Topic: [help] serious lag problems

hello guys, i have been playing this game since 2007 or so, but while i've been lurking the forums, i decided to register just now beacause i have some serious problems.
the fact is, the game has become almost unplayable for me. since version 0.6 or so i started having lag problems. the most serious one is that my weapons fire when they decide to, not when i click fire. and this can be delayed even by half a second. hooking is very difficult and laser is a pain to aim.
my ping is in the 60's and stable enough, so i don't think it is a network issue, even beacause i'm no cable and not wifi.
my utmost concern is that this happens with all of my pc's, but the most serious issues i'm having are with my newest one. after years of coping up with such handicaps, today i got fed up and i hope you guys can give me some insights.
i have v-sync disabled
fps is 400-600 but sometimes it drops to 200
thanks to anybody who even reads this, i hope i find a solution or else i'm thinking about quitting my fav game sad

my hardware from speccy:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz    64 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
    8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
    SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. 700Z3A/700Z4A/700Z5A/700Z5B (CPU)    65 °C
Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    VX279 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics Family (Samsung)
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6750M (Samsung)
Storage
    232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G (SSD)    33 °C
    7GB SanDisk iSSD P4 8GB (SSD)
    931GB SAMSUNG HN-M101MBB (SATA)    32 °C
Optical Drives
    LUH PYZGTEZC SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
    M-Audio M-Track

Re: [help] serious lag problems

Do these issues occur in other games too?

Have you tried playing on a friends/schools/universitys network?

Have you tried another PC/networking card?

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

xush wrote:

Do these issues occur in other games too?

Have you tried playing on a friends/schools/universitys network?

Have you tried another PC/networking card?

yes, to all the questions. i tried using my pc on a different network,  a different pc on my network and a different pc on a different network, the results won't change. all my pc's have amd/ati graphics, i don't know, maybe that is the issue.
i warp, my weapons act like they are jammed. and i'm not talking about the kind of lag you experience when you have a bad network connection, beacause i have this happening in other games aswell and it's a normal thing.
the issue i have with tw is like a random input lag. sometimes it just won't fire, unless i hold the fire button for 1sec (!). this is painful when trying to move and aim.
i'm lost

spaghetti wrote:

(...) lag problems. the most serious one is that my weapons fire when they decide to, not when i click fire. and this can be delayed even by half a second. hooking is very difficult and laser is a pain to aim.
my ping is in the 60's and stable enough (...)

All those sound like you would have had prediction turned off, although I believe that this did also come to your mind if you play teeworlds for such a long time. Anyway, try "cl_predict 1" in f1, maybe it helps smile

Have you looked at the debug graphs? They can be enabled in-game with ctrl-shift-d and (then) ctrl-shift-g. They will show if fps and ping are stable.

thanks for the replies guys, your help is much appreciated. smile
cl_predict is on, i also tried turning it off and the relsult was beyond bad big_smile
i recorded myself playing with debug on and i saw that fps drops under 100 when 3 or more poeple are on screen or when i'm moving fast.

One more thing that comes to my mind is deleting the config file.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

This is strange. Could you try to play on a LAN server ?
Double click the "teeworlds_srv.exe" in your Teeworlds folder, and find the "unnamed server" in your "LAN" tab ingame.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

This is strange. Could you try to play on a LAN server ?
Double click the "teeworlds_srv.exe" in your Teeworlds folder, and find the "unnamed server" in your "LAN" tab ingame.

after a finer observation i can see that in ctf and dm the problem is significantly less present. i i could get a nonstandard gametype server working, i could try playing in lan to see if this happens with mods too

spaghetti wrote:

after a finer observation i can see that in ctf and dm the problem is significantly less present. i i could get a nonstandard gametype server working, i could try playing in lan to see if this happens with mods too

Tell us if you have any luck with that

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I don't understand why you would want 300 frames per second? Why not turn on v-sync?

But... what if we tried more power?

12 (edited by [pieLover] 2016-06-11 07:14:16)

some people have input lag with vsync, some have tearing without. I personally have tearing with vsync, though he should try toggling it

edit: above he said it occured in other games, maybe update gpu drivers?

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat

13 (edited by JonastheRoman 2016-06-12 13:34:13)

Updating drivers would likely be impossible on that machine, because it has a dual-GPU-setup for which the vendor most likely doesn't provide any new drivers.
You could try out these drivers though, but I can't guarantee for anything!
http://leshcatlabs.net/unifl-unified-leshcat-drivers/

On a side note: I have a very similar setup, but don't face lag problems in Teeworlds, so I think it's unlikely that this is caused by the drivers.
I have similar problems, abnormal stuttering, in some newer games though, which could be caused by my old drivers. But I doubt that's the case with Teeworlds.

Loving TW since 2010 smile

thanks for your help guys, i have tried all the solutions proposed, to no avail, tough.
it's a combination of gpu drivers issues and the extreme packet loss my internet is suffering. unfortunately neither of these issues can be solved, so im forced to adapt my playing style. it sucks, but it's better than nothing.
you can close this thread