Topic: Classic mode

Would it be possible to make a switch, a variable that someone could set when setting up a server to create a classic 1.0 server?  I have seen so many times that we can not do something because it would drastically change the game works.  Sometimes this is the right response and then other times it continue to stagnet this game.  Sometimes, not always but sometimes, I will see a developer speak up and say something to the effect of "if people want to play 1.0 then they can download it and play 1.0."

Why not feature freeze "classic mode" or "1.0 mode" and then continue development.  Those who want to play Teeworlds as it use to be can play on "classic servers" and those who want to play something new and different can play the next version of the game. Everything about TeeWorlds 1.0 should be put into a configuration file and if you make/play on a classic server that's the experience you will get.  Everything from physics, the guns, the ammo count, reload speed, fire rate, damage to hearts/shields, how many hearts/shields a heart or shield will give you. Everything that makes TeeWorlds 1.0 TeeWorlds 1.0.  Anything that is added from that point on should then be made so that classic mode still gets the same 1.0 experience.  This way development can actually continue, new and crazy ideas can be tried out. Possibly first in a mod, then merged into the main branch.

Take my gun idea for example.  You could take the guns as they are now and add them to the classic mode configuration. Then if someone wants to change the guns a bit or add new ones they can do this and still keep the 1.0 players happy.  Or take my chain idea. This would drastically change how the game is played.  If this idea were to be implemented you could have variables set for classic mode that would keep the chain stiff and go through objects.  This way 1.0 players can still enjoy the game they came to love in the past but still get new features such as custom skins, better UI, bug fixes, and code improvements.  Their experience could still get better without having the game play change on them.

I am not telling you that you NEED to impliment my ideas. But I do think that this game is getting stagnent and I have seen many people complain about the development of this game and the unwillingness to change.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

Re: Classic mode

Definitly not a bad idea! I feel some would prefer classic UI at the same time though, adding an option for that = muy bueno

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat

good idea, but we don't have a 1.0 version now. we are still pre-alpha and what you do mean is 0.6 and below.

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

One could also bring the changes under some other name, like eCTF, eDM, eTDM (e for evolved).
Or do it the other way around, change CTF, DM and TDM and keep the old modes under the names cCTF, cDM, cTDM (c for classic).
Maybe this would be easier.

Loving TW since 2010 smile

pielover88888 wrote:

Definitly not a bad idea! I feel some would prefer classic UI at the same time though, adding an option for that = muy bueno

Well this would be a server thing. The game would have all settings for old and new features.   The client would just go with what ever the server had set.  ie if in the server browser you select a classic game you would play with what ever rules exist today, if you were to leave that classic game and join a non classic game you would play with what ever new rules teeworlds comes up with in the future.  So the client would reflect what ever version you have installed.  0.7, 1.0, 1.5 how ever the UI is when these versions get released that is what you would see when you play.

Schwertspize wrote:

good idea, but we don't have a 1.0 version now. we are still pre-alpha and what you do mean is 0.6 and below.

Maybe I saw a developer say if you want to play 0.1 you can download that and play it... I believe you are right.

JonastheRoman wrote:

One could also bring the changes under some other name, like eCTF, eDM, eTDM (e for evolved).
Or do it the other way around, change CTF, DM and TDM and keep the old modes under the names cCTF, cDM, cTDM (c for classic).
Maybe this would be easier.

This could be the way you would know whether you are about to play classic or not.  I amagened the servers having the name [Classic] somewhere init but I guess that is up to the person who created the server to add that to their name.  I think cCTF, cDM, and cTDM would be nice, because some people may opt out of naming their server with [Classic].  This way if they have the classic mode set the game would know that any CTF, DM, or TDM should have the c prefix applied to it.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds