Topic: Client side ambiance sound

Just a nocturnal idea to improve the game feeling: ambiance sounds
how to do it without a shitload of sounds?
maybe this could serve as an inspiration http://wild-life.ambient-mixer.com/smooth-jungle-sounds

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Re: Client side ambiance sound

like http://forum.ddnet.tw/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=582  or is a different concept?

3 (edited by Oblique. 2015-07-06 04:22:45)

DDNet allows you to add sounds to your maps. This only works with ddnet client, of course. This could possibly be implented into the standard client, but the main problem is that map files can become too big. So I suppose it could work if you already have a shitload of sounds that can be set as external instead of embedded.

Edit: Oops, unsigned char* beat me to it

A is for Apple.

I would absolutely love that! I think it would be so much cooler! smile
Of course we could just provide sounds for the official map types (grasslands, desert, jungle, snow). I think being able to implement custom sounds into your maps would lead to abuse (and of course make the files much larger).
Then just add some more generic sounds (birds, Tees [living in the houses?], wind, bees, beep sound, water...) and there we go!

I think it would be good being able to differentiate between ambiance (cold wind, jungle sounds...) and random sounds (birds, Tees, beep sounds, water...).

In the mapmaker you could access another "sound" layer, where you can add your sounds as sub-layers and then specify whether they are ambient or random sounds. You can adjust the volume, and for random sounds you can also adjust the frequency. Then you just "paint" your sounds on the map like you do it with death or collision tiles, specifying where the sounds should be played. Each sound can be given a certain color for better differentiation. The sounds fade into each other when you are in between certain "sound areas", getting louder when you are nearer to the specific sound area.

Just and idea how to possibly implement this. smile I just saw that DDNet does it in a kind of similar way...

Loving TW since 2010 smile

JonastheRoman wrote:

I think being able to implement custom sounds into your maps would lead to abuse (and of course make the files much larger). Then just add some more generic sounds (birds, Tees [living in the houses?], wind, bees, beep sound, water...) and there we go!

This could be implimented in such a way that it could not be abused or have to download large files.  Tee woulds could come stocked with grasslands1, grasslands2, desert1, desert2, jungle1, jungle2, snow1, and snow2 and random sounds for each of these bioms.  Then when a cartographer makes a map they could select from these premade sounds.  Then when you play TeeWorlds the custom map would tell your client to play jungle2. If I don't like the sound of jungle2 then if I wanted to add my own custom jungle2 and TeeWorlds would play that track because it is still called jungle2.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

Yeah, that's what I thought it should work, too! It shouldn't be possible to embed custom sounds in the maps, just provide mapmakers with sounds for all the official map types.

JonastheRoman wrote:

Yeah, that's what I thought it should work, too! It shouldn't be possible to embed custom sounds in the maps, just provide mapmakers with sounds for all the official map types.

that's exactly what I want: keep it simple!

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

those wildlife sounds are making me aggressive after hearing it for half a minute ._.
But well it'd be a great idea to have some ambience sounds on the server browser

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

i love this idea

Landil wrote:
JonastheRoman wrote:

Nice! smile

jxsl13 wrote:

those wildlife sounds are making me aggressive after hearing it for half a minute ._.
But well it'd be a great idea to have some ambience sounds on the server browser

I think it should be possible to turn of ambiance sounds in the settings, e.g. for "pros" who get irritated by them in clan wars or for people who prefer the classic silence of Teeworlds. "Silence" interrupted by grenades and crying Tees, of course. smile

JonastheRoman wrote:
Landil wrote:
JonastheRoman wrote:

Nice! smile

jxsl13 wrote:

I think it should be possible to turn of ambiance sounds in the settings, e.g. for "pros" who get irritated by them in clan wars or for people who prefer the classic silence of Teeworlds. "Silence" interrupted by grenades and crying Tees, of course. smile

Indeed it would be best to have an "ambiance sounds" in the options. I hate when games give you only one option when it comes to sounds, on/off.  I like to make certain sounds louder than other sounds.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds