1 (edited by ANK3R 2020-05-26 23:15:16)

Topic: [MOD][0.7] LaserBall (L-Ball)

Hello community!
(First of all: sorry for my bad english)

The last few days I worked on my first own mod called L-BALL!

What is L-Ball?
L-Ball stands for LaserBall.
You remember the mod of GreyFox where you have a grenade, used as a Ball and you have to shoot it into the oponents goal?
I really liked the mod, but there was no real "ball feeling", so i tried my best and and created a ball out of lasers and gave it a core. So you can walk against, hammer and hook the ball!
In a Map there can be up to 10Balls. (I could easily add more, but I set this as maximum to not flood the server)

What did I add?
Tiles:

• LaserBall Tile: Spawns a LaserBall

• BlueGoal Tile: Goal of the blue team

• RedGoal Tile: Goal of the red team

Server Settings:

• sv_teams: 0: ALL vs. ALL ; 1: RED vs. BLUE

• sv_dunking: (For basketball) if the Tee still hooks the ball and scores, he/the team gets 3points

• sv_ball_respawn_time: seconds how long the ball needs to respawn after it was scored

• sv_damage: Allows to kill tees

Tunings:

• ball_gravity: gravity of the ball

• ball_bounce: How good the ball can bounce (bad 0.f - very good 1.f)

• ball_lose_ground_vel_x: the horizontal speed lose of the ball on ground

• ball_lose_air_vel_x: the horizontal speed lose of the ball in air

• ball_hook_time: how long a Tee can hook the ball

• hammer_ball_strength: how hard the tee can hammer the ball

• ball_hooking: allows to hook the ball: 0:no 1:yes 2:hook gets retracted

• ball_radius: the radius of the ball

Also reworked the votings a little bit and added vote headers.
(Theay aren't voteable) and other little features in voting.

TODO:

• Make ball hook more smooth
    (Problem: reduces max players or use another laser as hook instead of the hook img

• Maps (porting 0.6. BALL maps to L-Ball Maps, or creating new ones (also dmg maps maybe)

• => Entities

• fine tunings (player walks with ball[also a bit shaky])

• Tiles where you get more points (+3/+5)

• Don't allow hook player and ball at the same time

• Ball change size, rework collision with tiles

• add sv_start_grenade can be enabled in no dmg mode, for faster movement

• add sv_max_players_per team (Used for 1v1 2v2 ...)

If you have any cool idea what i should add, feel free to tell me!

----------------------------------------

For now I will NOT release any binarys or source!
I'm no programmer so the code is very messy and also the mod has still a lot of bugs.
Maybe I will release a binary or source code in the feature(not sure)

If you want to create a map: feel free!
I will add Entities soon (or at least give the tiles ID)
And if you're sending me your map I also can run it on the server for testing reasons.

If you want to test the mod I currently run a Server (TW-0.7.5.)
Just search for LaserBall, the mod L-Ball or my name "Anker".

I can't work on the mod for the next 3Weeks, because I have important exams.
But meanwhile I hope you're enjoying my mod and you can give me a lot of feedback and suggestions! smile

Thanks!
~Anker

Re: [MOD][0.7] LaserBall (L-Ball)

ANK3R wrote:

For now I will NOT release any binarys or source!
I'm no programmer so the code is very messy and also the mod has still a lot of bugs.
Maybe I will release a binary or source code in the feature(not sure)

I am sure if your mod is good enough to be announced on this forum and you have servers running already that someone would be interested in the source. Also if others get annoyed by the bugs they might fix them for you if the source is public.

#yemDX is a known troll!
but onbgy is the biggest troll
and deen always trolls, he just makes it so perfect that u think hes not

I mean, it's absolutely understandable to want to withold sources. It's a bit stranger to not share binaries after making a post here though, this is not be affected by the eternal "my code is messy" problem.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Thanks ChillerDragon and Dune for replying!

Dune wrote:

It's a bit stranger to not share binaries after making a post here though

As I wrote in my original post, I just don't have time to continue working on the mod.
I decided to write a post in this forum, because I was hoping for some feedback during the time when I can't work on the mod anyway and then start with new ideas.
That's why I "just" host a server and didn't publish the binaries because I knew it's buggy and I don't want to share buggy binaries.
I will definitely upload the binaries here in the next two weeks, when I find time to remove the bugs. smile

ChillerDragon wrote:

Also if others get annoyed by the bugs they might fix them for you if the source is public.

If someone asks me if he can have the source code, I will send it to him. It never was my intention to keep the code private, but I also don't want to publish a messy code to everyone.
I hope you can understand that, if you disagree, tell me. smile

is not about buggy code, I tried your mod...
simply isn't possible to get a client prediction of the ball movement, so without a modded client will seems always laggy

I don’t know what you’re self-criticizing, but the mod is perfect.
Best thing I've seen in the last couple of years!

CarmineZ wrote:

is not about buggy code, I tried your mod...
simply isn't possible to get a client prediction of the ball movement, so without a modded client will seems always laggy

Using the grenade fixes this, you can tune the speed, curvature parameters and get the client to predict it.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Browed wrote:

Best thing I've seen in the last couple of years!

Thanks a lot! It's very nice to hear something like that! smile

CarmineZ wrote:

simply isn't possible to get a client prediction of the ball movement

Yes I know that it's nearly impossible without a custom client to get a smooth prediction of the balls movement.
But I will try that the ball is handled like a character. I mean sending the position and velocity of the ball to the client, let him think it's a character, but in real it's the ball. I don't know if this will work out, but I will try it.
A problem here is, that more balls means fewer players can join the server. (But I don't think that there is a Map needing more than 10 balls, so 54 should be still enough wink )
(or trying the same thing as a projectile instead of a character, this would solve the used player slots for the balls)

Dune wrote:

Using the grenade fixes this

You're right, but exactly this was my intention to don't use, because a grenade just don't look like a round ball.
And also I want to be able to change the balls radius, and that's impossible with a grenade, or at least it would look very ugly if the grenade bounces 3Tiles above the ground, because the radius is 3 times as big as the projectiles graphic.

in my opinion, if you are going to create an amazing modification, you shouldn't care to keep compatibility with the official client... then you will more free to customize everything

CarmineZ wrote:

in my opinion, if you are going to create an amazing modification, you shouldn't care to keep compatibility with the official client... then you will more free to customize everything

Most mods that go this way die quickly because of the lack of exposure/ease of access.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

It's true, but many compatible mod are now without interested players in too, unfortunately.
Many servers are most of the time empty.

CarmineZ wrote:

It's true, but many compatible mod are now without interested players in too, unfortunately.
Many servers are most of the time empty.

well, i see so much DDrace Servers

GOOGLE TRANSLATE big_smile:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D: