201 (edited by necropotame 2016-04-22 16:13:26)

Re: [TeeUniverse] Devlog

I've updated the branch "assets-editor", so you can compile it again. However, keep in mind that this branch is just a preview of the assets editor. The game in itself is not playable, mainly because new skin and weapon systems are not finished yet. Even the default assets are not correct. I release it only because I want feedback on the new animation system smile

New stuff:
* New type of assets: skeletons, skeleton animations and skeleton skins.
* Tabs to explore internal/external/map/skin assets
* Editable integer/float/text in the editor
* Better popup
* Color chooser
* Better save/load buttons

I've removed animations (replaced my skeleton animations), tee animations (replaced by all the skeletal stuff) and attaches (not implemented yet with the new system). I've removed also the possibility to edit and view different assets, mainly because it become too hard to keep it coherent.

If you want a correct example of animation, you can check the asset "teeWalk". Don't be surprise if eyes don't move with the aim. It's because the rotation of eyes is dependent of the weapon, so it's done in "gunAttack", "hammerAttack" and "shotgunAttack".

Edit: the skeleton of tees is probably not done yet. You can discuss it too smile

First thing that I thought was I wanted is to know what all the new tabs and buttons do. But like vanilla Teeworlds nothing have tool hints. Don't know how hard this would be but it would be nice to mouse over tabs and buttons to find out what they are or do.

http://www.paintshopprotutorials.co.uk/assets/images/crop_tool_accident_ssssssssssssss.gif

When Moving the Eye on ShotgunAttack and others you can move the eye out of bounds and it turns red and the tee goes back to home position. What is the purpose of this?

I will play around with it some more and let you know what I think of the rest of the Assets Editor.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

In vanilla 0.7, there is tool hints. I will implement the same thing for the assets editor. Basically, it's a message displayed in the bottom/left part of the screen, without need of delay. I prefer this solution because you don't have to wait. I will work on it soon to make the exploration easier for you smile

For the directional gizmo (aim, motion and hook), you can disable it by moving it "out  of bounds", as you said. It's useless for the aim, but needed for motion and hook, because sometime, there is no motion and no hook and your animation must handle it by, for example, disable a layer.

devlog: The skin system is now working. I've also started to implement Teeworlds 0.6 compatibility on the server side. It works (0.6, 0.7 and ModAPi clients can play together), but I've a lag issue due to some strange bug smile Technically, the compatibility rely on the multi-snapshot system. Each entity must implement Snap07ModAPI(), Snap07() and Snap06() functions to describe how an object should be represented for each client. For the connexion part, the server is registered by the masterserver two times: one with the 0.7 protocol and one with the 0.6 protocol. Each protocol works on it's own port (by default, 8303 and 8304). Of course, clients that use 0.6 client are vulnerable to spoofing, but since the compatibility with 0.6 is optional, I don't think it's a problem.

Just a question: is it easy and possible to implement a good-looking way to separate servers registered to different masterservers?

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

https://s14.postimg.org/3nxzewp8h/gui_logo.png

I've decided to change the name of "ModAPI" to "TeeUniverses" because ModAPI is more a fork than an API. ModAPI can support a lot of graphical changes that can break easly the "teeish" style. Of course, it's still possible to do teeish things with ModAPI, but it's just a subset of what can offer the asset editor.
A "Universe" can be view as a list of gametypes, an asset file and a set of guidelines. TeeWorlds 0.6, TeeWorlds 0.7, DDNet and InfClass will be the first universes available in ModAPI. The server list will use some kind of tabs to separate each universe. That way, it will be easier to keep things sorted and "pure". A "Dark Universe" that contains all remaining servers will be also available. For example, Ninslash and MineTee could be 2 new universes in ModAPI.

Schwertspize wrote:

Just a question: is it easy and possible to implement a good-looking way to separate servers registered to different masterservers?

I think I've answered your question tongue

necropotame wrote:

A "Dark Universe" that contains all remaining servers will be also available. For example, Ninslash and MineTee could be 2 new universes in ModAPI.

I use my own master server. tongue

https://s10.postimg.org/5sbgja3d5/assetseditor_map.png

devlog:

• Revamped assets editor

• vanilla maps can be loaded in the editor and tile layers can be edited

I've also adopted a particular terminology for assets pacakge. There is 4 types of packages: universe, world, land and skins.
The "universe" package is loaded when the user start the program or when the user try to join a server from a different universe.
The "world" package is loaded when you jion a server (it's the old "mod" file from the early version of ModAPI)
The "land" package is loaded when the map change
All "skin" packages are loaded when the client start and contains what you put in the skin folder.

1. The client should be able to send his skin as base64 (or whatever) to the server so the server can distribute them to all connected clients (skin packages tongue). Using crc here too.

2. I think there used to be parts in the mod file which should be in the land, because they describe eg the position of assets tongue or did I get this wrong?

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

Schwertspize wrote:

1. The client should be able to send his skin as base64 (or whatever) to the server so the server can distribute them to all connected clients (skin packages tongue). Using crc here too.

The main problem here is that you will get horrible skins (tee based on photos of Trump, or tee with dicks) as well as unfair skin (transparent) tongue

Schwertspize wrote:

2. I think there used to be parts in the mod file which should be in the land, because they describe eg the position of assets tongue or did I get this wrong?

I don't understand this part. Universe, world and land package can contains the same type of assets. The only difference is when you load them. You can even store a map in the universe package if you want, so it will be loaded when the client start (it's a wrong practice, however).

211 (edited by necropotame 2016-08-31 13:32:25)

devlog:

• GUI with more modern look

• External images are now working

• Editable physics layer (air, solid and nohook). For this one, I've tried to make it more easy to visualize than in the vanilla editor.

https://s14.postimg.org/sskmtvekt/assetseditor_tiles.png  https://s17.postimg.org/teg684m2z/assetseditor_physics.png https://s16.postimg.org/apx40z6ip/assetseditor_quads.png

devlog:

I try to make the map editor as complete as possible. The goal is that anything that can be done in the vanilla editor must be possible also with the assets editor, but in a more intuitive way. That way, even if nobody use TeeUniverses, at least, I hope the map editor will be appreciated tongue

General improvement

• Partial undo/redo feature

• Improved GUI

Quad editing
I've added 3 tools for quad manipulation:

• The "transform" tool that allows you to move, rotate and scale a quad. Just click on a quad (I check transparency) and drag the quad. You can also rotate it using the gizmo at the corner. If you click again on the quad, you switch to the scaling mode (like in InkScape).
    https://s22.postimg.org/t6kzxg9t9/assetseditor_quadtransform.png

• The "edit" tool that allows you to move independently each vertex of the quad.
    https://s17.postimg.org/vhxizwgnv/assetseditor_quadedit.png

• The "stamp" tool that allows you create and copy quads. It works like tiles: a right click open a palette from witch you can select a part of the texture. Once selected, you can create a quad using left click. Flip and rotate option are also available.
    https://s21.postimg.org/uyg7nlz9v/assetseditor_quadstamp1.png https://s16.postimg.org/mwjsyelb5/assetseditor_quadstamp2.png

In addition, quad animation is now simpler: just use the "new frame" tool in the time line to create key frames, and the envelope will be automatically created. Then, take the "transform" tool, check the "frame transform" option and move your
quad as you want.

Wish teeworlds would have a editor like this.. Its so much more useable and polished than the one we got..

214 (edited by necropotame 2016-09-26 13:54:03)

I continue the work on the GUI part. Now, it start to be mature enough to be used in the game itself, and not only the assets editor. Progressively, I will replace the old GUI system by the new. There is several interesting point with the new GUI system: it's faster to render text, it support more languages (CJK, arabic, ...), it can be scaled as you want and it support IME. Here is a first trial of implementing the general menu of the game:
http://s18.postimg.org/4oby68z1x/teeuniverses_menu_english.png
The same, but in Arabic (I've used Google Translate to make it, because it's just a test tongue). Please note that the menu is automatically reversed in this case, because Arabic is written from right to left
http://s9.postimg.org/vv77ju7q3/teeuniverses_menu_arabic.png

And the same menu again, but in Japanese and Chinese, with different scale
http://s9.postimg.org/x1mqt49mz/teeuniverses_menu_japanese.png http://s11.postimg.org/kggfc0fgv/teeuniverses_menu_chinese.png

Edit: One another interesting point of this system is that all styles are defined in the assets editor as well. So it's easy to customize the menu (colors, margins, boxes, ...). The idea is that, like with NetGUI, a server will be able to simulate a interface to compatible clients, using default or custom styles. You can figure out how the menu can be customized by just compare the difference between the assets editor and the game menu. Both use the same system, but with differents "Gui assets".

Do you know css screen "queries"?

Basically, is it possible to have a menu which, when you scale it, react responsively, like if you have lots of space you got more columns with more on one screen instead of just having smaller text?

High aim, I know, but it's just a suggestion.

I think that I need to implement something like that anyway to display the list of flags and the list of skins. An "icon view" is a layout where you fill the horizontal direction first, then the vertical one, so maybe it could be applied to menu also. I keep this in mine because it could be an interesting feature to have such responsive menu smile

I was bord so I thought I would make this. Here you go.

http://orig10.deviantart.net/a5c9/f/2016/272/e/c/tee_universes_by_android272-dajarm4.png

Source SVG's for Tee Universes can be downloaded from my deviantart here

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

That's wonderful, thank a lot. I will integrate it soon. The fire may change, but anyway, in the final version, I will use particle effect instead to animate it a little smile

https://s21.postimg.org/8km73b1ib/teeuniverses_mockup.png

Here is a mockup of what I've in mind for the start screen of tee universes. There is few points to know about it:

• As you see, I want to change the jungle background by a space background. It's to emphases the "universe" system. This background come from a cinematic of Rayman Legends, so it's not at all the final one. The final one should be a map with some animated parts, like moon/sun motion, some comets, ...

• When you start the game, you see a list of universes. These universes are kind of filter for the server list. TeeWorlds 0.6 list all DM, TDM, CTF games, but also simple mod like iCTF or gTDM. TeeWorlds 0.7 do the same, but of course with 0.7 servers. TeeUniverses servers that host those gametype will go there too, even if the cross compatibility 0.6/0.7 is enabled. DDNet and Infection are examples of possible other universes. It's obvious that DDNet need it because it not simple enough to fit TeeWorlds, but big enough to justify it's own universe. InfectionClass is less popular, but it will be a demonstration of the possibility of TeeUniverses (I will add more game types and new graphics). Other mods will go in the "DarkWorlds", the one in which we can't guaranty to noobs a coherent experience or that are not big enough to justify to create an universe. Of course, the list can grow (OpenFNG ?), and why not, be customizable.

• When you click on an universe, the server list appear

• The map editor disappear and is replaced by the assets editor

I need also some cool images for each category. I've not a precise idea for this, but maybe a planet for each, with the logo and one tee playing on it ? Of just something like the settings button ? android272, if you are interested, tell me, if not, I will try later something, but it's not a priority for me.

Please tell me your opinion about the presentation. Do you like this idea ? Do you think that some part must be moved/added/removed ?

In these animations can you create an object to crop or mask out another object? I have an idea on how you can make planets look as though they are rotating seen below. if you take an image of the earth double it, take a circle to mask the image with and then move the image of the earth you can create a nice effect. Just add a shadow layer and this would look great.

http://orig15.deviantart.net/ce6d/f/2016/273/b/e/earth_gif_by_android272-dajf26x.gif

If you could do this I could make some cool textures that you could make look like planets rotating.

I think label above the universes would read better if it said "Choose a universe to play in". I know that it technically should have an "an" before universe but it just does not sound right.

android272 wrote:

I think label above the universes would read better if it said "Choose a universe to play in". I know that it technically should have an "an" before universe but it just does not sound right.

Actually 'a universe' is correct.

See this for details:
http://english.stackexchange.com/a/155

Luck is allowed

HMH wrote:
android272 wrote:

Actually 'a universe' is correct.

See this for details:
http://english.stackexchange.com/a/155

Yah that is what I was saying. In the image he posted the label says "Choose an universe to play in" and I am suggesting that the label read "Choose a universe to play in".

@android272 and @HMH, thanks, I will take care of that. I'm not good in english, but I really want to avoid mistakes in the game. So don't hesitate to tell me if you found some other mistakes in the game.

@android272: there is so much reason to say no to your proposition big_smile

• This is a list of small images. Having a lot a rotating planets will be disturbing and less readable.

• I think that your option to simulation the rotation will be to far from the reality and therefore, it will be disturbing. But maybe it's because I'm highly sensitive to cartography tongue

• Technically, it's too far from what I've planned to implement. Once the lighting system is done, maybe I could be possible, but now, it's not the case. And it's just a menu.

• It will be hard to maintain if for each universe, you have to provide a custom complete map. A simple small image is better for this purpose.

necropotame wrote:

@android272 and @HMH, thanks, I will take care of that. I'm not good in english, but I really want to avoid mistakes in the game. So don't hesitate to tell me if you found some other mistakes in the game.

@android272: there is so much reason to say no to your proposition big_smile

• This is a list of small images. Having a lot a rotating planets will be disturbing and less readable.

• I think that your option to simulation the rotation will be to far from the reality and therefore, it will be disturbing. But maybe it's because I'm highly sensitive to cartography tongue

• Technically, it's too far from what I've planned to implement. Once the lighting system is done, maybe I could be possible, but now, it's not the case. And it's just a menu.

• It will be hard to maintain if for each universe, you have to provide a custom complete map. A simple small image is better for this purpose.

I guess I was imagining these spinning planets in the background not the menu system. Like if you were to stick around on this menu for a while and not select anything you would see some planets spinning off in the distance. A static image would look better for the menu items.

225 (edited by necropotame 2016-09-30 20:56:40)

Well, points 2 and 3 are still valid in this case. I think that a rotating planet around the axis perpendicular to the screen would be better and more coherent with a pure 2D style. I really think that your solution will be visually too flat for something that inherently should be a visual clue for 3D object (a rotation around an axis not perpendicular to the screen should create some 3D effects), in particular for a big object like a background planet.
If you really think that it looks great, try an animated mockup.