1 (edited by ShootMe 2008-02-02 00:49:27)

Topic: Unique Id's?

Do you guys plan on implementing a unique id system(aka registering and logging into the master server)? I just remembered how useful unique ids are today when playing on my server. Not sure who it was but the player was named Vekkin. He had joined twice into the server and was spamming big time, so I kicked both his players then to my surpise he joined back and did the same thing and every time I kicked he would rejoin. Very annoying indeed. And I would very much of liked to ban him but this is not possible sad. Even though I know that if there was unique ids he could just reregister so forth, but at least it wouldn't be an instant rejoin.

Re: Unique Id's?

Useless unless the system is so complex it's bad again.

I don't care.

Yeah i saw it to. I think the problem is with allowing two players with same nick join one server. When one "Vekkin" switched team server switched both to negative team.

4 (edited by ShootMe 2008-02-02 02:37:11)

Teetees wrote:

This makes no sense at all, and apparently you don't care at all that one player can ruin the game for everyone very simply.

A ban based on IP is what we need.

Used to be very active waay back

6 (edited by Teetees 2008-02-02 07:46:25)

ShootMe wrote:
Teetees wrote:

This makes no sense at all, and apparently you don't care at all that one player can ruin the game for everyone very simply.

It does. Make an easy unique id system and the ones that really want to cause trouble still can cause trouble. Bad guys are usually the ones with knowledge. So if you want to stop them as well your id system has to be quite complex (think of PunkBuster's id system) and this usually breaks any simplicity. For example, PunkBuster uses the computer's hardware to identify you as a client. This means it has to access a shitload of not-portable API to gain the data to calculate this one hopefully unique hash.

FireArrow wrote:

A ban based on IP is what we need.

Probably the best it gets, still keeps the kids away from doing horseplay.

I don't care.

We have some future thoughts about this... But with a jabber style twist maybe smile

Languages shapes the way we think, or don't.