrong video link, sorry for that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF69rJjPVkg

thats what i mean
But without arrows but with images (anim) depict and explain what to do.

well doesnt almost everyone know how to jump in teewars?
everyone doesnt know how to use the hook to move fast, explaining how the hook physics works a little and telling the viewer/reader how/where they can practice to get better with the hook is good to. telling them to watch some player who already know how to play good is good learning too, i learned how to move fast in the game 2nd day i played because i were lucky too meet a good player that i played with for around a hour. oh and, the tutorial doesnt even say how to jump wink

Its just about a concept of how to do the movement.... its just an
example...... i have more recorded of some movement for example of
hooking (bunnyhop-hook sth. its just to get more speed doesnet know
how to call it)

greets

well, I've made a guide to movement that is included in the race_mod, should I put it up in this topic?

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

14 (edited by jeppo 2008-01-28 20:35:03)

i think animated gifs would be a good way to integrate the tutorials easaly in the teewars page.

quick and dirty example:
http://jeppo.de/bilder/Teewars/rocketjump.gif

windows: virtualdub can export as gif
linux: ffmpeg and mencoder can convert to gif

@chi11y: Yes

@jeppo: good idea

aka oop²

16 (edited by jeppo 2008-02-05 22:08:32)

first concept of a tutorial tileset
(yes i know text is not readable wink)
text are ripped from zach post and from the guide to movement that is included in the race_mod. thx

update:
coordinate fixed
screenshot added
text are gone because not readable
text replaced with example images

tutorial_tileset.png

screenshots:
jtut1-01.jpg
jtut1-02.jpg
jtut1-03.jpg
jtut1-04.jpg

Example Alpha Test Map Download:
http://jeppo.de/wordpress/wp-content/up … ut1map.zip

map moved to map forum
http://www.teewars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=550

cool stuff jeppo smile

Yeah, that's really nice! Although, I have to admit it took me a minute to figure out what the Pokéballs were for smile

19 (edited by jeppo 2008-02-05 22:08:15)

many changes
example alpha test map added
update on test map

map moved to map forum
http://www.teewars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=550

That's great Jeppo. It looks quite professional! This will help the new players a lot.

But I think the new players will only play this map if it's part of the teewars download, because most of the "noobs" won't visit the forum.

"Deine Mutter ist eine Inputbox!"

Sweet jeppo, if you don't mind I'll try to work the idea further. smile

No, that is not me; it's just a figment of your imagination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JYaPfjStfA
This video isnt working (ends in 15 seks of 1:25)
But maybe it is my prob ?

Works fine for me.

*first post updated*

aka oop²

i noticed some crappy stuff... here it is:
=======
THE HOOK
=======

If the tee lands on the ground with a high speed

Actually it's possible to make uber speed while walking, no need to land on the ground...
Just hit the ground with ur hook while walking and here it is - uber speed!

U can make a single jump WHILE using a hook. (only once)
U can make a single jump AFTER using of hook. (only once)

=============
THE DOUBLE JUMP
=============

U can NOT make it if u fall of the ground. (i mean just walk off the top and u will able to do jump only ONCE)

===============
THE GRENADE JUMP
===============

First make a jump, then FAST shoot a granade in the ground.

Mat wrote:

===============
THE GRENADE JUMP
===============

First make a jump, then FAST shoot a granade in the ground.

Actually, jumping at the exact same time as the grenade hits the ground will give you the maximum hight.

Used to be very active waay back