Topic: ESL Teewars Deathmatch New Year NightCup

Hello,

I just wanted to let all of you know that the first official ESL Teewars 1on1 Cup took place a couple of days ago (link).

It was a great experience and besides some smaller bugs that I know are being fixed for 0.3.3, it went brilliant. Some really nice and interesting matches were played (even in earlier stages of the tournament due to random seeding), some of the more tight matches between good players I have linked below:

LoCShot ;P vs. stena
airen vs. ICE-TEA
Sorry to name myself now but I have to admit these were some great matches:
MepH vs. arevs
And of course the Final, even tho I can't say it was any close:
airen vs. MepH

From my personal experience, not only from this cup, airen is currently the best Teewars player around so I just wanted to add: Congratulations on being the reigning Teewars Champion, airen!

Regards,
MepH

Re: ESL Teewars Deathmatch New Year NightCup

I asked in a comment on the Nightcup news if there were gonna be any servers available for us who dan´t have access too any. Didn´t get a reply, so I didn´t join.

I´m quite dissappointed of the way esl indirectly requires you too have access too a server. It makes the competiotions kind of closed except too a small set of people, which really doesn´t fit the otherways very open spirit of Teewars.

No disrespect too the players, I know your´e good and all, but I really don´t think esl deserves the status of determining the real Teewars champions currently.

well, not like esl has zillions to host servers for millions of esl users smile
also the only real fair way to determine the teewars champion is to invite all competetive teewars players to a lan for a teewars tournament - and i doubt that's gonna happen smile so we have to be satisfied with the options we got so i guess so far online teewars cups are the only way to determine the teewars champion - and apart from that I have no doubt airen deservs the title, no matter how he earned it smile

Wouldn´t take many, people could take turns on the same server.

I have no doubt airen is, at least one of the best players around.

Huge gratz to you, airen!

And to Dreamy: If you contact me in advance I might be able to come up with a server or two.
I host all LAN-corps servers, and I think and hope they work good for everyone.

Used to be very active waay back

It's kind of sad that we didn't manage to get any recordings of the games, seriously need to replace the rather mediocre youtube representation hmm.

Dreamy: ping tends to fix itself most of the games, since you always play two games you can also balance it that way (one game on my server, one on yours). We played some games on self-hosted servers.

The one game that comes to mind for me was against ICE-TEA who played me uphill both games (my 20ping vs his 55), so extra respect to him.

To be honest I'm not that interested in the "reigning Teewars Champion", cause you never know what lurks in the shadows and it doesn't really say anything about the future (there's lots of scary players right now). You can talk about who won what however, even if it wasn't "fair" tongue. And that's a bit more interesting in my opinion, analyzing players and new strategies and so on ^^.
But thank you anyway, I guess it would be disrespectful not to acknowledge the comments.

I want to thank TheRouge for managing all of this, and all the players that participated ^^. Thank you!

aka kiwi

FireArrow wrote:

I have no doubt airen is, at least one of the best players around.

Huge gratz to you, airen!

And to Dreamy: If you contact me in advance I might be able to come up with a server or two.
I host all LAN-corps servers, and I think and hope they work good for everyone.

Thanks for the offer. But as much as I am bitter over not being able too participate, that is not all. I want too be able too persuade every teewarsplayer I know into joining, and how can I do that if it´s so bothersome?

Plus, I´d like too play such games on a regular basis, too learn. Asking for access on a regular basis isn´t a very good solution hmm. The problem for me personally might be solved soon though, since I joined a clan that has a server. Just not sure how good it is yet.

Bottom line is I won´t be happy with teewarscompetition till there is a relatively simple way for anyone too join, or until the organizers actually try too make it so. Or until Teecup does it and outshines esl smile.

But yea, congrats too airen is still in order. Well played, I deduce.

the end of the day you demand hosted servers by either the developers or the leagues hosting the cups - which is just plain unrealistic - its the same in every game - have a proper server or play on your opponent's - no need to be bitter at the ESL or something - they can't just waste money on servers so every player is happy smile

9 (edited by Dreamy 2008-01-10 05:16:42)

Asking for volenteers would have been enough, I´m pretty sure. The tricky part would be organizing it.

I mean, the current variation requires every participant too have access too a server anyway, while in fact it would be possible for a lot of people too use the same. The total cost would rather be decreased by having some official servers I think.

Besides, check this out:
http://www.teewars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=238

Dreamy wrote:

I asked in a comment on the Nightcup news if there were gonna be any servers available for us who dan´t have access too any. Didn´t get a reply, so I didn´t join.

I´m quite dissappointed of the way esl indirectly requires you too have access too a server. It makes the competiotions kind of closed except too a small set of people, which really doesn´t fit the otherways very open spirit of Teewars.

No disrespect too the players, I know your´e good and all, but I really don´t think esl deserves the status of determining the real Teewars champions currently.

I'm sorry I didn't reply to your question in the news post. Between being available to support all 30 nightcups we hosted that night and running the 3 I had (teewars, pangya, warsow) I didn't think to check the news comments.

The ESL is a league site that supports hundreds of thousands of players, in the European section alone we have ~60 games. None of our competitions receive server support directly from us, not even our $285,000 Masters for CS (and WC3). It's the standard for the community to have their own servers.

I'd love to be able to support Teewars more by offering servers and more cups but running the ESL is my full time job, I try to give every game a fair amount of time but really my job isn't to manage individual games, I need people from the community to step up and run the section and hopefully they can organise some servers

Nice, this is starting too sound good.