1 (edited by m!nus 2016-10-23 19:14:21)

Topic: Question for developers

Hey, teeworlds community, I want to tell you about important issues for the game, how i think. In recent time, increasingly I see that in spite of addition serious protection to the game mechanics, people still trying to damage our game. And I can say that to frequent DDoS attacks added another problem.

Recently, found one "interesting" tool named '**snip**', which allows create these problems. In content, seems that it used for mediocre flooding, which fortunately has the fixed, but also has two relevant tools. The first from where you can create a customizable fake server, or list server, that register on the master server and will be add to the 'Internet ' list. The second is also quite customizable proxies, which add vote bot and similar implementation of multiclient.

That doesn't sound too impressive of course, but used successfully and clearly don't with good intentions. Recently, I see that guys was kicked by this bots for nothing. And returning to the trash in the server list, that steals data between user and server. I don't know whether this action of developers or smb who just download this program, but it's obviously not too well..

Therefore, my question is: possible create  protection against this shit for teeworlds servers or maybe protection directly at master server, because I'm already tired that user accounts data go nowhere.

If need, link to them site: **snip**

Look forward to your answers!

Screenshots:

screen1
screen2

Removed name and link. No need to further spread that stuff
// minus

Re: Question for developers

I'm really hating all these ddos/fake server creator kids. Go get a life, this is Teeworlds. It's already small, no need to ruin it. smh

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

BRONOOB wrote:

Recently, found one "interesting" tool named '**snip**', which allows create these problems. In content, seems that it used for mediocre flooding, which fortunately has the fixed, but also has two relevant tools. The first from where you can create a customizable fake server, or list server, that register on the master server and will be add to the 'Internet ' list. The second is also quite customizable proxies, which add vote bot and similar implementation of multiclient.

As far as I can tell, you describe two tools.
1) A tool that lets you register a server at the masters which isn't actually a game server, so you can't connect to it with a Teeworlds client.
2) Some sort of proxy that lets you join with multiple tees at the same time (?).

Is the first tool correctly described? Can you elaborate on the second tool you described?

2nd is meant that its a proxy server which registers as a copy of a real server and imitates a real server and sends all packets to the real server but can read stuff like login on some servers, or rcon and similar.....

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

There are solutions to that 'fake server' problem, the most obvious and heavy-handed one - disallow registering more than 2 servers per IP, and whitelist known-good IPs on request.

A bit better solution would be to make the client send a message 'this server is dead' to the masterserver, so when the masterserver receives 5 or 10 of such messages, from different IPs, it will remove that server from the list for 2-3 minutes.

This feature itself can be abused to down-rank good servers, but you need to obtain several different IP addresses for that, so I guess it's better to compare them by subnet.