Topic: No vanilla servers?

There is waaaaaaaaaay too much modded crapservers out there.

Seriously.

Sucky maps with just random tiles all over the place, servers modded to crap, maps where the creator hacen't had time to tile correctly so it atleast looks decent and neither has fixed so ppl playing with low detail can play.

I want this to stop. We should in some way as a community make sure that teeworlds stay competitive, mean, lean and sexy. ( smile ) Maybe make a list of good servers and good maps, or some quality marking or whatever.. It's impossible to play some decent competitive dm as it is now.

Am I alone thinking this or is someone with me?

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

2 (edited by Vo0do0 2008-04-26 17:27:31)

Re: No vanilla servers?

i think so,too lol
a good map is in my opinion the tetris map,playable on the tetris server,
the run forrest map is an nice race map.

And of course the maps made by jeppo are great.All the maps have an working background.

My Tower defence mode:
My Tower-defence Mod

i think sometimes it can be funny to play a mod, but there are definetly to much modded server.
I hope that an extra filter for modded server will be in the next version.

the different maps are great, i like fc_shortday most.

but there are unmodded servers too, like my server wink (".:scosu.de - ranking:.") with different maps.

i just develope an ingame votingsystem for the maps, so you can see in the next version of StaTee what map the players like or not. You should vote with something like "/vote 1-10". But it will not influence the map-rotation. When you are serveradmin you can replace the bad maps.

something like a map-database would be great with votings for every map and a small picture of the map.

Huh... I see many unmodded servers with dm1 here.

bam: WARNING:'src/game/server/gamemodes/mod.cpp' comes from the future

definately too many crap maps! The priate stuff is nice, but it's really §§%&!%& tiled. Unfortunatly my graphics folder was destroyed ... but I am recreating the images at present.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Yeah, that's right. While only few are made really good, other are just crappy. Pirates it's good , but as Landil said it awfully tiled. Same with paradise map. Maybe a list of good maps and servers is a good idea...

There are plently vanilla servers. Just nobody but absolute pro's play them.

I don't think just because there is a player shifting, vanilla is any "worse" in comparison to all the mod-servers, but people just like change while for a while. We played vanilla many months, and right now enjoy other game settings.

Personally I'd like to experience a new map / game setting every day. I personally just love much more logging somewhere in, and figuring out how it works, than continously optimizing my playskill on the very same thing day after day.

Good idea. There should be a voting field near the server entry in the selection dialogue.

if($poster["intelligence"] == $intelligence["idiot"])
        deny_post($poster);

I'm thinking of making some kind of guideline of how a map must be to get some kind of "quality mark", the thing is making map designers and server hosters care, any idea of how? Some kind of list, or some low-ping servers/hosts that decide only to use quality-marked maps. If hosters and map makers are intrested I may start to further create such a system so what do you think?

@Chi11y: I think that sounds like a really nice idea. There are way to many "bad" maps and servers out there today...

Used to be very active waay back

FireArrow: It is coming soon, if you're very interested talk to me in irc. smile

How about you just test map makers to get certified as a good map maker, and then any map that that maker makes is "good"? tongue

plain vanilla means standard

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_%2 … guation%29
2nd paragraph:

en.wikipedia.org wrote:

Vanilla is also commonly used to mean "plain" or "conventional," derived from the use of vanilla extract as the most popular flavoring for ice cream.

* Vanilla option, in finance, a "simple" or well understood option
    * Vanilla sex, a term referring to what a society regards as standard or conventional human sexual behavior
    * Vanilla software, referring to software that is used "as delivered"

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

15 (edited by Landil 2008-05-14 15:11:09)

next time ask your local dictionary wink
Even leo can translate it

16 (edited by catpaw 2008-05-14 15:58:05)

Landil, haven't you got anything better to do than going around  and always say, "use this search, use that directory"... human communication has some redundancy in it. Thats the way it is.

Its like you detest any word that hasn't got a direct utility...

Its not that this IMHO really helps..

catpaw wrote:

Landil, haven't you got anything better to do than going around  and always say, "use this search, use that directory"...

No, nothing better to do! wink

Isn't it faster to search at leo.org, what plain vanilla means in German?

I think it's a shame to spam a thread with pointless questions, that could easily be answered by yourself in less than a minute, if the forum's search function, google, wiki or sth. similar was used. It's a bad habit to burden so. with finding the answer, because of the incompetence of searching.

*laughing out loud* Oh c'mon. What is this about? It is something between stupid and harassing if nobody uses the search tool, an faq or a tutorial. The internet is a medium in which you should be able to find all information you need, if you are searching it in the right way. Since even 11y old kids can use a forum search, I expect that most people are too lazy to look for the infos.

Definitely, I don't want unnecessary information in a discussion, since ppl who join it later, have to see all those crappy "what is this, what is that" questions.

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook