Re: 0.5.0 progress

Boxed version is not very likely. The price would have to be ridiculously high for us to make any profit worth the time and effort that could have gone into actual development.

That said, if there's a good, cheap and hassle-free way of getting a game box printed, packed and shipped directly to the end customer, we would of course have a look at it. I wouldn't exactly call it a milestone, though, so until you hear otherwise, it's not gonna happen.

For the foreseeable future, we'll focus on development and development only.

I'm not a fan of this hijacking of journal entries to make completly unrelated suggestions, like server start easiness or "boxed versions". Make a new thread in "development general" instead please.

Otherwise now since that derail is happened already... You know instead of "boxed version" there are things like "CafePress". Opening a Shop with your graphics is very easy. Just send them your graphic files. The real stuff is produced on demand, you get a part of the sales... http://www.cafepress.com/ There are no fix costs to pay in advance. So if you want, you can easily do something like this, and people can order their teeworlds t-shirts, mugs or thongs, yes even thongs :-)

Yes, I know, it was a slight derail, which is why I apologised for it in my last post. We already have mods, so please stop backseat-modding, yeah? It was merely an aside to my post saying how I'm looking forward to 0.5.0. :-)

Anyway, thanks teetow for answering. smile It's a pity that it's highly unlikely but hopefully you can come across a doable, affordable option.

Back to development, I agree that the BG/FG separation is well worth adding, as said, because it could be optional. Some maps have what I would normally expect to be a platform as a background and it's extremely confusing and takes a while to get used to. I know that this is down to the map designers in question not using the correct tiles, but still irritating at times.

Eagerly awaiting 0.5.0!

teeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

OMG ;D you've done a incredible good job man smile =P looks absolutely awesome well done just go on and hf:D

Hummmm... it seems to me that some of us like the new pics, and some of us don't,so I think as a sugestion that in the settings in the new 0.5.0 there could be be a boxes that you can cross off, for the difernt tipes of looks. you want to see. smile

But if's that's to hard, it's okay. ^___^

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

It's not hard, it's just an awful idea; Teeworlds isn't bloody Winamp. If we had in-game options for everything we've heard people argue about, the config-file wouldn't even fit on a Bluray disc.

That notwithstanding, the concept of implementing graphics tweaks for the sake of satisfying both sides of a debate isn't the philosophy of Teeworlds. We have graphic designers on the team, and they design the game. It's that simple.

I think all this bikeshedding has reminded us why it isn't always wise to share early ideas or prototypes, and that we can't expect people to actually read our posts when there are pictures involved. We've said repeatedly that this is something we're just messing around with, and that you shouldn't take it too seriously. I guess putting it on the forum made it seem more serious than it was, and we apologize for any confusion.

Wow, thanks for putting effort in this kind of things.
Actually i think a combination of color-correction, dof-effect(bokeh instead of gaussian blur) and bloom would work very well. Dont like the pure black outline tho ... maybe an outline with 50 percent opacity and in "multiply" mode would do the trick.
Anyway, thanks for your work!

cheers,
manitwo

33 (edited by catpaw 2008-09-10 15:24:22)

teetow wrote:

I think all this bikeshedding has reminded us why it isn't always wise to share early ideas or prototypes, and that we can't expect people to actually read our posts when there are pictures involved. We've said repeatedly that this is something we're just messing around with, and that you shouldn't take it too seriously. I guess putting it on the forum made it seem more serious than it was, and we apologize for any confusion.

Arent you a bit overreacting there? I mean this is on page 2, and the topic consisted mostly out of derailments. "all this bikeshedding"... come'on... Also are you sure you make the right conclusions?

To go back on the original topic. I like blue coloring most. Since its actually reallity. Things far away are a bit bluer than when they are close. Its the raleigh scattering in the air. But IMHO level designers should still be able to make cave background or other non-blued things, when taking care it the level design foreground is seperated from background.

Dude i'm teeworlds ADDICTED i play many hours and everyday cause there's such a nice community (the top clans fp8, QS, mos, °la'g, some peoples and so on...those clans and guys are great for talking/flaming/whatever)
every evening i'm at a fp8 1on1 server and i'm talking and playing...

i want some 0.5.0 infos! yikes
please! ^^

this game is the second best multiplayer game i've ever played and if the developening stops i kill you! >.< (just kidding xD)
I play already over 1 1/2 years TW and i play CounterStrike, too.
there are no better multiplayer games, in my opinion.

Nice job devs, i'm looking forward to 0.5.0... great work! wink

ima charhgin ma lazerz!!1
SHOOP DA WHOOOOP!!!!!!11

35 (edited by TeBob 2008-09-16 14:28:49)

Reaper wrote:

Team Fortress 2 are nice too  smile

bobsmiley wrote:
Reaper wrote:

Team Fortress 2 are nice too  smile

Yeah it is - definitly. But i haven't got the orange box and my brother is too lazy to buy it for me xD I'm not 18... and my parents are working all the day...

I would play it too cuz i played a whole weekend TF2 it roxx....

but now, sorry - back to topic.

ima charhgin ma lazerz!!1
SHOOP DA WHOOOOP!!!!!!11

Some changes might be good but it would be a shame to loose the current individual style of TW.
The other thing to keep in check is CPU use for those people with less powerful computers.

Keep up the good work!

===I take pride in my insanity!===    |    Blender3D    |    What do you think of my post? Rate it!
Admin@SuperSiliconux128:~$quantumphysics --help -mtheory -standardmodel
[quantum_physics]: segmentation fault, core dumped

Random Tee wrote:

Some changes might be good but it would be a shame to loose the current individual style of TW.
The other thing to keep in check is CPU use for those people with less powerful computers.

Keep up the good work!

AGREE! smile

I am <x|HT|x> oio BR leader of <x|HT|x>smile
Heaven Tees the best BR clan big_smile. Ally of cKz`
                            GG for all

Hello,

First of all, for all the developers, well done for all the work ascomplished so far. Teeworlds is a really funny game, and I really enjoy playing it. I'm looking forward to the 0.5 version, and I have some questions / things to say about it:

- Do you have an idea of the release date?

- If you want my opinion, blur or underlining the front layers would be nice, but it's up to you (I only play with high details off, as i'm a quake / unreal tournament tweak player)

- In my opinion, weapons are good, and we don't need another. I think that a game doesn't need a lot of weapon just "to-have-a-lot-of-weapons-for-trolling-with"

- Consequence of the last thing I said, I hope you'll keep the work in a "pro graming" point of view, as it is now. I mean, when I came to teewolrds, I spent 6 years of pro graming in Unreal tournament series, playing a lot of cups, eurocups, lans, eswc etc. And what i love in teeworlds is that there is no candy features. Only features that make the game playable, with the right tools. It only lacks of little things (maybe not that easy to do) such as voting, buddies, favourite. In game speaking, I really think you have made something balanced and fun.

- Do you plan to add a few new maps? I mean, the two most played maps in dm and ctf are kinda dm2 and ctf2, which are some of your standart maps. In order to make the players play the same maps for competitions etc, maybe you could package the most played & relevant maps and custom maps with the game. Unfortunately, there aren't so much at the moment, and tournaments need map pools - more than one or two maps. I'm not a mapper, so it is hard to criticise, but I think you know the game and physics better than anyone, so you are able to make the best maps.

Well, I hope you'll be able to answer a few of those notes / questions, and if not, that it can help you in your future decisions. Keep on the good work, and don't hesitate to poll the community for difficult decisions, it is always a good idea smile

Best regards,

~{MS}~ Eve ~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan
VISIT US: http://www.monkeystyle.tk
Check out our IRC channel: #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki: http://teewiki.info

Ahh, a really nice formulated post. Good questions and reflections, informative, raises issues with a nice tone without being rude. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

1. I hope to release 0.5.0 next week, I hope at least. All depends on what troubles emerges. Right now I'm on vacation and have a bunch of time to spend on the game.

2. These stuff we tested won't probably make it to 0.5.0 but will be under consideration for future releases. We have to play with it a lot more too see what works. These were just some first 5 minute mockups.

3. We are quite conservative when it comes to loads of decisions when it comes to adding stuff to make sure that we really just add stuff that is necessary and not add stuff because it's cool.

4. The stuff that isn't in there is mostly due to no one has gotten around to implement them. Favorites are allready done for 0.5.0. Voting, banning etc is going to be in there for 0.5.0.

5. We plan to add a few new maps yes. chilly is making sure that this will happen. There are a few new features that are pending (death and non-hookable tiles, perhaps slopes) that are kinda stopping us from starting doing loads of maps because they will perhaps miss a couple of the features. I'm unsure if these features will make it into 0.5.0 or get pushed, depends if we can get graphics for them and a couple of other issues.

Right now, I'm kinda in the push-things-to-a-later-release-mode just to get 0.5.0 out of the door. It has some really needed features for the current state of teeworlds.

Hello again!

I'd like to thank you for your quick answers, it's always a pleasure to speak with reactive people.

1- I'm really pleased to read that you are trying to release the 0.5.0 next week! Hopefully for us you got some vacations, but trya get some rest... it's the purpose of holidays!

2- Yeah I noticed it was only quickly made mockups. and yes, if somehow you wanna add one of those graphics, you should give it a serious testing period. Mostly if you choose bluring things or stuff like that, in order to be sure that players won't have headaches after an hour playing. That would be kinda an issue!

3- I think we all agree with this statement! As I said, adding stuff is dangerous for two main reasons: balance of the game, and keeping only useful stuff. And I think you are well placed to know that the only hook gives loads of stuuf by itself. We haven't discovered yet all we can do with it!

4- I'm glad to see baning here. To be honest, I spend some time on the Monkey Style server (search MS in the browser) kicking some trolls, afk players and nasty campers. This will help admins to keep servers away from some (and hopefully it's a minority) people. In a community game, being smart with everyone is important, this maybe will learn someones to be smarter and clever.

5- So we can expect new map features in future releases? That's great news. I just hope this will stick to the "game spirit", and that the initial flow (fast) of the game won't suffuer from it. What I wanted to add to this "map section" is that I find a lot of mappers forget that this is a fast paced game (thanks to the all mighty hook!), and in my opinion a good teeworlds map allows fast moves (i'm thinking mostly about dm2 central place, and ctf2 in general). Hey this is why this game is so exciting! It is incredibly fast!!

So if I'm correct, this version will fill some backgrounds lack (that's not a critic or something, just, it's hard to have all features in early versions, we all know it), such as votes ban, etc. Good decisions, I'll wait for it every day on!

Best regards,

Check out our IRC channel: #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki: http://teewiki.info

ctan: I might add in that http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2098 has some info about two of the maps coming in 0.5, and there are atleast one or two more than those coming.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

matricks wrote:

I hope to release 0.5.0 next week

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Oh and chilly you obviously talk bout AMN1 and 6 when you mentioned the 2 additional maps rite!? smile
Eve talked bout map pool and my map(s) really are comparable to the stock ones,but again different enough to not be the same! Oh and i would like to buy teeshirts soon too. I hope landil and lappi will take care about this issue, theres nothing to lose than a bit time and money, things we all have enuff of smile have a nice week.

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

New weapons will come?

And please
Put ninja skin back
Now a days i have to copy the x_ninja skin to usa as the old ninja (0.3.x)
Please.

Thx for all of your work and "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG" big_smile

GG for all

great goal what you have but
don´t push yourself like that xD we want a bugfree version and u need time to relax too.

i´m looking forward for ur great works big_smile

Marik16 wrote:

great goal what you have but
don´t push yourself like that xD we want a bugfree version

Agree big_smile

GG for all

Quick question for the devs:

Will instagib option be implemented in the 0.5.0 servers? Or will it remain a mod?

I'm asking this because I could REALLY use some voting, banning, spam and flood protection etc. on my Instagib servers.

There used to be a mod with all these features, but it proved totally unstable, therefore unplayable.

So my question is: will there be instagib implemented in 0.5.0 servers ?

~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan

Quick answer: No.

But, you can expect a 0.5-version of the mod 2-3 days after the 0.5 release, Somerunce is both official dev, and the one who created the instagib mod, so he will probably get it working very soon after the release.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

Wow!

Nxt-Gen TW RULEZ!!!111!!!one1!

I want it!!!!

90% of teens today would die if Myspace had a system failure and was completely destroyed.
If you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.
My skins

Hello again,

Don't wanna push you on stress etc. Just wanted to have news about your progress and work. Do you think that you will be able to release the 0.5.0 this week? Just to know if I have to prepare a party for it or not big_smile