1 (edited by yemDX 2009-08-17 14:22:17)

Topic: [SOLVED] How to overcome lag problems?

I'm a huge lagger on all servers, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for laggers like me. D:

I try the debug mode, that helps a bit but my screen resolution makes all the text in the way and I can hardly see anything, and I don't want anything like "play on lagless server" because that isn't an option. :( Also, I lag because of location, not because of programs, such as MSN. I have lag all the time, and I need some tips from people to cope with this lag.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Re: [SOLVED] How to overcome lag problems?

Close downloads and programs that you don't need such as msn etc.

Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.

Pepperoni wrote:

Close downloads and programs that you don't need such as msn etc.

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't make it quite clear enough. I'm in the USA, and the majority of servers are German/French. It leaves me with 150 ping in French, 180 in German. I'll edit my post..

Ex-King of Teeworlds

4 (edited by Soulbound 2009-08-22 02:30:27)

It's not too old so I 'd say something, first my server is based in the usa and I live in canada and my ping is 60 so come play there 69.56.173.249:7005 or 6 or 4 or 3 or 2 or 1. also reducing windows and stuff won't less your lag but if you have a crappy computer. also captain I dunno if youre living in europe but this topic has been made to get help we didnt ask your subjective opinion, don t be hypocrite ok ? perhaps he excepted an ip of a north america server instead of useless comments

splinter cell conviction will never outshine chaos theory!!!

I'm in the US too but I don't have any lag problems. What OS you using?

duckyboy1975 wrote:

I'm in the US too but I don't have any lag problems. What OS you using?

If you play on US servers you won't have lag, but I usually play on German/French servers, which just have higher ping because of location. Windows XP, if it still matters.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

7 (edited by Mikael96 2009-09-07 05:28:19)

I have usually 80-100 ping in one instagib server with 1280X800 resolution. If i lower my resolutinon to 600X480, my ping is 60-70 wink

Mikael96 wrote:

I have usually 80-100 ping in one instagib server with 1280X800 resolution. If i lower my resolutinon to 600X480, my ping is 60-70 wink

I'll give that a try, thanks. ;D

Ex-King of Teeworlds

yemDX wrote:
Mikael96 wrote:

I'll give that a try, thanks. ;D

Im not sure if thath work. My laptop is slow, it can maybe work only on slow computers. Fastes have same ping with difrent resolution. But im not sure...

Hi there! yay, first post ^^

To the topic:
I play on european servers, too, and I live in Canada. Also, my ping is ALWAYS higher than 150, but I can play fine and w/o any lags... Maybe it's the maps that you play? I have lots of lags on big maps (like race and stuff), try some simple maps like CTF, DM, etc. Not sure if that helps, good luck anyway

McHammer wrote:

Hi there! yay, first post ^^

To the topic:
I play on european servers, too, and I live in Canada. Also, my ping is ALWAYS higher than 150, but I can play fine and w/o any lags... Maybe it's the maps that you play? I have lots of lags on big maps (like race and stuff), try some simple maps like CTF, DM, etc. Not sure if that helps, good luck anyway

Well, I can play fine too, but I'm talking about playing better.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

changing resolution shouldnt change anything... its not really a lag than... more it is a bad PC... The ping calculation in tw seems to be strange anyway.
Well my ping is between 40 and 60 (depends if i play on a german or a french server)... doenst matter if i play with 1920x1200 or with 800x600.

U can try to turn off vsync in game. it seems to lower the ping even there isnt really a sense :\

If u have the money... try to get a better internet connection if there is any chance but i guess faster is not possible sad
If u use wifi try to use a wire instead. If your internet allways lags it will even more in tw wink tw hates lags but if your connection is stable there wont be any lags... u will just have the delay but u will get used to it if its without lags wink

I know i shouldnt say that since i cant play with a ping above 80 :\

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

Sushi Tee wrote:

changing resolution shouldnt change anything... its not really a lag than... more it is a bad PC... The ping calculation in tw seems to be strange anyway.
Well my ping is between 40 and 60 (depends if i play on a german or a french server)... doenst matter if i play with 1920x1200 or with 800x600.

U can try to turn off vsync in game. it seems to lower the ping even there isnt really a sense :\

If u have the money... try to get a better internet connection if there is any chance but i guess faster is not possible sad
If u use wifi try to use a wire instead. If your internet allways lags it will even more in tw wink tw hates lags but if your connection is stable there wont be any lags... u will just have the delay but u will get used to it if its without lags wink

I know i shouldnt say that since i cant play with a ping above 80 :\

I've said this numerous times, it's location, not anything to do with internet. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on playing with lag, since it's not possible for me to get better internet connection, or move to Europe. ;(

Ex-King of Teeworlds

if your internet connection were stable u wouldnt have any lags... so waht about the wifi stuff or is your connection shared with other ppl and and and... xD
did u try the vsync thing or is it off anyways? In some cases its turned on by default in the grafic driver...
u can easyly check it with the frame rate in game... its constant and normaly 60 its turned on. If the value is changing all the time (i dont mean between 58 and 60. Lets say between 200 and 250 or what ever) its turned off!

and i wrote if possible... if not well... bad luck :\

if your connection is stable as u claim there isnt any possibility to change your problem in a positve way sad

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

Sushi Tee wrote:

if your internet connection were stable u wouldnt have any lags... so waht about the wifi stuff or is your connection shared with other ppl and and and... xD
did u try the vsync thing or is it off anyways? In some cases its turned on by default in the grafic driver...
u can easyly check it with the frame rate in game... its constant and normaly 60 its turned on. If the value is changing all the time (i dont mean between 58 and 60. Lets say between 200 and 250 or what ever) its turned off!

and i wrote if possible... if not well... bad luck :\

if your connection is stable as u claim there isnt any possibility to change your problem in a positve way sad

f

Yeah, V-sync is off, all that stuff. Thanks for the tips, and my internet connection is pretty stable, except at 3 AM, but I don't usually play that late.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

There's more than one reason. You could be experiencing server lag, processor lag or graphics lag. Usually with processor lag, your processor is only as good as the memory you have equipped with it. So for instance, if you have 1 gig of RAM and you're always slow all the time then you can bump to 2 gig and see a big difference.
Graphics lag is somewhat similar with some exceptions. If you don't have suitable memory on board then the graphics card is only going to go so far. Also, if the settings on your game are set to maximum then you can set them to minimum and see the difference. Your quality will be cut into but you should run a little faster IF it's graphics lag that is causing the problem.
Server lag involves the load on the server. IF you're playing at peak hours then all the suggestions above will have some effect but nothing notable. Also server lag involves your transmission device. For instance, a dial up connection is going to move slower than a DSL line. What that means is no matter how fast the server is, you're only going to be able to receive whatever amount of information your modem is capable to processing.
Sometimes sound can contribute but its a very rare occurance.
Most of the time, you can rid yourself of some lag by turning down the graphics in your game's options menu.

I quote others only to better express myself

It's the location.
The USA is large, and has a central, east coast, and west coast. From what I know, yem is around central time, therefore has more lags than those of you USAs from the eastern coast.
Also, it could be because your ISP has problems, but otherwise, its location. Question answered (right?).

USA pride. What now.

problem solved got new computer, close

Ex-King of Teeworlds