Topic: Newbie Questions

Hey there

I found out about this game just recently and it's a lot of fun.
There are some things I can't quite figure out though, so it's question time:

1. How does the hitbox of the hammer work?
I usually just rush in and spam click and hope for a hit to connect. Sometimes the hits connect, sometimes they don't.
How far out does the hitbox go? Does it follow the mouse? Can I hit upwards and downwards? Is there a delay for it to pop up? Do I have to "aim" ahead of my target to compensate for lag?

2. Is there any way to get more stats?
I don't necessarily need K/D, but just score doesn't really tell me how well I'm doing. Does a mod for that exist?

3. What does it look like to another player when I have a lag spike?

4. How does lag compensation in general work in this game?
I often get the impression that when I'm moving fast bullets appear behind me as I shoot. It feels pretty strange to me.

5. What is the best way to do the settings?
Dynamic Camera on or off? Do you keep the weapon switching on the number keys?

6. Is there no way to drop the flag in CTF (other than suicide)?

7. Is it a good strategy to use suicide if you are at your base and at very low health in CTF?
The respawn time is pretty short, so it seems like it might be viable.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Newbie Questions

Rioter wrote:

1. How does the hitbox of the hammer work?
I usually just rush in and spam click and hope for a hit to connect. Sometimes the hits connect, sometimes they don't.
How far out does the hitbox go? Does it follow the mouse? Can I hit upwards and downwards? Is there a delay for it to pop up? Do I have to "aim" ahead of my target to compensate for lag?

The farthest you can reach with your hammer is when the other tee is one tee size away. The mouse only determines the direction. You always hit upwards. There is no delay for it to pop up. You have to aim ahead of your targets.

Note that the hammer delay is longer when you actually hit someone.

Rioter wrote:

2. Is there any way to get more stats?
I don't necessarily need K/D, but just score doesn't really tell me how well I'm doing. Does a mod for that exist?

Check out SushiTee's client pack.

Rioter wrote:

3. What does it look like to another player when I have a lag spike?

It simply looks like you'd keep moving in one direction.

Rioter wrote:

4. How does lag compensation in general work in this game?
I often get the impression that when I'm moving fast bullets appear behind me as I shoot. It feels pretty strange to me.

Nothing except for yourself is compensated for lag, so only your tee is in 'the right position', the other stuff is a little off.

Rioter wrote:

5. What is the best way to do the settings?
Dynamic Camera on or off? Do you keep the weapon switching on the number keys?

That's a matter of preference I guess. I use dynamic camera, and switch weapons using the number keys.

Rioter wrote:

6. Is there no way to drop the flag in CTF (other than suicide)?

No. Note that you can kill yourself without going into death tiles.

Rioter wrote:

7. Is it a good strategy to use suicide if you are at your base and at very low health in CTF?
The respawn time is pretty short, so it seems like it might be viable.

I believe collecting health is faster and safer.

7. Definitely but only with grenade launcher suicide which has no delay.

4 (edited by Broken 2014-01-17 23:22:20)

How far out does the hitbox go?  about 1 tee. PM me for a way to see the hammer's exact hitbox.
Does it follow the mouse? yes
Can I hit upwards and downwards? yes
Is there a delay for it to pop up? it depends, tw has a forced "reload" delay if you fire
Do I have to "aim" ahead of my target to compensate for lag? always

Is there any way to get more stats? check out some custom clients that do this

What does it look like to another player when I have a lag spike? usually you sit still or go off in a stupid direction

How does lag compensation in general work in this game? check out pressing shift+control D and also  antiping by custom clients to get an idea

Dynamic Camera on or off?  off for vanilla, on for insta (debatable)

Do you keep the weapon switching on the number keys? most pros use qwe, asd keys

Is there no way to drop the flag in CTF (other than suicide)? no

Is it a good strategy to use suicide if you are at your base and at very low health in CTF? For self-blast there is instant respawn, but for using the kill key a forced delay.

5 (edited by 2014-02-02 15:55:45)

Thanks!
This is very helpful on my journey to not suck.

So, over my short time playing I saw some pretty strange behaviours.

Often there are people that seem to randomly flick around the direction of their weapon. Usually they play pretty well.

Then I once saw a guy who was flicking around ridiculously fast, faster than it is possible even if you randomly jerk around your mouse. He didn't play especially well.

And one time I saw a guy who was constantly spamming hammer attacks at max speed 24/7. I presume he used some software to achieve that.

Why/How do they do this? Are they cheating?

This flicking is called spinning. It is mostly done by legitimate players for various reasons but mostly becomes an habit. However some idiots released clients that automate it. These are called spinbot and are totally useless. It's pretty easy to differentiate real spinners from spinbots by looking at the rotation speed, regularity, direction and in general the player level/how the spinning fits with his playstyle.

About the hammer I don't find it very common but it can be someone clicking repeatedly or using the mouse wheel to fire the same way some players go around while constantly switching weapons. The reason is most likely for the lolz and it's not necessarily done with a cheat.

Okay, thanks.