1 (edited by necropotame 2015-11-07 14:38:42)

Topic: [SOLVED] Artefacts when using a homemade tileset

Hi,

I'm working on a tileset (Damascus), but I see a lot of artefacts when I use it in teeworlds editor. Connections between some tiles are wrong, but my png file seems correct.

Any ideas ?

http://s3.postimg.org/cznj0vf9r/damascus.jpg
http://s7.postimg.org/hmt4j48tj/damascus_tileset.jpg

2 (edited by xush 2015-11-02 20:23:07)

Re: [SOLVED] Artefacts when using a homemade tileset

Did you run the dilate.exe/borderfix.exe on it?

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

No. Border fix is your choice

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

I really like these.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

Border fix reduce a little artifacts, but they are still there. These artifacts are directly on the PNG now. For dilate, it change nothing.

I'm using an image of size 1024 x 1024, where each tile has  a size of 64 x 64, without space between them. Is it correct ?

There's a rendering issue with textures. Cropping and rendering the tiles does not work properly. Thus we need to double the pixels which are next to a cropping border.

The old (<= 0.6?) borderfix binary took each tile resized it to 60x60 px and doubled the outer pixels.

There has been a the border_add binary around which uses a 960x960 px tileset as input graphic and delivers an 1024x1024 px output.

Dilate is needed to fix alpha channel issues. It helps to fix strange looking, blured borders of graphics. It should be used for ALL graphics and does not have any restrictions regarding input dimensions.

==> Border fix changes the tileset on purpose and makes it look shitty if viewed directly. But the tiles will look great ingame.
==> Dilate fixes a transprency issue and should be used for all graphics used ingame.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

So I need to change my tileset in such way that each tile has a size of 62x62 with a border of one pixel around with coherent colors ? Strange bug !

For dilate, I will use it.

necropotame wrote:

So I need to change my tileset in such way that each tile has a size of 62x62 with a border of one pixel around with coherent colors ? Strange bug !

borderfix: 64x64 tile --resized--> 60x60 tile --additional 2px border (on each side)--> 64x64 tile
borderadd: 60x60 tile --additional 2px border (on each side)--> 64x64 tile

we have 16 rows and 16 columns, so the input files need a tileset with ... pixels each side.
--> 16 x 60px = 960px
--> 16 x 60px = 1024px

The borderadd advantage is that we do not the resizing step anymore, which improves the quality.
AFAIK we do not need these steps anymore in 0.7. (Can anyone of the coders confirm this pls?)

I can confirm. I don't know why, but if you look at src/tools in teeworlds Source there is not border* in master branch any longer. just compare master and 0.6 branches

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

I prefer to choose the step without scaling. I will test it. But then  I will need to rescale it in inkscape to 0.7. Bad bug !
I will post comparison when it's done and then close the topic.

Thanks a lot !

Landil wrote:

AFAIK we do not need these steps anymore in 0.7. (Can anyone of the coders confirm this pls?)

Yeah, no need for tileset_borderfix or dilate anymore in 0.7.

Remember the 80s - good times smile

It works perfectly with 60x60 tileset + borderadd + dilate. I will do it again for 0.7 with 64x64 (+ dilate), but later.

http://s14.postimg.org/fqdt746h9/damascustileset.jpg

necropotame wrote:

I will do it again for 0.7 with 64x64 (+ dilate), but later.

Don't use dilate.

Remember the 80s - good times smile

14 (edited by Desichall1949 2016-09-24 05:26:41)

Landil wrote:
necropotame wrote:

borderfix: 64x64 tile --resized--> 60x60 tile --additional 2px border (on each side)--> 64x64 tile
borderadd: 60x60 tile --additional 2px border (on each side)--> 64x64 tile

read honest crazy bulk reviews here.

we have 16 rows and 16 columns, so the input files need a tileset with ... pixels each side.
--> 16 x 60px = 960px
--> 16 x 60px = 1024px

The borderadd advantage is that we do not the resizing step anymore, which improves the quality.

I would like to get something like this but more random (less structures).