Topic: [COMMUNITY] Now that I'm a mod

Heads are going to fall. Those who enjoy my Teeworlds servers know how soft my hand is when it comes to people that misbehave big_smile.

I'll add one warning silently for useless posts. I define useless posts as offtopic, not funny, in bad English, or that don't bring anything to the discussion.

First one for bobsmiley for congratulating me in the clan thread just after I made clear it was only for announcements. Each time I delete a post, I'll add a warning. After 3 warnings people get banned.

The forums are currently full of BS and I'm here with my flame-thrower, ready to burn. Please note that intelligent, well-written, funny and useful posts will on the other hand get more attention since the forum quality will be higher and posts will be enjoyable once again.

Thanks for reading. Don't reply if you don't have anything meaningful to say. wink

2 (edited by TeBob 2009-04-08 14:41:17)

Re: [COMMUNITY] Now that I'm a mod

Magnet wrote:

The forums are currently full of BS...

What do you mean with BS http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/117/smiley.png

PS: You have deleted my post where I concretulate you and this is ok. Now im want to concratulate you here in the right topic. http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/5229/smileybig.png

EDIT:
Have I a warning now or not? I hope not. http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/2087/smileysca.png

bobsmiley wrote:

What do you mean with BS http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/117/smiley.png

Bullshit.

bobsmiley wrote:

Have I a warning now or not?

Yes.

khubajsn wrote:

Can you say us how can be moderators?

Yes. Don't post useless chatter and use proper English, and wait.

I elect moderators that I trust or trust by proxy that I see is fit for the task.

Asking to be a moderator will make you a non-candidate.

5 (edited by khubajsn 2009-04-08 14:48:51)

What? I never sent a post in what I wanted to be a moderator, matricks and magnet tongue

Goodbye all. Account inactive since March 2011.

6 (edited by TeBob 2009-04-08 14:56:03)

Magnet wrote:

Each time I delete a post, I'll add a warning. After 3 warnings people get banned.

Are there any exceptions?

I mean exceptions for new members and im trying to say thanks after feedback because its rude to ignore the feedback.

khubajsn wrote:

What? I never sent a post in what I wanted to be a moderator, matricks and magnet tongue

Nowhere we said you asked. Now, this is exactly the kind of useless post I'm talking about. I'll be very nice for this one time and let it be, but stop using this forum as a chat room or you will end-up being banned. I know you don't mean harm but a forum is meant as a tool for others to get meaningful information and feel of the community, and this is exactly what we want no more.

And don't reply yet again if you don't have something MEANINGFUL to say. Which so far hasn't happened ever from what I read.

bobsmiley wrote:

Are there any exceptions?

No. Why on Earth would you ask that? You just can't stop posting, can you?

Avoid posts to say "thanks". Be rude instead, that's better for the forum. Or say thanks in-game. No exceptions for newcomers.

Just use the forums to talk about Teeworlds and you will be fine. Stop discussing the rules, just follow them. In fact any half-witted person would follow them without actually trying to because they're just common sense, but I'm afraid it is something that kids lack these days.

bobsmiley wrote:

1.I have explained it at the top.
2.Ok sry http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/415/smileyunh.png I will stop.

2nd warning. You are going to establish a new record. That should be obvious at this point, but I'll write it anyway: replying further will get you banned.

Nice initiative. Sometimes things need to move on, and I hope this can be a way to stop flamings and *cough* stupid posts. By the way, courage dude, since I guess this can be pretty time taking... sad

~{MS}~ Eve ~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan
VISIT US: http://www.monkeystyle.tk
Check out our IRC channel: #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki: http://teewiki.info

Guys!
I understand - you want to stop flaming posts and you want to >deny< it for those posts authors.
But I dont think the banning is a solution. Do you think when you ban somebody, he will be play TeeWorlds anymore?
I think - I am just such like it what will I say - but when you will do it to me, I will stop playing TW, going on the TW.com website and I will stop making czech fansite. Right-it is not much good nature of me...
That what I want say is this -> Banning is not solution of it. You will just make banned people angry and them will not play TeeWorlds anymore. I dont agree with it.
For example: bobsmiley. He makes nice skins and maps, and you want to ban him. And reason? He answered to you.
Just my opinion.
Khubajsn

Goodbye all. Account inactive since March 2011.

khubajsn wrote:

Guys!
I understand - you want to stop flaming posts and you want to >deny< it for those posts authors.
But I dont think the banning is a solution. Do you think when you ban somebody, he will be play TeeWorlds anymore?
I think - I am just such like it what will I say - but when you will do it to me, I will stop playing TW, going on the TW.com website and I will stop making czech fansite. Right-it is not much good nature of me...
That what I want say is this -> Banning is not solution of it. You will just make banned people angry and them will not play TeeWorlds anymore. I dont agree with it.
For example: bobsmiley. He makes nice skins and maps, and you want to ban him. And reason? He answered to you.
Just my opinion.
Khubajsn

Hm. I think, it IS a solution, even if it is a hard one. They will learn to behave... and I think the ban will not take for forever, yeah? So they come back after 1-2 weeks and they know that they get banned if they do BS.
And maybe Magnet will decrease the time they are banned when they excuse friendly in IRC... wink

Oh, and you won't get a ban if you just behave adult.

Hooker

Hooker's collection of the most Tee-ish skins!
http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=39896

khubajsn wrote:

Guys!
Just my opinion.
Khubajsn

If someone is banned from the forums, that doesn't mean he is banned in Teeworlds. If someone stops playing TW because he's banned on the forums, that's his problem.

We are not going to spend our lives deleting useless posts, so yes, there will be banning. Members who have otherwise useful contribution (graphics, etc) are no exceptions. Everyone is treated the same and we want to have a forum with interesting discussions instead of "yeah lol", "thanks", "nice", etc as replies. This is legitimate and we will use the tools at our disposal to achieve this.

A lot of problematic users are compulsive posters and I am going to make sure one way or another that they stop. Some can't make an argument (like Hooker), and they post but their messages are shallow and don't bring anything. They often don't even make sense.

I am aware some members are positive elements and contributors, but they will have to stop posting if they don't have anything to say. Once again, this is not a chatroom, this is a place for discussion that should be read by new members without having to go throw myriads of garbage posts.

Magnet wrote:

A lot of problematic users are compulsive posters and I am going to make sure one way or another that they stop. Some can't make an argument (like Hooker), and they post but their messages are shallow and don't bring anything. They often don't even make sense.

I really don't want to get impolite, but your post just made me angry. I didn't want to make an argument or to tell you something. Some of my posts are useless - true. But the one you deleted was a real question to you.
I see no reason in why you removed my post.

Of course mods have to get some order into this chaos... BUT, you also have to pay attention in that this game is about little cute creatures called "Tee's" in a comic-style-world and simple gameplay:
Do you really think all the people here are adult? An extremly big part of this community is like 9-13 years-old. They have no clue about the internet.
I think your system with warnings is perfect, but don't overreact.

I guess I will get a warning very soon, because I try to discuss about how you do your work. Maybe it's not true in your eyes, but it seems like you kinda want to act like a teacher.

Hooker's collection of the most Tee-ish skins!
http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=39896

13 (edited by Landil 2009-04-08 17:01:05)

Just keep in mind, that there are a lot of teenagers here (they are the target group) and that mods should have a pedagogical standard/responsability. I honestly fear, that a law and order mentality could destroy the relaxed and chummy atmosphere. Don't forget this is still a forum for a game AND there's no offtopic forum, where people can be boisterous and can get to know each other.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Landil wrote:

Just keep in mind, that there are a lot of teenagers here (they are the target group) and that mods should have a pedagogical standard. I honestly fear, that a law and order mentality could destroy the relaxed and chummy atmosphere. Don't forget this is still a forum for a game AND there's no offtopic forum, where people can be boisterous and can get to know each other.

I get your point and be sure that there was no plan to forget the facts. I'm not sold on any target group for
Teeworlds, as a matter of fact I think having the community behaving this way prevents more mature players from participating and their involvement shouldn't be overlooked either. I wouldn't describe the atmosphere as relaxed and chummy, but rather as irritating and immature (it wasn't always like this). I have seen good forums die because of that kind of mentality in the past and my goal is not to let it happen here. If that implies that I become some sort of tyrant fucker let it be, that's the job description matricks gave me. smile For the record I would like not to have to intervene at all -- but the current state of the forums has reached a point to which no developer ever reads it anymore, because it is simply too painful. If you think I'm senseless, I'd like to point that the community as it is (and the forums as its representation) is a reason of why there is no progress on Teeworlds' development.

It makes me think of a quote from Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi... "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am" big_smile.

I would like for a wider range of people to come to the forums and feel like it's a sane place rather than an inferno of lol-posts and gibberish. In my mind, people are supposed to get to know each other in-game. Teeworlds is a game, not a forum. I am afraid when I see some people spend more time on the forum rather than in the game. As for an offtopic forum, there is none on purpose.

I strongly agree with Landil. Don't forget the average age here is around 15, so don't spread your dictatorship to too high level.

~{MS}~ Tho
~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan
VISIT US : http://www.monkeystyle.tk || Check out our IRC channel : #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki : http://teewiki.info

Well, people can be mature even though they are 15.  Just face it - bullshit is bullshit and will get cleaned up. We've clearly been to kind on this point, and right now the forum is a mess, which we hope that magnet will help us to clean up.

congratulations magnet!
its nice to see u as dev.

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.

nice to see that there will be more moderators smile
i have the feeling the forum already became a litle bit saver for offtopics!
@your warinig systhem: oh ehm if this had always been i already got banned i think, if i was new my english was the worst at this forum and i spammed and flamed a lot...
it was a long time ago but anyhow: can you excuse for that?

Please use an english signature //heinrich5991

Magnet wrote:
Landil wrote:

Just keep in mind, that there are a lot of teenagers here (they are the target group) and that mods should have a pedagogical standard. I honestly fear, that a law and order mentality could destroy the relaxed and chummy atmosphere. Don't forget this is still a forum for a game AND there's no offtopic forum, where people can be boisterous and can get to know each other.

I get your point and be sure that there was no plan to forget the facts. I'm not sold on any target group for
Teeworlds, as a matter of fact I think having the community behaving this way prevents more mature players from participating and their involvement shouldn't be overlooked either. I wouldn't describe the atmosphere as relaxed and chummy, but rather as irritating and immature (it wasn't always like this). I have seen good forums die because of that kind of mentality in the past and my goal is not to let it happen here. If that implies that I become some sort of tyrant fucker let it be, that's the job description matricks gave me. smile For the record I would like not to have to intervene at all -- but the current state of the forums has reached a point to which no developer ever reads it anymore, because it is simply too painful. If you think I'm senseless, I'd like to point that the community as it is (and the forums as its representation) is a reason of why there is no progress on Teeworlds' development.

It makes me think of a quote from Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi... "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am" big_smile.

I would like for a wider range of people to come to the forums and feel like it's a sane place rather than an inferno of lol-posts and gibberish. In my mind, people are supposed to get to know each other in-game. Teeworlds is a game, not a forum. I am afraid when I see some people spend more time on the forum rather than in the game. As for an offtopic forum, there is none on purpose.

I think i got what you mean. And I agree that this forum needs a boost of productivity, as I don't read all the posts anymore, either.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Some updates & precisions:

- instead of replying "Nice", "Thank you", etc (very frequent in Graphics, Maps or Mods topics), if you don't have anything substantial to add to the topic, please use the signal system instead and "vote up" the post you liked. That counts as a Thank you, good idea, etc. This is not only for the original poster but for people who reply. I know people like to receive comments on their art/etc, but comment means something more than just thanks. For thanks, an upvote using the signal system, or a discussion on IRC or in-game will be much better. If every forum member were to say thanks to every contribution we would have a serious problem smile.

- moderators also use the signal system to upvote or downvote posts. When we do, it's +5 or -5. If you see your post really low rated, then please understand that you did something wrong and it doesn't add up to the discussion. It's something we do if deleting is too strong; or we use it to make the thread more readable. So please use the signal system as a way to know if you are doing it wrong or not smile. Try not to abuse it to express dissent.

It's all about making the forums more readable and enjoyable for everyone. There is an IRC channel, #teeworlds on Quakenet, where you can discuss things in a more lively manner if you wish.

You (all mods) should keep an eye at the maps/graphics section. I always feel that a little spammed and crowded.
Some members post twice or with a very similar content, and that's bad. hmm

smile

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

exactly.
magnet,go to my gfx topic and ull get scared.

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.

im sorry if this isnt that related but upvotes barely do anything.
thats because nobody looks that much at the upvotes [the number is too small]
and downvotes are only good for hiding the post which i find annoying [because not all posts are useless (opinions)]

To make an upvote work you'd probably have to show it in outside of the topic so beside the topic it has a number of upvotes vs downvotes to see how good the topic is.

and when you upvote, it refreshes the topic

in my opinion. the vote system is almost useless

khubajsn wrote:

Guys!
Just my opinion.
Khubajsn

Thats also my opinion. Look, Teeworlds has many not-english players and most of them can't speak english as well as you. And be happy that bobsmiley  congratulates you ! Yes the forum is full of bs and spamm but this solution won't help ;-)

Just my opinion

I really like the objective of getting these forums back into a working state. However, being overly aggressive about it is more likely to drive potential users/posters off than it is is to attract them, for fear of the moderators/admins themselves. Giving suggestions to people on how to improve their posts is more constructive than just deleting and warning. Just my $0.02 on this subject.

Ubuntu Member
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton