Topic: Things move forward

I've optimized the size of the demo recordings to a level that I'm happy with now. My little 30 second test on dm1 with one player is about 8.3k big. I could get this even smaller but I stopped because it would obfuscate the code even more and not bring that much.

It was more tricky then I thought because when I did, loads of smaller bugs popped up here and there in the code. Mainly concerning timers that could cause projectiles to be render at the wrong position. I've also found out why the map download can stop mid-stream and I've made it a bit faster as well.

Also, I've talked to some players of the Teeworlds community about the game balance and watched the ESL reopening cup finals. There is a few common things that all bring up that should be tweaked so I will tweak them for the 0.5.0 release. Here is a quick summary of the tweaks I will make.

Hook. This will receive the biggest tweaks. The time you can be hooked to a player is 2 seconds. This will be lowered to the range of 1-1.5 seconds, probably 1 second. The force that you inflict on your opponent will perhaps be lowered a little bit as well.

Hammer. It will get a reload time because it's way to powerful and exploitable as it is now. The exact reload time is not yet experimented with.

Shotgun. Will get a small increase in bullet speed (but not range) to make it better to chase with.

Grenades. Very very small increase in blast radius. Think less then 5% increase.

As for a release date for 0.5.0. I was hoping for this weekend but I'm very skeptical. There are loads of minor bugs that needs to be fixed and some of them is kinda tricky. We also needs to do some play-testing and gather some network statistics to do the final tweaks on the network layer.

Cheerio

Re: Things move forward

nice smile i can wait to it release smile:):)

I think the second change in the hook is unnecessary. ("The force that you inflict on your opponent will perhaps be lowered a little bit as well.")

About the others changes you said...
I liked it (:

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

4 (edited by PaddyKay 2008-10-14 16:57:21)

this weekend? w00t! big_smile even if it will need time till next weekend. smile

pwnd-leader
You just got pwnd!

i think the hammer reload is unnecessary
but the other changes i liked it

Thx big_smile

I am <x|HT|x> oio BR leader of <x|HT|x>smile
Heaven Tees the best BR clan big_smile. Ally of cKz`
                            GG for all

matricks i love you smile
sound very good what u did wink
the hammer thing isnt that important, as others already said before;) but this doesnt matter at all^^

love ur work;)

cos(a)y-f'(x)=-1x/x

rafaolisan wrote:

i think the hammer reload is unnecessary
but the other changes i liked it

Thx big_smile

The hammer has a DPS of 100 now with a single target if used perfectly, that is waaaay to much.

Take as much time as u need to finish that.

When it's done o0

* Visit my Homepage: ClicK!
* Especially the Teeworlds Section!

Oh sir, happy news indeed! I am really looking forward to seeing it - the changes are those I would have proposed if someone had asked me. tongue

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

I think this update is the biggest one. (Since 0.3.0)

Many things are 'joining' 0.5.0 big_smile

--

oFF: Could someone explain to me, in english (ofc), what means the word 'buggers' at the old logo ('Cute little buggers with guns')?

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Hook. i dont like your idea that you can hook other players for only 1-1.5 secounds, 2 secounds are a good time. I would like it larger not smaller becuase: its your fault if you arent fast enaught and other tees hook you. if they got you they should be abel to grap you long enough to make a big damage with the shotgun and the hammer!

i agree with the other changes, nice wink

Please use an english signature //heinrich5991

0³7 wrote:

Hook. i dont like your idea that you can hook other players for only 1-1.5 secounds, 2 secounds are a good time. I would like it larger not smaller becuase: its your fault if you arent fast enaught and other tees hook you. if they got you they should be abel to grap you long enough to make a big damage with the shotgun and the hammer!

It's imbalanced, period. Furthermore it is a one-side profit for experienced players. New players are too occupied managing the hook-aiming-moving-coordination. Since the vision of teeworlds is an easy understandable (correct me if I'm wrong) cute 2D-Shooter, I agree stock, lock and barrel with the change!

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

0³7 wrote:

i agree with the other changes, nice wink

and maybe its ur fault that u haven´t got enough aim to hit ppl far away.

i can agree with all changes except grenades they fly far enough if tweak it that more it will become more and more the rocket launcher in teeworlds. Okay other point i have never seen Grenades in a game which explode when they hit the floor too...

cool. this changes will bring some fresh extra action to the boring ctf2 everyday life. Good deal about the hammer thing, a tee shouldnt really be that strong to be able to hammer 24/7 nonstop.

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

ptBR

buggers= "importunadores". q t importunam (echem o saco)

english

buggers= people that do like bulling but funny

GG for all

16 (edited by Zuranox 2008-10-14 19:15:40)

I can't wait but take your time to do great things (yes they already are wink )

For gameplay change, some says that hook is a big piece of gameplay and other think its cheating, so difficult to say if it's good, but with a lower hammer and lower hook, hook will be "useless" (hook is powerfull with hammer).

For sure i think you test this new gameplay to do the best, so test and do this 0.5.0 as you think its better smile

thumbs up

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

18 (edited by pAn!K - Hiryuu 2008-10-15 22:47:00)

These changes could be good (except for the HOOK !!) but it could be very nice to decrease (a little ... like 3 sec) the pop of weapon because the "Map Control" is a way too powerful and some players just do it all the time on dm1. It's a nice and difficult tactic but it shouldn't be as much powerful.

I love the time you put in balancing, matricks. That's one of the things that parts a good developer from a bad; the good one makes sure the game actually works smooth in all aspects of the game, when the bad only cares if the code itself works. Really nice work.

The proposition "I am the center" need never be uttered. It is the assumption upon which all certainty and all doubt turns.

20 (edited by Reaper 2008-10-14 21:04:17)

Hook. This will receive the biggest tweaks. The time you can be hooked to a player is 2 seconds. This will be lowered to the range of 1-1.5 seconds, probably 1 second. The force that you inflict on your opponent will perhaps be lowered a little bit as well.
--------------------------------
hookers deserve to die

Hammer. It will get a reload time because it's way to powerful and exploitable as it is now. The exact reload time is not yet experimented with.
Hammer is for n00bs and you only use it if someone hooks you and you got no shotgun... but there won't be that much hookers anymore, yay - hammer is useless smile (jk)

Shotgun. Will get a small increase in bullet speed (but not range) to make it better to chase with.
Nice, faster gameplay wink

Grenades. Very very small increase in blast radius. Think less then 5% increase.
Why not ? ^^

Matricks i got  a question...
Will you change anything at the movement? (except hook)

ima charhgin ma lazerz!!1
SHOOP DA WHOOOOP!!!!!!11

Reaper wrote:

Matricks i got  a question...
Will you change anything at the movement? (except hook)

Nope, quite happy with how it is now.

Pistol and hammer are getting more and more unvalorized and unpopular. On CTF, pistol and hammer pratically dont exist. The update will only contribute to it. That are unnecessary changes and gonna finish with hammermans and dummy dragging. I really don't like it . sad

Lakitu_ wrote:

Pistol and hammer are getting more and more unvalorized and unpopular. On CTF, pistol and hammer pratically dont exist. The update will only contribute to it. That are unnecessary changes and gonna finish with hammermans and dummy dragging. I really don't like it . sad

TOOOTALLY AGREE

GG for all

Lakitu_ wrote:

On CTF, pistol and hammer pratically dont exist.

Ure doin it wrong

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

Maybe it would be good to give pistol a power boost, it's not very useful at the moment, just a suggestion.
I'm a big fan of using the hook on other tees and I think that the power of it should remain!

You're doing a great job improving the game and I hope you continue!

===I take pride in my insanity!===    |    Blender3D    |    What do you think of my post? Rate it!
Admin@SuperSiliconux128:~$quantumphysics --help -mtheory -standardmodel
[quantum_physics]: segmentation fault, core dumped