1 (edited by Oy 2015-03-09 14:52:39)

Topic: [MOD] Domination

Domination is a new twist of CTF for Teeworlds. Some of you have for sure played it in Unreal Tournament or Call of Duty or some other big commercial game, here it is for Teeworlds. smile It has been under development for months, you might have even played it back in 0.4.  Now it really is finished. There are four different gamemodes to it in fact. Regular Domination, Double Domination, Conquest and Kill Domination. Every part of it has been planned carefully so it's fun and balanced. The mod really has been a joint effort of us xyz people. Everyone has contributed by at least testing things. Main credits go to Oy for coding it of course.

See the specifications below.

*** domination, double domination, conquest gametypes ***

- domination:
    * capture the domination spots for your team by remaining in the capture area around the flags
    * a domination spot has 3 states:
        - neutral: no teams gain points
        - red: red team gains points for this spot
        - blue: blue team gains points for this spot
    * if multiple player of one team capture together, the capturing runs faster
    * neutral spots can only be captured by a team, if the opponent team has no player in the capture area
    * red and blue spots can always be captured
    * teamscore: every spot increases the teamscore over time
    * player score: increases by killing an opponent tee (+1), capturing a spot (neutral, own team) and killing an opponent capturing player
    * handicap: if a team is outnumbered, their players can capture faster
    * spawning: players spawn near their own flags, otherwise on a random spawn point on the map

- double domination:
    * capturing and player scoring work as in domination
    * difference to domination:
        - team scoring isnt used (it just shows the captured spot per team)
        - if a team controls all spots, a timer starts and the team that controls the spots has to keep them while the timer is running to win the game
        - if the game ends by reaching the timelimit, the team that controls the most spots wins

- conquest:
        - every team begins with a start score (sv_scorelimit; if its 0, the start score is automatically 400)
        - if a player dies, the score of his team is decreased by 1
        - all controlled spots decrease the score of the opponent team over time
        - a team loses if it has no score left
        - spawning:
            * players spawn near their own or neutral spots                               
            * players of a team cant respawn if the opponent team controls all spots
            * if all players of a team are dead (no respawn) and the opponent team controls all spots, the team looses

- kill domination (idea by Zeratul):
        - team gets score for killing other tees
                    team has 0 dom-spots: 0 points
            team has 1 dom-spots: 1 points
            team has 2 dom-spots: 2 points
            team has 3 dom-spots: 3 points
            team has 4 dom-spots: 4 points
            team has 5 dom-spots: 5 points
           - team gets score for capturing a dom-spot
            team has 0 dom-spots:  0 points
            team has 1 dom-spots:  5 points
            team has 2 dom-spots: 10 points
            team has 3 dom-spots: 15 points
            team has 4 dom-spots: 20 points

- *** user commands (say)***

/domspots               gives an overview of the ownership status for all domination spots

Oh and did I mention you can host any of these modes with or without instagib? cool You can even host iCTF, iDM and iTDM servers but don't host regular DM etc servers with this mod applied because of the (harsh) approach the devs have taken against modded servers.

* Updated * Download: idom-3.0.zip
This zip includes the patch, executables for 32 bit Windows and Linux and a readme. These are currently for Teeworlds 0.5.2.

There are quite a few config options for you server admins to fool around with (check the readme in the zip) but the defaults are sane so just change sv_gametype to dom/ddom/conq/kdom to get a Domination/Double Domination/Conquest/Kill Domination server going once you have the executable of course. smile

Making Domination maps

Domination maps are pretty much like CTF maps. Only in Domination, you can place 1-5 flags on the map instead of just two.
Here's a step by step guide to making your own maps:

1. Download this entities.png (includes the race entities by Rajh for your map making convenience) and replace the one in <your teeworlds folder>/data/editor/

2. Download dommain.png and put it in <your teeworlds folder>/data/mapres/ (this step is optional but heavily recommended, you'll need to make your own tileset otherwise)

3. Design your map. Keep in mind that the map should be balanced. Think ahead where you'll place the capturing areas.

4. See this image on how to create a proper Domination spot: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2530/dommaptilesxx2.th.jpg

5. Embed dommain.png in your map and create a layer using it. This layer MUST be behind the game layer like in the picture or your map will be pretty much unplayable. Place the white flag where you wish the center of the spot to be.

6. Add the correct entities to the game layer. Put the entity with the flags on the background to the root of the white flag that's already there. Now use the entity with the same letter but no flags on the background to fill the surrounding empty tiles. This full area now works for capturing and the flags will appear correctly when the map is played on a Domination server. Repeat these steps for every Domination spot you want to add. For practical reasons, start with the A entities, then B and so on.

7. Use the yellow arrow tiles in dommain.png to highlight the spots in the same layer where the white flag tiles are. Now make sure this layer with the white flags and yellow signs is NOT set to be a detail so people playing with low detail can see them too.

8. Only use the DM spawn points (the brown tees). In Domination, tees spawn near the spots their team currently holds. Wherever they are around the map. Using the TDM/CTF spawn points will make this feature void.

Update: Please take these steps seriously. Using the red/blue spawn points will make gameplay on your map repetitive. Capturing a spot is supposed to give your team a base to spawn near in. But it doesn't if you don't use the DM spawn points.

Also, take a look at the above image to see an appropriate size for your capturing areas (9 by 7). Players won't be able to jump while capturing a spot if your capturing area is less than 7 tiles high. Putting health/armor/weapons inside the capturing areas is not a good idea either. Collecting those items while capturing will make the game think you left the capturing area and the timer will reset.

Furthermore, you shouldn't put any spawn points right next to capturing areas. It won't be fun to kill an enemy to get access to their flag only to see him spawn back at the same place and attack you again with full health.

Maps

We have already made maps specifically designed for Domination. When in doubt about your own maps, see these for examples.
Download them all.

dom_matrix by aQua
http://85.17.201.130/misc/dom/screenshots/tn1.jpg

dom_the3towers by Oy
http://85.17.201.130/misc/dom/screenshots/tn2.jpg

dom_bridge by ziltoide
http://85.17.201.130/misc/dom/screenshots/tn3.jpg

dom_hq by ziltoide
http://85.17.201.130/misc/dom/screenshots/tn4.jpg

dom_comb by Oy
http://85.17.201.130/misc/dom/screenshots/tn5.jpg

dom_gallery by Oy
http://85.17.201.130/misc/dom/screenshots/tn6.jpg

dom_warehouse by Oy
http://85.17.201.130/misc/dom/screenshots/tn7.jpg

dom_uterus by Dr. Nick Riviera
http://85.17.201.130/misc/dom/screenshots/tn8.jpg

New maps by other people:

Re: [MOD] Domination

very nice! i love it

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

awesome mod!
i'll try to make a map for it too ^^

Please use an english signature //heinrich5991

Really great. Domination is really fun, and it will add some really nice gameplay. big_smile

The proposition "I am the center" need never be uttered. It is the assumption upon which all certainty and all doubt turns.

can i even ply a normal gametype
because i dont like instagib

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Domination Mod "Developer"
« Uptee Designer

like the version in 4.3! it is great

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Uptee Designer

7 (edited by Oy 2009-01-30 17:54:08)

Fisico wrote:

can i even ply a normal gametype
because i dont like instagib

It's vanilla-gameplay (normal) by default.
Instagib has to be enabled explicitly (sv_mod_instagib 1).

Remember the 80s - good times smile

can i have all the commands?
i mean a cfg

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Uptee Designer

Fisico wrote:

can i have all the commands?
i mean a cfg

All the additional commands are listened/described in the Readme_idom.txt in the idom-1.0.zip-file.
To run a server u just have to change the sv_gametype value to dom, ddom or conq and use a dom-map.
Here is an example:

sv_name blub
sv_gametype dom
sv_warmup 0
sv_map dom_hq
sv_max_clients 4
sv_scorelimit 400
sv_timlimit 10
sv_register 0
password ur_pwd
sv_rcon_password ur_rconpwd

Remember the 80s - good times smile

i have a problem when i play 1on1 in dom it is ok but when are 2 peopls ply i the same team the flgs captured in 1 secon why?
pls help

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Uptee Designer

great mod

are u collecting all maps here ?? maybe i will do kinda
UT portation

btw i think u should add at least 1 map to the mod-binary zip file for testing it.

and thx for releasing this mod.

Fisico wrote:

i have a problem when i play 1on1 in dom it is ok but when are 2 peopls ply i the same team the flgs captured in 1 secon why?
pls help

I believe you're talking about the handicap. If one team has less players than the other, all of their players will still capture as fast as all the players on the other team. If the game is 2v1, the lone player will capture twice as fast as the tees in the other team alone. And the two players together will capture as fast as the lone player. This works the same way for any number of players. We've noticed that a disbalance in teams can make Domination very lopsided so the handicap was added to counter that. With the default settings, the lone tee should capture a flag in 3 seconds so it isn't just 1 second. If this is not what you were talking about, please explain with more detail. smile

Marik16 wrote:

are u collecting all maps here ??

You can post your maps here or the map board. I might add links to new maps in the first post so they'll be easy to find for server admins.

Marik16 wrote:

and thx for releasing this mod.

Our pleasure. smile

Really nice mod, it wont be my favourite ( yes i played it ), but I can see it is professional work, so thumbs up.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

good work thx

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Uptee Designer

15 (edited by Fisico 2009-01-31 12:14:17)

i have made two dom maps
and what is the normal cupture time?
dom_ctf1
http://www.file-upload.net/download-142 … 1.map.html
dom_ctf2
http://www.file-upload.net/download-142 … 2.map.html
i hope the maps are good
pls write your comments

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Uptee Designer

Please give us some screenshots and use the edit function!

ok ok
how i can edit a screenshot in this post?

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Uptee Designer

Mod added to the Teewiki. Please use the specific talk page if there's need for any suggestions.

Azon wrote:

Mod added to the Teewiki. Please use the specific talk page if there's need for any suggestions.

http://teewiki.info/wiki/Talk:Domination#Flag_graphics

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Not possible at all at this point. Maybe in 0.6.X, depends on how modable the game will be with lua.

bam: WARNING:'src/game/server/gamemodes/mod.cpp' comes from the future

Is there a command for teleporting (like sv_teleport)?

Oh I have forgot to post how much I like that mod smile

Landil wrote:
Azon wrote:

I hope you understand I was talking about suggestions for the Teewiki. Not I or the the Teewiki can help you with your ingame problems.

Azon wrote:
Landil wrote:
Azon wrote:

I hope you understand I was talking about suggestions for the Teewiki. Not I or the the Teewiki can help you with your ingame problems.

Hehe, thx. I thought you mean suggestions for the domination mod. Besides it's not a problem I have, it's a suggestion.

I love this mod <3

But there are too less servers and too less people to test it.