Topic: auto map download

Was that discussed before? I didn't find through the search.

I tried to play on some servers today and the game told me it did not have the map, isn't it an interesting feature?

Re: auto map download

It's on it's way.

For now you'll have to get them yourself.

To make things a little more simple there is a mirror for all maps here.

Used to be very active waay back

3 (edited by airen 2008-01-18 21:46:22)

This is already planned for the future.

You can read all the tickets here:
http://ix.teewars.com/trac/report/1

(edit): grr FireArrow ;D

aka kiwi

Thanks, sorry for not looking at Trac first.

I just downloaded the source code and I'm studying it, as I could understand, the function server_process_client_packet on es_server.c is the where every client packet arrives and is processed. After the NETMSG_INFO, the map name is sent using server_send_map.

Unfortunately, I could not find the receive function on client side, can anyone tell where is it?

I think about 2 ways to download the map, the first one is easier but it will only be a hack and should be ignored. As soon as the client notices it does not have the map, it tries to download it from the URL FireArrow posted. The second one is to send the entire map file (gz compressed if possible) through the game protocols. Maybe, as soon as the client notices it does not have the map, it will send a message requesting it or start a TCP connection to the server to get the map. UDP may lose too many packets on internet games so, sending the map this way may be a problem.

You are looking for client_process_packet in ec_client.cpp

The map should be sent over the existing UDP "connection" and it should handle possible packetloss etc. Compressing the map isn't nessesary as it's quite compressed already.

Is anybody working on it already? I would like to give it a try.

I will simulate TCP creating an ordered send, so the packets must be received in this order and the client will ask for then. I remember seeing something about crc on the map send to the user, so, i will use the crc or maybe even bcc to sign the blocks.

No one is working on it. There is already functions for sending reliable messages over the UDP socket. We use it for chat etc. If you want more direct feedback I suggest you join #teewars-dev on quakenet.

Is dev channel is a private chan?

aka oop²

No, everyone is welcome to join.

That said, it's not an "official" channel. We speak a lot of Swedish, and it's definitely not a place for support, unless you're directly invited to help solve a specific issue.

Just a friendly reminder smile

K, it was only to clear up this point :]

aka oop²