1 (edited by snowball 2008-01-28 18:15:20)

Topic: Map scrolling

How about implementing scrolling option to the incoming map editor? I don't mean scrolling of the screen in editor, since that's kinda obvious, but an option to enable (map author decides if he wants that on that particular map) horizontal scrolling. It would make tees to appear on the right edge of map when going beyond left edge and the other way round.
Of course it would look much nicer if the apparition of the tee didn't look like it teleported there, but going smoothly there, it would give players an impression it's a kind of 3D world and the battle is happening on the side of a cylinder.
Can you imagine what possiblities does it provide? For example, a race map, racing on which would feel like a spiral stairway to heaven!
Vertical scrolling could be possible as well, but it would be kinda weird, wouldn't it? For example, it would allow infinite falling... Doesn't sound as cool as horizontal in my opinion.
What do you think, map makers and others? I'm waiting for your feedback.

Edit: I just heard on IRC that this one has already been suggested, please show me the link if that's true and I will delete this topic.

Take a look at my posts with ideas:
Hammer+charge * Headshots smile * Yet Another Energy Gun * Map scrolling

Re: Map scrolling

I don´t see why not.

map size would have to be bigger than screen size otherwise you would see multiplie copies of yourself =o

and how many maps which are smaller than your screen do you have ? however, if it were a small map, probably map author wouldn't enable scrolling.

Take a look at my posts with ideas:
Hammer+charge * Headshots smile * Yet Another Energy Gun * Map scrolling

Seeing copies of oneself could be fun though smile. Like a map with just one small platform and scrolling in all directions smile.

I'd call it "wrapping" to avoid any confusion.

This has been discussed, and it does offer some possibilities, but also huge technical obstacles. It's on the shelf for now.

Portal anyone?

Used to be very active waay back

Teleporting in teewars maybe would be fun? A portal gun would be too ripoff-ic but maybe fun too...

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

Map wrapping: +1
Teleporters: +1

And don't forget about telefrags! wink

Map wrapping and Wormholes/Vortees (teleporters) would definitely add in some interesting options for mappers smile

ps. Vortees = Vortexes if you hadn't guessed.