Topic: [PATCH] Anti-Camping

First I want to say that I did this one just for fun smile Some people say that CTF can't live without camping - I've got a different opinion on that matter. So I tried out how challenging this would be to code.

This patch prevents annoying camping by punishing players with death who always linger around the same place. Not affected are players who are
* chatting or in game-menu
* idling
* carrying a flag

Config-Vars:

sv_camp_maxtime 8       # Maximum allowed time to linger at the same place
sv_camp_threshold 200   # Threshold for distance

Download: teeworlds-0.4.2-anti-camping-0.1.0.patch
Here is the viewable version

I only did short testing, so don't expect the patch to be bugfree or fully functional. Please tell me what you think about this idea/patch. But: no flamewars please wink

"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." - Terry Pratchett -

2 (edited by catpaw 2008-08-06 09:05:20)

Re: [PATCH] Anti-Camping

Nooo, I like camping!

I hate it when server code tells me how I am supposed to play and have fun...

People only hate campers, because well if done well camping can be very effective!

This was the response I was expecting from you as I read this post from you before smile

It was just a test (little proof-of-concept) for me (not a suggestion for a new feature which should be merged). I wrote this patch mainly because I got annoyed of people who hook in the lower-middle in ctf1-map and shoot every second (instagib). Some people love camping - and others hate this behaviour smile

"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." - Terry Pratchett -

Well hooking in the middle of ctf1 is not only stupid its pretty uneffective also.

However look at ctf2 non instagib. An integral part of a good team is one or two people staying at the base defending it. There is nothing more depressing as when you finally manage to wrench that flag from the enemy flag carrier, just to hear a plung, someone else just picked it up again in your base, because nobody was trying to defend it at all.

So when you stay in your base defending, and nobody is attacking you, with your patch you just have to hop arond, just to not get kicked by this "fix".

Also people get annoyed by camping, well because it works against them. If it wouldn't work there is nothing to be annoyed of. Well they argue then that the camper is supposed to not have fun doing this... but this kind of upside down, a player may define himself what is fun or not. And when people go bla, you always kill me when I only even get near you base, its even a satisfaction.

catpaw wrote:

Well hooking in the middle of ctf1 is not only stupid its pretty uneffective also.

When I'm following the kill-messages I see that these campers hit _many_ players by just sitting in an edge and shooting in an angle to the wall.

catpaw wrote:

However look at ctf2 non instagib...

Yes, I agree. For non-instagib this patch makes no sense. With normal weapons you have to move around a bit and thus you wouldn't be affected.

catpaw wrote:

...just to not get kicked by this "fix".

It's really not supposed to be a fix wink

There is also a situation with my fb_teamplay map using FlagBall-MOD. In a 4vs4, when two people are instantly camping at the small gate to the goal (hooking at the top), it's nearly impossible to score (maybe possible for REAL good players). That's why there's a anti-goal-camping since the first version. This behaviour (in _this_ case) may make fun for the camper, but all other players are left out to dry.

datag wrote:
catpaw wrote:

When I'm following the kill-messages I see that these campers hit _many_ players by just sitting in an edge and shooting in an angle to the wall.

Well the problem underlying this is instagib is broken...

What about if the mod disabled the player's weapons until they moved, or something.

teeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

NFD Tee wrote:

What about if the mod disabled the player's weapons until they moved, or something.

The punishment is up to you, there are infinite ways to do this smile For my test I just let the tee die (+funny chat-message). If someone really wants to merge this patch for his server, than the patch needs rework anyway.

Your server seems to be offline... Would be nice if you could start it again and/or upload your patch somewhere else.

http://blog.jbbr.net/ - My (german) Blog

foxx wrote:

Your server seems to be offline... Would be nice if you could start it again and/or upload your patch somewhere else.

My PPP-connection was down for some hours... just retry, it's up again.