1 (edited by 2gethR 2016-05-13 20:23:47)

Topic: [Solved] Another editor-/ server-/ client-related question.

Hey again.
I create maps.
I use the envelopes A LOT.
So it angers me a lot that certain clients reset the envelopes on the start of a run.

I believe it has something to do with the fact that the timer gets reset as soon as you cross the start or finish line.
But that doesn't explain why the DDNet, Sushi's and the default clients all do that, though Dune's Teeworlds Gamer Client doesn't have that issue.
The map is completely normal, I tried the synchronize feature but it doesn't change anything. The server is running on the DDrace modification.
As I said, only the Gamer Client doesn't have this problem, the quads move normally after crossing the lines.

Is there any way to fix this, or is this a DDNet bug?

Pardon if this belongs in Modifications.

Move along, nothing to see here, really.

Re: [Solved] Another editor-/ server-/ client-related question.

Weonix wrote:

As I said, only the Gamer Client doesn't have this problem, the quads move normally after crossing the lines.

Is there any way to fix this, or is this a DDNet bug?

So I guess it doesn't work with vanilla client either?

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

No, it doesn't. This is infuriating.

The problem is that the envelopes are based on the game timer, and the game timer is being used as the race timer for DDNet.

But how does Dune's client not have this issue then? And can we please get someone from the DDNet team on this to fix it?

6 (edited by Henningstone 2016-05-13 16:33:54)

A fix specially (and only) for DDNet gamemode would easily be possible, it takes a little bit of coding work though. I gonna implement it and then tell you if you want.

Why not just have another timer running since the game is launched? Then, you could also save it in the config like any other thing and got a timer how long ppl played (yeah, you can fake it but why?)

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

8 (edited by unsigned char* 2016-05-13 17:43:07)

Make it async... fixed! but envelopes in all clients are sync... you can break the standard and "fix" it.

Its important that you see the same that other players? In ddrace no.. because other player haver diferent time...

9 (edited by Henningstone 2016-05-13 17:45:45)

I agree, synchronized envelopes doesn't allow a client side timer like Schwertspitze suggested.

unsigned char* wrote:

(...) Its important that you see the same that other players? In ddrace no.. because other player haver diferent time...

Yes it is, otherwise it wouldn't have been introduced smile

Well, one could map something like a clock for example, or a day-night cycle according to gameplay changes (I know that's modded, but one could do that anyway tongue)

Henningstone wrote:

Yes it is, otherwise it wouldn't have been introduced smile

Yeah, is important if you play in team.. or for map design... but in "normal" mode.. other players not have the same time that you... :B

11 (edited by 2016-05-13 18:08:48)

The idea with the two timers was mine as well. Just have one for the current run and a global one for the server time.

unsigned char* wrote:

(...) Its important that you see the same that other players? In ddrace no.. because other player haver diferent time...

Yes, it is very important. Aoe has messaged me a while back having the same issue. On his Map Lockdown he tried to implement little lava drops that float along those tiny bullets that go up and down and freeze you (sorry, I'm not good with DDrace terminology, I don't know what they are called). If now for example you start a race, those bullets keep moving, but the animation resets, making them and the lava drops async.
There are dozens of reasons synchronized envelopes MUST be a thing.

This needs to get fixed ASAP.

unsigned char* wrote:
Henningstone wrote:

Yes it is, otherwise it wouldn't have been introduced :)

Yeah, is important if you play in team.. or for map design... but in "normal" mode.. other players not have the same time that you... :B

Sorry, but if you simply do not have a clue about the implications and impacts of this bug, what it means to mappers, then you aren't of much assistance, are you?

12 (edited by unsigned char* 2016-05-13 18:10:08)

Because the bullets aren't sync (with game time)... hmm

13 (edited by Henningstone 2016-05-13 18:13:50)

Well, I would have just saved the gametimer when the race starts. Then, while being in a race, add the current race time (the new gametimer) to the saved gametime when calculating envelopes. That would also need no serverside hacks etc...

Henningstone wrote:

Well, I would have just saved the gametimer when the race starts. Then, while being in a race, add the current race time (the new gametimer) to the saved gametime when calculating envelopes. That would also need no serverside hacks etc...

Yeah, but this cause "limitations" for map designers that like start the animations when the player start the race...

unsigned char* wrote:

Yeah, but this cause "limitations" for map designers that like start the animations when the player start the race...

I don't know anyone who needs this, but fair point.

I don't really care how you handle it, as long as the envelopes move normally as I go over the start line. I don't want the clouds that are there to just magically disappear to where they started. It's ugly and impractical.

Weonix wrote:
unsigned char* wrote:

I don't know anyone who needs this, but fair point.

I don't really care how you handle it, as long as the envelopes move normally as I go over the start line. I don't want the clouds that are there to just magically disappear to where they started. It's ugly and impractical.

You both are right... My idea would add limitations for envelopes that are meant to start with the race, but actually nobody who I know makes use of this xd

Handling it without limitations would obviously need a bit more work, but to be honest; a ticket in the DDNet github would be a better place for this discussion then.

I don't know how to find that, could you link me to it?

https://github.com/ddnet/ddnet/issues

But you need an account; if that is a problem I can do it for you smile

That would be amazing if you did that. Just be sure to get my point across. All I want is for the Envelopes to not get reset to zero every time you go over the race lines.

are you ok with this? https://github.com/ddnet/ddnet/issues/479

As long as the race timer stays at the top, this is basically an unfixable problem, because of interactions with the vanilla client.

DDNet wants to display the current race time in the top. This is only possible via game time. The vanilla client uses the game time to determine the current position of envelopes.

Well, it can't be fixed in the vanilla client, but to be honest, vanilla doesn't care about mods or did that approach change recently?

But fixing it in the DDNet client, which is supposed to be used for playing DDNet could of cause be done from what I can see (keeping vanilla compatibility of course)

Okay well nevermind.

Please excuse the immense inconvenience.
I am a massive dork.
Removing the X in the box for "Synchronized" envelopes does indeed fix the issue.

I'll stand in the corner and be ashamed of myself now.
Please close this topic.

If you do not want the server to send your current time to the client you could also try this: /timer none
This disables resetting animations, also synced ones.

Luck is allowed

Hey Weonix

I'm very surprised by this and I'm almost certain I have never implemented such a fix/feature. Since my client was based on 0.6.1, have you tried earlier vanilla versions of Teeworlds?
Another reason could be because it uses a different settings.cfg, so you may want to try to reset (well back it up) your settings.cfg.

Not Luck, Just Magic.