Topic: Buddy List

I was playing the game and I have the idea of a buddy list.
It'll list our friends and show their status...
I think you could put a private chat too.

For the buddy list idea, I suggest that all players register their usernames...

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Re: Buddy List

I disagree. It's not worth implementing another IM in the game. Use Jabber!

@Slinack, I agree with a buddy list and the private chat options... It would be great if you could see if your friends are online and in which servers they are. Being able to chat with them is just an added bonus.

I have thought about this and I know how I wanna do it. It will probebly be in 0.5.0.

5 (edited by lazy_bum 2008-02-04 10:53:11)

@astsmtl
This could be combined. XMPP is open protocol, right? You got your "private" ID (like someone@some-xmpp-server). Also, it could be combined with player identification. Right now someone can join your-favorite-server-with-stats as You and ruin You hiscore. (:

6 (edited by astsmtl 2008-02-05 20:25:02)

lazy_bum wrote:

This could be combined. XMPP is open protocol, right? You got your "private" ID (like someone@some-xmpp-server). Also, it could be combined with player identification. Right now someone can join your-favorite-server-with-stats as You and ruin You hiscore. (:

That's right. But then you need some centralized authentication system and it should be always online. For example http://www.mtp-target.org works this way.

astsmtl wrote:

That's right. But then you need some centralized authentication system and it should be always online. http://www.mtp-target.org works this way.

Thats the beautiful part. You don't need a centralized authentication system. Anyone can setup a jabber server.

i don't need it, but would be nice for clans!

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

matricks wrote:
astsmtl wrote:

That's right. But then you need some centralized authentication system and it should be always online. http://www.mtp-target.org works this way.

Thats the beautiful part. You don't need a centralized authentication system. Anyone can setup a jabber server.

As I understand this means that the game will log in to some jabber server and player will be identified in game with his JID? If so, it could be really progressive! Never saw a game integrated with Jabber. smile

Slinack and Landil : agree

ThePuMa Clan

maybe it would help, if you can copy the "host adress" out of the game to send it to other players...

12 (edited by EvilDentist 2008-02-06 16:25:11)

Hey my first post big_smile
Buddy list is what i´ve been missing all along..  Nice call Matricks i´m longing for the 0.5.0
and JanPanse u have nice point there.. annoying that u cant paste/copy host adresses

P.S i found out bout the game couple of months ago or something... and it blew me away! great work! whoever took the initiative Matricks perhaps smile

astsmtl wrote:
matricks wrote:
astsmtl wrote:

As I understand this means that the game will log in to some jabber server and player will be identified in game with his JID? If so, it could be really progressive! Never saw a game integrated with Jabber. smile

It shouldn't (how do I know by the way big_smile ) be a problem to implement this, it could be a ordinary jabber client integrated in the teewars gui. By this i mean if you have other friends connected you will se them too, the only problem is how to know which ones are online inside teewars. Hmm, maybe I spoke a little too early hmm

14 (edited by astsmtl 2008-02-07 10:51:17)

jangs wrote:
astsmtl wrote:
matricks wrote:

It shouldn't (how do I know by the way big_smile ) be a problem to implement this, it could be a ordinary jabber client integrated in the teewars gui. By this i mean if you have other friends connected you will se them too, the only problem is how to know which ones are online inside teewars. Hmm, maybe I spoke a little too early hmm

I'm not a Jabber expert, but I think it's possible. I saw non-standart XMPP extensions, for ex. whiteboard, which work only in some clients but not in others. Another possibility is using Jabber resource. Teewars will login to Jabber server with hardcoded 'teewars' resource and then check which online contacts in roster are logged in with 'teewars' resource.

Just some thoughts tongue

Not to piss on anyone's parade, but what's wrong with the #teewars IRC channel on QuakeNet? It has over a hundred people in it and most of us have highlights set so that you can summon us at any time provided we're anywhere near our computer.

Okay, you can't see what server we're playing on at the moment, but it's a good enough start. It also encourages people to talk to each other when arranging games instead of just double clicking a name and start shooting. But I guess that's just me... hmm

cool idea

big_smile I'm sorry for my bad English

If it will be jabber/xmpp... will it support SSL? (/me uses SSL).