Topic: Environmental hazards

Maybe it would be fun if the levels had some sort of terrain or obstacles that could cause damage to your tee, for instance spikes, lava or toxic green goo. This would probably make it a lot easier to create interesting maps, where powerups and weapons are located in places that are a little trickier to reach. Imagine being forced to swing above a lava pool to be able to reach the rocket launcher..

Another thing that probably wouldn't take to much work is slippery surfaces? Maybe it won't matter as much, since you'll always be able to use your ninja rope, but a section of a map with slippery surfaces might be combined with walls and ceilings where the grapple won't stick. Then you would be forced to rely on basic movements.

Re: Environmental hazards

And also, places where you cant use your hook. Like hard metal or something similar.

apax wrote:

slippery surfaces might be combined with walls and ceilings where the grapple won't stick. Then you would be forced to rely on basic movements.

I agree with you, as well with my self wink

4 (edited by ethex 2007-08-25 07:58:22)

Oh shit, sorry. Disregard my post.

I think apax idea is great!

I agree. Would add a nice Lemmings feel too it all smile.

Personally, I think it would be awesome if the game detected transparent pixels in the tiles and ignored them, so that you can make slopes and stuff too, but this might be too advanced.

Ironlink wrote:

Personally, I think it would be awesome if the game detected transparent pixels in the tiles and ignored them, so that you can make slopes and stuff too, but this might be too advanced.

I've done a version of teewars that did this. To this version i skipped it for several reasons. This way is simpler, faster to implement. I wanted the game to actually make it out this time. There is in the plans to do slopes as well but at a set number of angles to keep the game play predictable.

matricks wrote:

I've done a version of teewars that did this. To this version i skipped it for several reasons. This way is simpler, faster to implement. I wanted the game to actually make it out this time. There is in the plans to do slopes as well but at a set number of angles to keep the game play predictable.

Pixel detection would be easier in regards of map creation, and also add things like rounded corners, and surfaces that only cover a partial tile. (pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top? If I send you flowers? Or bacon?)

While I'm at it, rotatable tiles would save space in tilesets ^^

Ironlink wrote:

Pixel detection would be easier in regards of map creation, and also add things like rounded corners, and surfaces that only cover a partial tile. (pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top? If I send you flowers? Or bacon?)

While I'm at it, rotatable tiles would save space in tilesets ^^

I don't care if it's ease up map creation, the actual game play it much much more important. I'm looking for a quantized game play. Support for flipped tiles are coming so it will be easier to make mirrored maps for CTF.

This pixel detection discussion is interesing and all, but it feels a little offtopic.

Hazards would be excellent. How about ceiling or pieces of the map fall off if you hang to long on a certain spot?