1 (edited by if_mistake38 2017-12-02 12:41:26)

Topic: Reporting Marple Servers

Hi people,

I'm currently there to report Marple servers. They are currently spawning so many bots to fake player counts.
As I heard, this isn't allowed, I've already warned the owner of it about sending infos to Masters.

When there is no real players, the count of bots is around 50/64.

Marple1

Marple2

Marple3

smile, Thanks.

Re: Reporting Marple Servers

Surely this should be either deactivated or banned.

However, a small technical info: the master servers are just providing a list of ip adresses, the individual information is sent from the individual server to you directly.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know who invented that but actually this is a pretty major privacy issue.

1. The ip address of everyone who queries the serverlist is sent to everyone on the serverlist
2. This extends even farther with custom clients which trigger automatic serverlist reloads.
=> this might be exploited by placing fake server entries in the master server list, querying the serverlist on said server frequently and mapping incoming request ip addresses to users when it is likely that a certain user is right now querying the serverlist. Over some time a database could be built linking players to ip addresses with a certain probability which depends mainly on the amount of recent playtime, which can be used for attacks on an individual but also "just" tracking players across servers and even across name changes in many instances, all without a player ever consciously connecting to your server. A demonstration of this attack is yet outstanding but that doesn't have to stay this way.

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

if_mistake38 wrote:

I'm currently there to report Marple servers. They are currently spawning so many bots to fake player counts.
As I heard, this isn't allowed, I've already warned the owner of it about sending infos to Masters.

When there is no real players, the count of bots is around 50/64.

It seems that the admin has already corrected it. Can you confirm?

I confirm it, but I know they will retry.

heinrich5991 wrote:

It seems that the admin has already corrected it. Can you confirm?

if_mistake38 wrote:

I confirm it, but I know they will retry.

this is him retrying i have reported it months ago
https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12300

Does someone know a way to contact the server admin?

Unrelated to Marple, but today those servers with gamtype BW were crashing both my ddnet (little older) and standard teeworlds (0.6.3) client upon connection. They are currently hosted on the server with the ip 95.172.92.241 on ports 8312, 8301, 8308, 8307, 8305, 8306, 8309, 8311, and 8304 (as appeared on my serverlist)

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)