Topic: 0.5.0 progress

The cleanup of the source code has gone really well. The gameclient cleanup is almost done and it's much much more structured now. I've done some preparations for mod developers like removing the dependency on GAMETYPE_* enums so mod developers can specify any gametype that they want. This is important so people can filter out non-standard servers on the server browser or search for their specific game type that they like. I will add some sort of pure options that tells the users that it's an unmodified server. The preparations also allows to write some sort of scripting support in the future so modifications can be done without recompiling the server.

There is a little more cleanup to be done, but after that we are going to look into adding a couple of more features. We also started to look a bit more on the graphical profile of teeworlds in order to make more distinction on what is background graphics and foreground. This will help players concentrate on the game while the background is just there to look good so people don't have to turn off the high detail option just to remove the distractions. Only mockups have been done.

The original: Pic
Outline test: Pic
Color correction test: Pic
Some experiments with depth of field: Pic
And nextgen teeworlds smile : Pic (see http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=224)

Remember that these are only mockups to test out a couple of things and nothing of final quality but just to find out what works and what could be problematic.

I will soon start to add some more features to 0.5.0 but I've not yet decided on what these features will be. Voting is high the list but other then that we'll see. I don't wanna cram any really heavy feature into 0.5.0 as we should try to push it out. It has been in development long enough. Time will tell.

2 (edited by bIESEL 2008-08-31 18:00:21)

Re: 0.5.0 progress

i think server-favourites would be great!
Oh and a friend list, where you can see which status your friend have

TEErULEZ-CLAN(www.teerulez.cpage.de)

I don't think we need changes of the main tiles and doodads, if ppl would use the main tiles only for main tiles and doodads for doodads. All tests look ugly (my subjetcive view) and change the complete style of teeworlds.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Nice to hear that there's a lot of progress.
I don't think that additional graphical support is needed for fb/bg-distinction. At least in the official maps even a kitty could distinguish bg and fg. Only if map creators don't think about what they do, this is difficult. Nevertheless the blur (not sooo blurry, please) could be nice.

keep up the good work

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

I find that in 5.0 should be a new Wep. for some more fun and variety

Landil wrote:

I don't think we need changes of the main tiles and doodads, if ppl would use the main tiles only for main tiles and doodads for doodads. All tests look ugly (my subjetcive view) and change the complete style of teeworlds.

I totally agree with that
I think that all tests look ugly
But I think that a light improvement will be good (like the shadows)

"I am brazilian and my english is not good"

I am <x|HT|x> oio BR leader of <x|HT|x>smile
Heaven Tees the best BR clan big_smile. Ally of cKz`
                            GG for all

Remember that these are only mockups to test out a couple of things and nothing of final quality but just to find out what works and what could be problematic.

All of those are like 5 minute mockups. If we do change something, we will spent a lot more time on it to make it actually look good.

Landil wrote:

All tests look ugly (my subjetcive view) and change the complete style of teeworlds.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

IT LOCKS BAD !

I think some of you have missed the point of these screenshots -- they are not indicative of any kind of graphical style change per se. What we're experimenting with are ways to make sure that the gameplay layer is clearly separated from the background layers -- either by having a pronounced outline, working with saturation and brightness, or even going as far as blurring the background layers. These are all measures that could be taken to increase the clarity and playability of the map. I think we've all seen what happens when that isn't taken into account, not to mention new players who are unfamiliar with the visual cues that experienced players take for granted.

Everyone poo-pooing it because "it locks bad" has misunderstood the point of the discussion -- we're not talking about aesthetics here. Your criticism is misdirected.

11 (edited by Landil 2008-08-31 23:36:16)

teetow wrote:

Everyone poo-pooing it because "it locks bad" has misunderstood the point of the discussion -- we're not talking about aesthetics here. Your criticism is misdirected.

You are right.
It's the community's map creators who misused the main tiles as background tiles and doodads as main tiles. Therefore I understand why you act as you act. But the root of all evil is this misuse not the current gfx sad And if this misuse would not happen there would not be a need to change.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

OMG you read VG cats too? XD

_|---------------------------------------|_
  |Skins StudioPaw Steam Icon Graphics |
_|---------------------------------------|_

The separation is a very good idea. I suffer from the issues you mentioned (bg/fg sep) a lot. I can only play with high details turned off because _even_ the stock maps have too much eyecandy. For example its impossible for me to play ctf2 with all those stars. But turning high detail off is a statisfying solution for me, the only problem is some mapmakers dont care about moving the doodads to detail. :<

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

14 (edited by catpaw 2008-09-01 11:34:46)

While outlines/colorcorrection are IMHO a good idea, I don't consider it a good idea to add any special logic in the client executable to dynamically create outlines/colorcorrection or so. I don't know how you consider implementing this foregrong seperations. But you could always simply make them in the tileset graphics. If you want outlines, you can simply add the outlines to the tilesets. If you want color correction, you can simply collor corect the graphics. Level designers can then simply decide themselves what features they want and fit for their level.

I don't know how you implemented this, if you did indeed just change the pngs I said nothing :-) If not, please rethink.

Otherwise the core problem is IMHO bad designed maps, not the client and the solution would be some meta-server feature to help the teequality movement. So by default only teequalified maps are lists (for example doable by having a lift of testified CRCs...)

catpaw wrote:

Otherwise the core problem is IMHO bad designed maps, not the client and the solution would be some meta-server feature to help the teequality movement. So by default only teequalified maps are lists (for example doable by having a lift of testified CRCs...)

Well that's a brilliant idea, catpaw. *thumbs up*

i think all the doodads and graphics dont need to be improved but it would be good to have a friends list so you can go to their server if you click their name, and making a server needs to be easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile

Bye.

dinosmoothie wrote:

1.i think all the doodads and graphics dont need to be improved

2.but it would be good to have a friends list so you can go to their server if you click their name, and

3.making a server needs to be easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. i agree but the experiments look quite funny and interesting
2. Is planned when u have a look on their Trac on trac.teeworlds.com
3. its very hard to click on an exe file

Thread cleaned. Stick to topic please.

Used to be very active waay back

I disagree with marik16. Starting a server needs to be rly difficult! We have far too many crappymappy server with strange settings.

Afaik u can set to be warned when a server runs non-standard tuning. ( Almost ) Everything else depends on the map hosted.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

Hmm... I think those features for fg/bg separation should be an option in the client. Easy to switch on or off by a console command and/or (custom) bind.

I have no problems with such things, but I can imagine that other players do. I dunno which effect would be the best... The depth of field does not fit into the teeworld. It is too realistic. Better would be this saturation thing, where everything which is not "playable" is saturated a bit less. That sounds good, it is not too "aggressive" but already shows a good separation.
Maybe you could also implement two versions of this, one saturation and one depth of field for example, but I can imagine that this make a huge afford which will cost a lot of time.

And about setting up a server: Well, I think it is good as it is. Even though the docs are a bit weird, since they show a default config where only two players can really play. It took me some time to find out that this was the reason that I had never more than two players on my server. Thats a bit confusing in my opinion.
And Landil: What is your problem with servers running maps you do not like? Or settings you dont like? Most servers announce when settings are not normal, already in the server list (I for myself have a normal and a "special" server running, and this is already mentioned in the name). And well, if one server does not announce this, you join, find out that there are tuned settings, leave again (at this point: there should be a notice already in the server list about tuned settings, I agree.). And about the maps, I would just not join a server where a map is running which I dont like.

Whoh, that was a long post, I think. I hope I was not too hard with you all.

greetings
Lord Horazont

Servers:
For normal games: /usr/games/teeworlds/teeworlds_srv
For highly tuned and totally freaky games: /usr/games/teeworlds/teeworlds_special

if making a server actually works (it wont work on mine) then i wouldnt waste it. i would make custom maps too.

Bye.

I'm really looking forward to 0.5.0, keep up the awesome work matricks & co. I must say I really love how the depth of field experiment looks!

A question I had (which may not belong here but I'm not sure where else to put it...)

What do you think are the possibilities further down the road of a (perhaps limited-run) boxed version of Teeworlds? Maybe users could donate over a certain amount and in return get a boxed copy as a sort of souvenir. I know there are more important issues at hand for the devs but it's just a thought and I'd certainly buy one! smile

teeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

@NFD Tee: teeworlds isn't even released, dude wink
i would buy one too xD

ima charhgin ma lazerz!!1
SHOOP DA WHOOOOP!!!!!!11

Reaper: I know, that's why I said further down the road wink

But yeah, it's definitely something I'd like to see happen! :-)

(Sorry to derail, mods, last word on it from me but I would like to know if it's even a remote possibility big_smile <3)

teeeeeeeeeeeeeeee