Re: Are leagues "community business"?

I also must say that one part of the "spirit" of Teeworlds for me is it's open style (dunno how to call it), like invee01 already mentioned. I think it just is a fundamental part of Teeworlds that you can just download it, name yourself (or not) and join a server. So I would also advocate the optionality of the account system.
As I see in other games with accounts and stats, there's always a certain pressure connected to it. "Oh no, I've lost so many times in a row, and that with the grenade launcher! I have to do some kills now with that weapon to avoid ruining my stats..." You know, that kind of things.
Of course many people would like such stats nevertheless. More professional players might have a different attitude to this, and I see their points and respect that.
I also like the (pretty old) idea with the visible skill levels of the servers in the list, which could be made possible with the account system (although it doesn't necessarily require it).

So the account system has also many benefits and it could be wrong to just stay with the old and known things and don't try out something new. Stagnation might ruin a project.

I also thought about a seperation into the old "legacy" and an new account-based client, but that would be the wrong step to take, I think. Might as well put the optional account system in the client. Although it could make the whole account system more relevant, because it would not be optional in that seperated area. But it could split the community and would increase the amount of work, so no.

@the language support topic: Even if it was a lot of work, I can assure you that it wasn't useless and greatly enhanced the overall quality of the client for many players, imo.

Just my two cents. wink

Loving TW since 2010 smile

52 (edited by Kirbs 2015-02-17 18:53:45)

OPINION: Well... About the whole "achievements" thing, I actually think that that would be a good idea, if:

- The badges did nothing besides look pretty

- The badges did nothing besides signify that you have done this cool thing and that cool thing

- Nobody but you could see your badges.

Take Quake 3 for example.

I went versus a Nightmare skilled bot, and got above X% accuracy.

I get a little purple emblem on a certain screen.

Also, I hit with two laser (railgun) shots in a row 5 times.

So I get 5 little blue (was that the color?) emblems under my name as well. Just for looks, nothing special. Personally, I reallly liked this and it's one of the things that made me like Q3 and OA so much. I think it follows the simplicity rules quite well.

So for an example in TW itself...

I killed a tee while I only had 1 health left. I would get some type of emblem under my name in "Player" tab.

I killed someone with a hammer 2 times in a row without them being able to get any armor. (Humiliation, I would guess would be the name of that.)

And something with the laser accuracy, such as if you hit a tee with X number of shots, compared to X number of shots shot. So.. accuracy. This I find very encouraging. I should probably have put this on the suggestions page, and not here, but oh well. I'll put something different on that page tongue

Plus, this wouldn't require an identification system at all. wink

no

invee01 wrote:

The account system should be strictly optional. I want to be able to open the teeworlds client anywhere and only worry about typing in my alias and connecting with the game server.

Yeah, it will be strictly optional.

invee01 wrote:

Tbh what turns me off about the account concept most is being easily identifiable (for personal purposes), which is why I'd turn to other methods to keep my anonymity. This is especially true if the IP-tracking for flag purposes is ever implemented.
In fact, the flag-by-IP would be less effective than manual flag selection for honest purposes, as those using proxies could have the wrong flag. (Eg. someone who is american and wants to be recognized as one being forced to have some european flag appear, causing confusion and forcing them to either let the confusion continue or deal with explaining the situation to everyone)

The flag selection will stay the way it's now - there won't be an ip-tracking.

Remember the 80s - good times smile

I really think that everything said so far will make TeeWorlds much better.  So l Like pictures and while reading this I made these.

Registration
Register

So I was wondering why does the TAMS have to be centralized or decentralized? Why can't it be both? I know that sounds weird so I will try to explain.

So I think TeeWorlds should have an official server.  I actually had no idea that there were other TeeWorld servers till like yesterday.  I always just downloaded it from the website and played.  So I think it is important that there be a central server where accounts be stored.

Then when someone makes their own TeeWorlds server they can decide whether or not they want to connect to the devs server or any other server.  Connecting your server with other server would give that server access to all accounts.  They would also choose whether to share their users with the central dev server.

Scenario 1
So someone makes a server and connects it to the dev server. Anyone who has made an account on the dev server would be able to log into this new server. Any new account made on this server would be shared with the central dev server.

Scenario 2
Server admin decides not to share accounts. anyone who has made an account on the dev server would be able to log into this new server. Any new account made on this server would not be send to the central dev server.

Scenario 3
Server admin decides not to connect to any server.  all players(who wants an account) would have to make a new account regardless of whether they have made an account on any other server.

Whether or not the server admin wants to save new/old accounts from other servers on their server would be up to them.

This way if the dev server goes down and never comes back everyones accounts would be saved.

Server

I know this system has to be riddled with security holes but I think it could be done right... maybe?

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds