1 (edited by Puch 2015-07-04 00:04:48)

Topic: CTF tutorials [intermediate level]

I decided to put public my tutorials of ctf2 and ctf3. Because I think the vanilla community really needs to have new blood and the current players improvement about teamplay.
If you only started vanilla and playing ctf2 and ctf3, I highly recommend you to read the basic tutorial of Magnet here

In a first time my tutorials will give you a "defender view".

Why will I only speak about the def ?
1. Because it's more important to keep our flags safe during a game. Like that the attackers can focus them to att wink
2. "Hey man I'm an attacker idc about def". You're wrong ! If you understand how def works you will be able to help the def at good moment because YES only sometimes def needs help mad
3. It will permit your team to not loose flags easily in mid cause of a mistake of one guy. Because if everyone is at a good spot to wait the enemy flagger, you would have 3 guys who will have to fail. So it will decrease their luck to cap big_smile

SO keep in touch with this thread the next weeks ;D

For sure I'll make some attack tutorials, but remember that's only my view about how a game should go. Try to find your way of playing but yeah thinking is the best during a game. Even if you're not the best player you can do great things don't worry wink

Don't hesitate to share the pdf there is no problem with that. Like I said I hope it will help the vanilla community to play proper funwars smile

I finished to write the ctf2 tutorial big_smile

You can check it here

Tell me what you think, I'll correct faults later and upgrade it maybe.

Re: CTF tutorials [intermediate level]

Seems like a lot of work, it's a pitty you chose this painful color palette :(

Not Luck, Just Magic.

3 (edited by Kirbs 2015-07-06 19:31:51)

Re: CTF tutorials [intermediate level]

I do like how (from what I could actually understand, since your english isn't the best on earth) you didn't give heavy bias to the def. Getting the flag matters as much as protecting your own flag, because if you can't get the flag it's more likely that your own team will fail to protect the flag before the offense gets the flag. Or the game will just continue to go on for hours like it often does.

Meanwhile, if the other team has set up a really heavy power play (about to cap and the base is clean, one of the deffers can go attack while the flag capper stays there), then you NEED to go backwards and help to protect the flag. Plenty of other situations that things like this can happen.

Pretty good tutorial, but I don't think that your objective skill references are that great. The people that def don't have to be "pro" they just have to be good at defending the flag. They can be slow as they like, as long as there are other faster people that can set up basket shots (just got a flag and you and another are in a good position to get the respawned flag) and whatnot. The emphasis should be on teamplay, so.. Good job, I'm glad more tutorials are starting to be made.

EDIT: I forgot to say that even if some players don't really have the reflexes or timing to use brute force to win, good teamplay can allow any team to be really skilled. (Which you did kind of skim over that idea, so thats good)

no