Topic: Dynamic camera as a default setting: discuss

Water has made a case for turning off dynamic camera as a default:

Water! wrote:

Take off dynamic camera as a default setting! How is that good? It's a nice feature but it's completely un-intuitive compared to a fixed camera and it must not help those new players getting smashed as mentionned earlier!

Especially on vanilla mods where almost everyone starts, not only does it have little use for newbies but it just makes your fighting not flow right.

How many times do you see obvious first-time players with decent gaming sense but awful movement just wandering around and likely quitting and never playing again?

If someone plays more they can experiment with dynamic camera and choose onwards, but naturally it shoud be a fixed camera.

Although this is a trivial change, If the default gameplay was more intuitive, it would make a certainly noticable difference for new players which is something everyone would like to see in TW.

This was reported on github as issue #1565, to which Oy answered:

Oy wrote:

Well, when you play the game for the first time you just run/jump around cause moving with the hook is hard and needs time to get used to it. A wider range of sight maybe more usefull in this situation.
But maybe we can have a vote about it?

What's your opinion?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Re: Dynamic camera as a default setting: discuss

Disable dynamic camera as default.

Disable as default.

P.S. Suggest: Press and hold a button for dynamic cam

~~~~Simple

Disable as default

I will be banned if I troll again ...

DEXi wrote:

Disable as default, press and hold a button for dynamic cam

+1 fair compromise

Disable it as default

7 (edited by ShootXen 2018-10-29 01:19:34)

I also agree on disabling it.

Would also go for the "Dyn Bind"-key but that is another topic.

8 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2018-10-29 23:25:12)

Disabled by default.

I understand Oy's line of thought but water makes a point. For the new players dyncam's wider range of sight won't offer much of an advantage or help. I guess it just makes for a dizzy screen.

It would be nice if there was a basic tutorial map explaining the mechanics and at some point mentioning dyncam in the options. Like once they feel ready they go into options and activate it

Once in a century...

DARK HUNTER wrote:

It would be nice if there was a basic tutorial map explaining the mechanics and at some point mentioning dyncam in the options. Like once they feel ready they go into options and activate it

Yes this would be nice.  Somone had a mod with a new game type that added targets randomly through out the map. Some targets could only be destroyed by a certain weapon. They wanted to make it so that some targets would move along a path to make it harder to hit. It would be nice if there was a good tutorial level using this this system. maybe even some bots that would spawn.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

I think disabled is a saner default as well.

It was eventually disabled by default (b699d2b)

DEXi wrote:

Disable as default.

P.S. Suggest: Press and hold a button for dynamic cam

Also done. (#1604)
This allows to bind something such as:

bind tab +toggle cl_dynamic_camera 1 0

for press-and-hold behavior.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune that's good (I tested it yesterday) but we a hard-toggle behavior would be practical as well. Maybe another similar toggle command that's not press & hold.

Magnet wrote:

Dune that's good (I tested it yesterday) but we a hard-toggle behavior would be practical as well. Maybe another similar toggle command that's not press & hold.

That's what toggle/+toggle is for :)

bind w toggle cl_dynamic_camera 1 0 // hard toggle
bind tab +toggle cl_dynamic_camera 1 0 // press and hold
Not Luck, Just Magic.

Cool! smile

15 (edited by Bolto 2018-12-10 09:50:42)

One could just look at the DDnet's client, it implements stuff Vanilla could use, personally i would just use the DDnet client to play Vanilla anyway. i know you guys have very strong opinions about MODS of TW, but DDnet has already been there & done that for the most part, like https://forum.ddnet.tw/viewtopic.php?t=6615. i understand that care full development keeps the core experience & feel intact, but these baby steps in the right direction make me remember why once i downloaded the DDnet client i never when back. i don't know about how to make/develop a game, so take what say with lots of salt, it seems your trying to build from scratch whats already there.

Off topic, closing.

Thanks for the (unanimous) feedback.

Not Luck, Just Magic.