226 (edited by lamefun 2009-09-19 11:00:17)

Re: [COMPETITION] Teeworlds MDC (Map Design Competition)

I just showed, your watermark was too weak, It needs only 5 minutes for EVERYONE to remove with graphic editor smile You better comperessed it with JPEG, disorted something and then added some text above it. It would be harder to remove.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1558/goldenteewm.jpg
- good, impossible to remove watermark

Merged double posts. // ~{MS}~ Azon

Oh no. How many people took this skin? :X
And I'm not missing, you should expect results next week at the latest.

I need to figure out something to put here.

228 (edited by Jon 2009-09-24 11:53:47)

Hey everyone! This is the moment you've all been waiting for:

MDC RESULTS
Brisingr, 1st Place, CTF
Lordskelethom’s Brisingr is an excellent, overall polished map. It excels in all three of the categories we were judging. For starters, the gameplay is wonderful. It is a large map that can support as many players as possible, yet Brisingr flows so that it takes only around ten seconds to get across from one flag to another. The lava pits that dot the lower middle part of the map only serve to make it a more exciting experience. Unfortunately, the two spots near the flags require hooking to move through quickly, making it less enjoyable for first time players. Apart from this minor issue, however, Lordskelethom’s map wins an A+ with fun and accessibility. The graphics are similarly well done. The moving lava at the bottom of the screen and the small sparks it emits are just part of the great feel that the unique quads and tilesets create. Both judges agreed that Brisingr is a stellar map, but to experience its full scope, you’ll have to try it for yourself.

Ctf_jungle_drum, 2nd Place, CTF
037’s jungle_drum is truly an exemplary map. It does an excellent job at filling the niche of a small CTF map, like ctf1, but it manages to pack the same amount of fun as a large map like ctf2 into an 80x40 canvas. One of the greatest features about 037’s map over the vanilla small maps is the fact that it prevents the user from running across the map too quickly. On top of this, there are several places where the defending team can post defenses against the invading team. This all adds up for a great gameplay experience. Though jungle_drum’s graphics are not the most unique, they still flow together and are certainly worthy of the default maps. So thanks, 037, for making small maps fun again!

Ctf_stars, 3rd Place, CTF
One thing you can say about Variecs’s ctf_stars is that it has amazing gameplay. Described as a “very fast 3v3 map,” ctf_stars’s main focus is aerial combat, so if flying though the air with a grenade launcher and a grappling hook is your thing, then this map is for you. Likewise, you’ll enjoy this map if you like hurdling through the air dodging stray bullets. But for new players and people who don’t like the thrill of fighting in the air, this map will be challenging and at time not enjoyable. Like any map with a main focus on grappling, ctf_stars is oriented toward experienced players. Still, if you think you’re up to it, give ctf_stars a spin; you may find it quite fun.

Dm_sunshine, 1st Place, DM
Being a small DM map, not many would expect tee~killa’s dm_sunshine to get first place for DM. However, dm_sunshine exhibits excellent accessibility, gameplay, and graphics at the same time. For the most important of the three criteria, gameplay, dm_sunshine came in first because it is easy to get around yet well-spaced out at the same time. This allows for a good experience for new players and the grenade-throwing, shotgun-spitting, hook-grappling action that advanced players crave. There is really nothing to criticize about the gameplay about tee~killa’s map. Though the graphics are nothing revolutionary, this map could indubitably be included with the vanilla maps. So try out dm_sunshine, because you’ll like what you see.

Dm_lazy, 2nd Place, DM
Delo’s dm_lazy is just another example of a map done right. After a single play, one can tell that all the elements were carefully arranged to be spaced just far enough to allow grapplers to build up speed but just close enough to allow jumping from one platform to another. This means that dm_lazy can provide fun to all levels of players. What ultimately decided that this map would be second place, however, was that it is a bit too large. Its relatively big size ultimately prevents a good fighting experience for under 6 players, and the fact that weapons are few and far between encumber the play for more than 6 players. Still Delo says it was “hard work to build and to test it.” This effort comes out in the graphics, which are some of the best in DM maps we have seen in this competition, exhibiting just the right use of doodads, animation, and main tiles. So if you decide to play dm_lazy, you’ll know why it got this high.

Dm_jungel, 3rd Place, DM
Zatline’s dm_jungel takes a new approach to gameplay. In several ways, Zatline demonstrates interesting concepts, the first being to divide the map into four areas, each with their own possibility for battle.  In this way, Zatline has given a relatively small map potential to hold many more players than is usually possible. In addition, Zatline has given the map a lot of weapons, a great trait for people  who like fighting instead of searching for ammo. However, dm_jungel is not without its issues, the most important being the slight crowdedness of collision tiles towards the top of the map and the over-abundance of health and armor pickups. Otherwise, however, playing Zatline’s map is a first-class experience. The graphics are also well done. Dm_jungel shows a mastery of jungle_main, one of the most difficult to use of the vanilla tilesets. So clearly, dm_jungel is great example of gameplay and graphics, and a must-play for any fans of DM.

Hprace_snow, 1st Place, Race
I’m generally not a fan of HpRaces. The tedious steps involved are a little too much for me, especially since I have to send my signal all the way across the Atlantic Ocean. But HpRace Snow changed my mind. Not only is Gnaa’s map a very fun HpRace, but it focuses more on the fast and furious mechanics of racing, such as jumping, rather than the typical affair, which generally involves hair-width acrobatic maneuvers.  Another thing that distinguishes HpRace_Snow is its learning curve. The challenges are all consistently difficult, and there are not any sudden ramps in hardness. This shows how much effort Gnaa put into considering each part of the map. Similar to the original run maps, HpRace_Snow is extremely well-crafted, and it shows. The graphics of HpRace_snow are also very good. They are crisp and clean, and the typical mish-mash of shadow tiles, nrace, and main tiles is not present here. In fact, almost every graphic in Gnaa’s map is changed to fit the snowy theme. Overall, HpRace is a unique and extremely enjoyable map that even people who don’t like HpRaces will appreciate.

Run_snow, 2nd Place, Race
There was a minor dispute over second place, so run_snow has been chosen as the final result.

Run_air-condition, 3rd Place, Race
Harkening back to the days of the original race mod (0.3.4), Run_air-condition is a map that provides a challenge yet is accessible to more players. However, Khan’s map is more than just a fun experience, it also shows good production values for a race map. For starters, there are several themed areas: cave, factory, and jungle. Each of these areas have their owned challenges, from swinging in the jungle to dodging sharp gears in the factory. At this point, Run_air-condition has already outstripped most race maps, but Khan continues to surprise. There is also a backstory; a giant fan is freezing the world, and the player must stop it. Actually seeing the oscillating blades at the end, and pressing the “off” button, is a satisfying end. Any fans of race, new or experienced, should definitely play Run_air-condition, or they’ll miss out on a great example of its genre.

IMPORTANT: All prizewinners, please send me an email using the forum mailer if you want the prizes. We have some great prizes for everyone. Server hosters, I will also send you the scifi game.

Finally, thanks everyone who helped this competition for rising to the occasion and getting this thing off the ground.

Good job and congratulations to all participants and organizers. smile

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

Big special thanks go to JON. Thank you very much for this great map design competition!

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

I'm a bit astonished by the ranking... but it was fun, thank you ! big_smile

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Great descriptions for each maps Jon, thank you for this contest and as said Chi1,

Chi11y wrote:

Good job and congratulations to all participants and organizers. smile

lordskelethom - want to reach me quickly? https://discord.gg/teeworlds

great contest big_smile

but you forget to add my dm_shiny to the top of the dm maps, dont you?

der037@web.de

Please use an english signature //heinrich5991

at first congratulations to all winners and oc participants smile
You all did a good job expect those maps which was disqualified ^^

i think jon did a mistake....none of the judges said that run_macrometric is 2nd place. Only i said its MY PERSONAL (caps ftw xD) opinion cuz i like hard maps... its not good in general.

2nd place should be run_snow or run_montain_world wink

anyway thx to jon and all other judges for taking the time to take care of this competition smile

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

Hey Sushi Tee, I think I misunderstood your judging comments. Because you and lordskelethom both said run_snow, that will win second place. Still though, because I said that Dune got second place, I think it is fair that both he and Revenge get the prize. Next time, I will try to be more organized. For now, I will change the ranking post.

Everyone else, thanks for your comments. I'm glad you liked the MDC.

236 (edited by TheGnaa 2009-09-24 12:17:39)

very nice competition...and congratulations to all other prize winners...

ctf_lava didnt take part in the competition oO

teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

Captain AMN wrote:

Because of ctf_lava not being in the top3 of the CTF maps, i think this competition has totally lost it's meaning.

And seeing that a knock-off of that map actually wins, makes it even more worthless.

ctf_lava was made before this competition, read the rules, noob

Please use an english signature //heinrich5991

well i totally agree with the ctf maps results

but  i kinda disagree with the dm maps results since the awseome dm_finland is missing which has better gameplay than some of the winning maps. I totally disagree with dm_lazy , it was a really bad playing experience. And dm_ jungle is underrated it was more fun than dm_sunshine which got first place.

Well in the end im not a fan of run maps more like of race maps but since there wasn´t any in this competition (correct me if i´m wrong) i won´t say anything about this category.

In the end nice to see that such competitions exists hopefully there will be some more of them. More or Less great work Jon and judges keep going.

What I'd like to see is for all the first second and third place wining maps could be put on sever for all to play and enjoy.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

241 (edited by Sushi Tee 2009-09-24 15:14:48)

jon asked me to host the first 2 race maps smile
ill set up a server very soon ^^

the server will stay some time... than the mpas will be integrated into the map rotation of the other servers!

edit: servers are up ^^

*gV* rox ^^

Special thanks on Jon who started the competition for us and takes some time to give every map a short result.

Thanks to all judges who spend the time to test all competition maps.

And last but (not least xD) congratulations to all winners!!

243 (edited by Coold0wn 2009-09-24 16:04:34)

Could you tell us the points plz.
difficulty, playability, and graphics

edit: gz to the winners smile

«Honor øf Tees»
hot.bplaced.net/forum
We still search good Members

i think jon did a mistake....none of the judges said that run_macrometric is 2nd place. Only i said its MY PERSONAL (caps ftw xD) opinion cuz i like hard maps... its not good in general.

You understand why I was a bit astonished xD
I realized when Lord tested it that the end was painfoul, tedious... I'm open if you have some idea to improve it.

Still though, because I said that Dune got second place, I think it is fair that both he and Revenge get the prize.

I have some problems to understand why it would be fair that I get the same prize than Revenge whereas I get no more merit than being victim of a judging mistake...

Not Luck, Just Magic.

something goes wrong here.. very much!
if 3 maps should be place 2, but the third place is safe..
why are not 2 of the maps place 2 and 3 Oo
first think and clear everything up, then tell us the results.

«Honor øf Tees»
hot.bplaced.net/forum
We still search good Members

he thought everything up... he just understood something wrong... such things happen wink

*gV* rox ^^

247 (edited by TeBob 2009-09-24 16:52:59)

Sad, my maps dont win but I think, I invested to much time for making the graphics and then the gameplay wasn't very good.

sad

You'll get the prize for the best graphics: *clap**clap**clap*

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

2nd place smile smile cool

visit our clan!
=Eagle=

xD tongue