1 (edited by android272 2015-09-06 02:52:00)

Topic: Revamp Flag

TeesHoldingNewFlags

I Think It would be a really good idea to animate the flags. Currently there is not a lot of room in the game file so I purpose that they be taken out of the game file and put into their own files.

Flags

Four frames works pretty well for when the Tee is moving around/Wind is blowing and I think there should be two frames for when Tees are stopped and for when the wind picks up and drops.

I still have to modify what the flag looks like as it is falling. I don't quite like it yet.

FlagsAnimated

Animation speed could be determent by how fast the Tee is going to look even more realistic.

TeesWalkingWithFlag

While walking backwords the flag drops to the side of the Tee just like standing still.  One thing to note about the images above and below. Notice how when the Tee turns  the flag flips up for a second as if it was wiped around and then fell.  I lost my source for the first frame of the flag falling to the ground so thats why it does not look so good when it flips up.

backwordFlag

I noticed something the other day while playing CTF.  I was carrying the flag when someone killed me.  when I died the flag doped to the ground for someone to pick it back up.  As the flag is now it is a static image I was watching it fall and thought it would look really good if the flag swooped up as it fell and then again when it hit the ground. 

I still have to modify the flag as it flips up. I don't quite like how it looks just yet. If anyone can give me a suggestion on making this more teeish, it would be greatly appreciated.

Flag falling

please forgive my inability to animate this was done in GIMP and I did not want to animate the feet walking.

Source SVG's have been moved to my Deviant art profile.  When you open this link you should see a download button to the right of the image. It might be pushed down the page a bit.
Source File

________________________________________________________________________________
License: Creative Commons License - Attribution - Commercial use - Share Alike (CC BY 4.0)
TL;DR

CAN:                             CANNOT:            MUST:
Commercial Use          Sublicense         Give Credit
Distribute                                                  Include Copyright
Modify                                                       State Changes
Rename

Note: I don't care too much about giving me credit or that you state changes as much as this copy right must stay with what ever is copied or modified.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

Re: Revamp Flag

Not bad, not bad! (As in: Really nice!)
Also, I feel you making GIFs in Gimp. It's a lot of work yikes

Loving TW since 2010 smile

Really great idea! It will make some mods better.

Tried this out and the animation looks nice!

Have a look:
https://youtu.be/I0CH9P4yu3o

5 (edited by Zatline 2015-07-13 17:55:36)

I rly like this idea! yikes

Siile wrote:

Have a look:

Wow, that was really fast! yikes
And it looks really nice, too! It definitely feels a bit awkward at first, but maybe some other things will also change about the look and feel of Tees in 0.7 (like the thing with the feet and hands?).
I would advocate these changes!

JonastheRoman wrote:
Siile wrote:

Have a look:

Wow, that was really fast! yikes
And it looks really nice, too! It definitely feels a bit awkward at first, but maybe some other things will also change about the look and feel of Tees in 0.7 (like the thing with the feet and hands?).
I would advocate these changes!

big_smile

Download (win32, Goreworlds client)

Siile wrote:

Have a look:

holy crap this is amazing. It looks better then I imagined and you did it so fast.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

I don't like too much this sort of 3D effect on it, imo the flag should either be facing completely to the left or completely to the right. Or at least tune down the "wind". Other than that it looks pretty good.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

10 (edited by Zatline 2015-07-14 03:34:24)

Dune wrote:

I don't like too much this sort of 3D effect on it, imo the flag should either be facing completely to the left or completely to the right. Or at least tune down the "wind". Other than that it looks pretty good.

I think this makes the game look more intreasting somehow,
seeing the flags waving (influenced by the tee's speed) is very satisfying imo, love it! big_smile

I like it too!

It looks great! But honestly, it's either extremely windy or that tee has unsteady hands. Turn down the waviness a tad, and i think it will work out better.

A is for Apple.

Dune wrote:

Oblique. wrote:

It looks great! But honestly, it's either extremely windy or that tee has unsteady hands. Turn down the waviness a tad, and i think it will work out better.

Yah now that I look closer I think the flag is waving way to fast for the speed the Tee is going. It looks like the flag is moving faster than the Tee. which might be appropriate but I think that the flag should still be slower.

the other thing that is bothering me is that when the Tee moves back wards(oposit way the player is looking) the flag flips and this looks weird.  I think if the player is moving in the opposite direction than they are looking then the flag should not move but be in the down position. Update in a minute.

Well, can you give us transparent flags? This white background is unusable

I will be banned if I troll again ...

15 (edited by Siile 2015-07-14 11:18:04)

Deepfinder wrote:

Here's my hasty attempt to remove the white:
http://ninslash.com/img/flag.png

The colors might have changed a bit on the way.

I slowed the flag down a bit and yes, it looks better.

the other thing that is bothering me is that when the Tee moves back wards(oposit way the player is looking) the flag flips and this looks weird.

All for the sake of ADHD-aiming. tongue

The flag actually has no idea what the tee does. Everything you see going on with the flag (animation) is based on position - previous position.

Deepfinder wrote:

Eh? You can easily make the image transparent in plenty of ways, for example using GIMP.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

17 (edited by Deepfinder 2015-07-14 11:52:15)

Dune wrote:
Deepfinder wrote:

Eh? You can easily make the image transparent in plenty of ways, for example using GIMP.

... not. Just look Siile's Flags, the outline is ugly.
It would be easier to create transparent files instead of change existing files..

Yes, better redo the flags with using transparency from the start. The problem are the color gradients on the edges fading into white instead of transparency, which is hard to correct afterwards.

19 (edited by android272 2015-07-14 17:44:06)

I will post my svg source files later tonight. I have to recreate the second frame. It appears I did not save it.  I think they need to be cleaned up anyway.

Siile wrote:

All for the sake of ADHD-aiming. tongue

The flag actually has no idea what the tee does. Everything you see going on with the flag (animation) is based on position - previous position.

Would it be possible to change this so that it also knows where the Tee is looking?

This requires a Google account, you can upload it somewhere else?

Deepfinder wrote:

This requires a Google account, you can upload it somewhere else?

In fact, this file is not shared, thus not even accessible with a Google account.

Sorry I hate sharing things with google drive.  why would I want a link to this file if I did not want to give it to someone and  let them download it? you should be able to download it now. I logged out and went to the link to make sure my self.

I like the idea very much. Especially the animation in the vid looks very promising.
But it is true that the animation speed of the wind is far too fast, besides the shadows are not corresponding to the teestyle. The flag shadows are very curvy and so should the shadow of the other frames, too.
Besides, in the vid the feet are moving while flying ... I like this approach, too. Was this modification discussed to get official?

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Landil wrote:

I like the idea very much. Especially the animation in the vid looks very promising.
But it is true that the animation speed of the wind is far too fast, besides the shadows are not corresponding to the teestyle. The flag shadows are very curvy and so should the shadow of the other frames, too.
Besides, in the vid the feet are moving while flying ... I like this approach, too. Was this modification discussed to get official?

The vanilla client has no supportive structures for making client side physics / animations (that I'm aware of & that are easily accessible) so I had to settle to not so neat fixes. You'll see what I mean if you have a look at my items.h on github.

android272, if you want to test the modified animation, you can just download goreworlds and replace data\flag.png with a new one. Mind the formatting.