Topic: Gameplay Suggestions

I would suggest an ability to bounce :

Bouncing:
when the tee aproaches a vertical surface while in mid air (and hooking is currently not active), the player has to hit the jumpkey again and the tee will get some extra velocity and bounce back from the surface.

Bouncing extends the gameplay and gives skilled players an ability to do some nice tricks when combined with the use of the hook.
For example: when the angle fits the tee will be able to reach higher areas much quicker, like shown in the picture (this is my working computer, so I had to draw the image with MS-Paint):

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1949/bouncing2ra9.png
Legend:
blue line=the hook
red curve=swinging with the hook
red dots=midair moving without hanging on the hook
green arrow curve=bouncing effect

----
In this second example the player hooks towards the wall and releases the hook shortly before hitting the wall:
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/2420/bouncing3tu6.png
Legend:
blue line=the hook
red line=swinging with the hook
red dots=midair moving without hanging on the hook
green arrow curve=bouncing effect
green dots=midair curve after the bounce

Maybe the amount of bounces which can be performed while the player is in the air should be limited to one or two bounces. Before bouncing again, the player has to touch the ground first. Otherwise it would be possible to do endless jumps between two walls which are standing close to each other. On the other hand multiple bouncing could fit well into the current gameplay... I can't tell without testing, so you developers maybe should do so.

What do you think about the idea? Does it fit into the gameplay?

Re: Gameplay Suggestions

Love the idea, Bass. Another way to do it would be to make the bounces natural, not a key-press thing, so basicly the tees would be like a ball, bouncing off of walls regardless of the player input. But it would probably mess up the game, so scratch that smile.
Your way would definetly bring an additional tactic layer to the gameplay tho. Evasion would be even sweeter smile.

I've have experimented a bit with this a few weeks ago. I've made the tee more bouncy but that just makes the player loose the control of the tee. Then I experimented with having wall jumps that you have to press to execute. I thought it might be cool but in the end, it just.. felt useless and redundant because it added something that isn't that useful as long as we have a capable hook. So I took it out again.

matricks, Did you make every side of the tee "bouncy"? If you did, try to make only the sides bouncy, if that's possible.

//Boerworz

Atm, moving with the hook is just...perfect !

aka oop²

PrimeviL wrote:

Agreed. It's "bouncy" enough to perform. Controlling the hook while in mid-air works very nicely.

Slayer

It's hammering time!

Slayer wrote:
PrimeviL wrote:

Agreed. It's "bouncy" enough to perform. Controlling the hook while in mid-air works very nicely.

Actually, I think the hook is too perfect. Even in places where distances are perfect for jumping, hooking is faster. I´d like too see that using the hook were just slightly slower (in the speed you throw it, and in the speed it draws you in), too make the choice between ways too move more balanced.

Bouncing could get a niche then, too, since it could be a bit faster but having the drawback of you committing yourself too a certain movement pattern for a brief while, which is always a risk.

Bouncing might a bit too ucontrolled too fit in the teewars feel though. The ability too jump from walls could be real nice though. Then you could confuse your opponent by jumping up on the wall and then jump from it right past him wink.

Another idea could be too make it so that if youre pressing a sideways button when you start jumping you´ll jump faster (but committed too that direction). That way you´d still be able too make small controlled jumps too dodge, but there´d be an alternative too hooking around for moving fast. Of course, it might get a bit too hard too control. Maybe it should only trigger after a certain running distance or something.

Nah, I think this sounds way to complex to fit the teewars philosophy...
I think hooking works just fine.

Used to be very active waay back

Agreed whit FireArrow. Dudes, it's Teewars not War§ow smile
Imho and as i said, moves are "perfect"...

aka oop²

Looks cool, although maybe a bit complicated. Is it really needed? Doublejump is enough. smile

No, that is not me; it's just a figment of your imagination.

Dreamy wrote:

Actually, I think the hook is too perfect. Even in places where distances are perfect for jumping, hooking is faster. I´d like too see that using the hook were just slightly slower (in the speed you throw it, and in the speed it draws you in), too make the choice between ways too move more balanced.

FireArrow wrote:

Nah, I think this sounds way to complex to fit the teewars philosophy...
I think hooking works just fine.

Red is wrong, blue is correct. Sorry for bringing this up, but I can't help myself when it comes to language. sad

To make this at least a little on topic, I wish all ideas people came up with on the forums were this thought out. But yeah, it doesn't seem necessary to further improve tee movement to me. After all, they're Cute little buggers with the hook™.