26 (edited by deen 2015-08-31 20:10:19)

Re: DDraceNetwork on Steam

pelya wrote:

I've tried to play DDRace server with the official DDRace Android client, for like 5 times already. So I reach that black ninja tile, and weapons don't work, moving doesn't work, rope doesn't work, I'm totally stuck, I cannot even suicide. How the hell can people enjoy DDrace? Are they know each level and all black tiles by heart ? Some levels have you literally surrounded with that, with only one small hole at the top.

The Android client is for spectating and chatting only. I guess I should write that somewhere. DDRace is unplayable without mouse and requires a lot of precision and patience. Also, I don't even have an Android device to test the client on, so I'm not investing major time in developing it. I only made it based on your Android version because people repeatedly asked me for it to spectate and chat.

People are working on tutorials. I know we don't have any so far. So far the idea is to start on easy Novice maps (1-3 stars) and go from there by talking to people.

27 (edited by Fifi 2015-09-04 04:42:56)

pelya wrote:

I've tried to play DDRace server with the official DDRace Android client, for like 5 times already. So I reach that black ninja tile, and weapons don't work, moving doesn't work, rope doesn't work, I'm totally stuck, I cannot even suicide. How the hell can people enjoy DDrace? Are they know each level and all black tiles by heart ? Some levels have you literally surrounded with that, with only one small hole at the top.

You can kill and restart if you fail (I usually bind [k] key to it, by opening F1 console and typing: "bind k kill") and you can also wait to be dragged out of the freeze by other tees. Some servers also have the "/r" command on (you can bind it using: bind r say "/r") - it moves you back to the last non-freezed position (if you use it again immediately, it also unfreezes you). DDNet have "/r" disabled on purpose, to encourage teamplay and helping each other - if you take a bigger team it's not really necessary. smile

Most maps typically begins with a solo part. If you don't know how to do it, remember that you can always pause and look at other players by typing "/pause" in chat (type it again to unpause).

But if you want to learn playing DDRace, you should start on some crowded DDNet Novice server, that way you will always be able to look how other tees do parts or ask for help. You can also call votes to change map or server type (but please, always check if people aren't already far in the map, before voting another). The best way to learn playing is to choose an easy Novice map (1 star of difficulty, can be checked via "/mapinfo" in chat or via the map list in votes). You can also click on maps, and explore them before voting, here: http://ddnet.tw/ranks/novice/. I highly recommend playing Just2Easy and Gold Mine, followed by Introduction, Water Lily, Multimap and Seasons later. No_Stuck is also an easy map, but it's a Solo one (player interactions are disabled). Seasons is actually a pretty good intro map, with tutorial-like tips, but it's quite long and the latter parts are harder and more faily (that's why I didn't put it first on the list). Nevertheless, if you don't care about finishing a map or not and only want to learn basics, the first half of this map might be a good start.

You can also ask on popular servers if somebody could help you in learning.

JonastheRoman, pelya: I can help you learn DDRace basics. Just message me in game* or on the DDNet Forum (http://forum.ddnet.tw/) - I check the inbox there more frequently than here. smile

* You can find me when I'm online, using the quick search field below the players list.

Thanks for the offer, Fifi! smile My problem isn't that I don't know the basics (played enough DDRace to know these), I'm just too clumsy and do mistakes again and again.
Looks like I just need much, much training to get this going. big_smile

Loving TW since 2010 smile