Topic: sv_gametype mod + dm/tdm/ctf ?

Hi,

I tweaked my server by using the sv_gametype "mod" parameter.
I changed many physics in a special cfg file, for the gameplay to be perfect.

The problem is here :
1. To change the physics, we use sv_gametype "mod".
2. To play something else than DeathMatch, we use sv_gametype "tdm" or "ctf".
3. Can't set sv_gametype to two states at same time !

So how can we play a CaptureTheFlag or TeamDeathMatch AND at same time changing the game physics ?
Are we doomed to use the original physics when playing to these modes ?

Thanks !

Re: sv_gametype mod + dm/tdm/ctf ?

I don't think its possible without changing the source and recompiling.

(just change the name of the CTF or TDM gametype and it will work...)

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

Romarain wrote:

So how can we play a CaptureTheFlag or TeamDeathMatch AND at same time changing the game physics

In short: you can't.
You have to *mod* the source for that.

Remember the 80s - good times smile

Oy wrote:

You have to *mod* the source for that.

What file do I need to MOD especially ? And how can I do that ?
I'm sorry but I feel disappointed to have waste my time tweaking the game, and not to be able to play with it.
I find totally idiot not to have separated "tweaking" and "defining [TDM/CTF]" in two different variables.

I there a reason to avoid playing TDM/CTF while tuning physics ?
Could it be added in the TO DO LIST for futur improvments ?

So the "MOD" gametype from the official Teeworlds only supports DM? I've never though about that, it's a bit strange indeed.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

6 (edited by unsigned char* 2015-11-07 17:41:56)

OOps!

Well I think the mod gametype was never intended to be used as a way to tune the server physics but rather to give modders a base to create their own gametype.

Luck is allowed

Romarain wrote:

I'm sorry but I feel disappointed to have waste my time tweaking the game, and not to be able to play with it.
I find totally idiot not to have separated "tweaking" and "defining [TDM/CTF]" in two different variables.

The tunings are mainly there for testing and developing.

Romarain wrote:

Could it be added in the TO DO LIST for futur improvments ?

The item on the todo list regarding tunings would be to remove them completely.

Dune wrote:

So the "MOD" gametype from the official Teeworlds only supports DM? I've never though about that, it's a bit strange indeed.

With the introduction of pure gametypes that "mod" gametype was added as an entry point where people should put their stuff.

Remember the 80s - good times smile

9 (edited by Romarain 2015-11-09 09:31:02)

Oy wrote:

The item on the todo list regarding tunings would be to remove them completely.

And what's the purpose for forcing people to play with the slow physics ?
Is there a real reason to remove a usefull option ?

Oy wrote:

The tunings are mainly there for testing and developing.

Ah, I understand. In fact, when you create something for a special purpose, you associate it in your head and can't dissociate it. It's like "sv_gametype is for changing the game mode" : you cannot dissociate "mod" and "tdm/ctf". Shit hmm

You have to understand that you have the power to dissociate things : if people find an option interesting, keep it and don't feel jealous because they explain you did a mistake by associating things where you should not have. It's a common thing in the dev world !

People will love your work if you make an effort ; they will abandon your game if you don't listen to them. I understand you're not here to satisfy everyone's will, but if you implement a thing, just don't wipe it because the definition of it was inflexible. By the way, I know you don't give a shit but I will abandon your game if I can't tune it no more or can't play tdm/ctf in decent way next weeks/months.

The gamemodes DM/TDM/CTF are reserved for Teeworlds servers and nothing else. This is so that people who download the game from the webpage get to see what Teeworlds is (and not random mod DFjsdf) before venturing out and discovering mods if they want to.

This clear distinction was something I implemented because we historically spent a lot of time answering and debugging issues that ended up being related to some random mod. This took away a lot of time and energy from development.

matricks wrote:

...because we historically spent a lot of time answering and debugging issues that ended up being related to some random mod. This took away a lot of time and energy from development.

1. What kind of issue ?
2. How can tuning variable can mess a server. It's difficult to imagine how we can "mess a server" just by changing the speed or gravity.
3. And if someone mess his server : a) he just has to take an old backup of cfg and this is good , b) You're not forced to answer everybody on the forum wink

I think it's possible to keep tuning + using mods. I would like to learn how to code/compile your game and do a fork, if you accept.

Romarain wrote:

I would like to learn how to code/compile your game and do a fork, if you accept.

You don't need a permission for that. Just go ahead and do it. tongue