Topic: About the name change

So, you're probably wondering what the hell is up with the new name. No, there's no reason to panic; it's still very much the same game we've all come to know and love. The reasons for the name change are strictly legal, and the decision was made to avoid potential hassle later on.

All links related to the old name will still work for the foreseeable future, and we will exert no pressure on people who have already registered domains for their fansites. It's completely up to you to change it when it's convenient.

Unfortunately, we cannot divulge any more details about the reasons for changing the name, so please don't ask or comment about it. Rest assured that we explored every option, and held off on making the decision for as long as was possible. We're still as committed as we ever were to keep pursuing the vision of the game, and this change allows us to do it with more freedom.

Now go grab 0.4.0 and enter the Teeworlds!

Re: About the name change

Yes, I know we should not ask about it. But I'll do it anyways.

WHY can't you give any further information? At least the WHY should have been said in the news. No need to tell names or something, but a general WHY. Or since when is a "legal" reason forbidden to be said?
Where you theatened with a charge or something? If so, then why can't you say it? Again, no need to tell names, only an anonymous WHY.

Sorry, but I can't stand non-saying announcments that even force us to shut up with our questions.

No offense, only extreme curiosity.

Thanks.

kolli wrote:

WHY can't you give any further information? At least the WHY should have been said in the news. No need to tell names or something, but a general WHY. Or since when is a "legal" reason forbidden to be said?
Where you theatened with a charge or something? If so, then why can't you say it? Again, no need to tell names, only an anonymous WHY.

Sorry, but I can't stand non-saying announcments that even force us to shut up with our questions.

No offense, only extreme curiosity.

Thanks.

+1

I can solve this riddle.

There was a not mentioned developer Lars Samström who in the meanwhile reserved the name teewars™ as a trademark on his name. As there were some discrepancies in the developer team, how to go on with teewars™ (freeware/open source vs. paid clients) the developer team split up. Lars, who owns the name rights and wanted to make money out of the project got angry and said that if the team uses the name further more he will go to court. :-( Therefore the change of the name was the only solution.

You can find further information here

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

They might not be able to tell us without breaking any legal things, and thats why they don't want us to speculate on it.

Tjofras wrote:

They might not be able to tell us without breaking any legal things, and thats why they don't want us to speculate on it.

In what country are detailed news ilegal? And I didn't asked for names. Only for the type of this "legal reason".

"Legal reasons" - that could be anything and everything. It could also mean that we, all the players, participated unwillingly in an illegal project. But it could also mean "Oh there is this company that has a registered product called 'Twarz' and that sounds like teewars, so we better change it to not eventually run in copyright issues."

You see the wide range of posibilities, don't you? That's why I ask.

Don't get me wrong, I like the new name and I liked the old. I like the game. But these kind of non-saying news make me a bit angry (not only in this game, but also in all other situation).
Why make a news when there is no real information in it?

The news basically says "We changed the names, but wont tell you why!". I would have known this without the news at all, but only seeing the new name.

This is very hypothetical. Say that they have signed a NDA for the company they work at and they know that the company might have plans to release a product under the same name. In this position they cannot tell us why they changed it without breaking the NDA.

I read the news as "We changed the name, but we can't tell you why"

Tjofras wrote:

This is very hypothetical. Say that they have signed a NDA for the company they work at and they know that the company might have plans to release a product under the same name. In this position they cannot tell us why they changed it without breaking the NDA.

I read the news as "We changed the name, but we can't tell you why"

They won't break it, if they tell no names, no dates, no products, no companies.
A sentence like "The name change was because of a agreement with a company about another product." would have been enough. This sentence explains all, without giving any "secrets" away.

And since when does a completly free and independent open source game project sign contracts with companies?

kolli wrote:

And since when does a completly free and independent open source game project sign contracts with companies?

Well the people developing might. It's not like they can live of donations smile

kolli wrote:

A sentence like "The name change was because of a agreement with a company about another product." would have been enough. This sentence explains all, without giving any "secrets" away.

That is true, but with some research I'm sure you could narrow it down and figure out what company it could be. And even if they didn't break any agreements it could be looked on bad from the company's view.

I'm not saying that my theory is the case here. I'm just trying to state a case where there might be a reason for them not being able to tell us the reason behind the name change.

I think Landil has it wink

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

Greed is a tee.

I applaud the team for keeping the game open and free  smile

kolli wrote:

It's immature to do stuff you know you shouldn't.

Geez why is it such a big deal to some people!?

We don't like having info withheld. This isn't a government, it's an open source game.

if($poster["intelligence"] == $intelligence["idiot"])
        deny_post($poster);

/care

When you like a girl and don't know her name, you still like her, no matter what her name is. I like this game; even if they'd call it An*lSl*ts United, I'd play the game. So what's up with nagging about a little name change like this one? You have your game, it's improved, so stfu and play smile

*no offence meant*

[chat]: NAZI 4 LIFE: how the fuck u get out of the box
[chat]: nuff @ clan search: ctrl+shift+q
*** NAZI 4 LIFE has left the game

But i think, it isnt good, that you can change your name when ever you want to...
For exmple:
A guy changed his name to [SMASH-Leader]brawl (the real member: [SMASH-Leader]Brawl ) and said some team members, they are now 3.leader or they are the master of this clan...
That is bad, maybe you could add a system, which give a result, that you have just ONE name.
If its able, please do that!
XeneX

MyRace:   |   run_fool
Help
Me:    |   Pennergame
My
Clan:    |   «Òó°L»

We're not talking about the same thing.
Here it's about the game name, Teeworlds, formerly known as Teewars

spl0k, aka Al`. From the HuH clan.
Noobing pwns since 01/01/1970.
TeeViewer - TeeComp

17 (edited by ImMortallity 2008-06-05 13:37:06)

[_Xe'n'eX_]: Take a look in the other forums, there's a topic about tee-names wink

EDIT: I see you've even posted in it.. http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1607
I guess this is a topic that allows the name-changing part you mentioned here wink

[chat]: NAZI 4 LIFE: how the fuck u get out of the box
[chat]: nuff @ clan search: ctrl+shift+q
*** NAZI 4 LIFE has left the game