26 (edited by Landil 2013-08-20 01:18:27)

Re: [Discussion] Slopes - YemDX and Landil thread

this is a 2 min mockup, a concept to show you that slopes can be used in a way which is not possible at present! This is not supposed to be a _real_ map :head shaking:

I do have to repeat again: map makers will have to figure out how to use it. we are in the CONCEPT PHASE (a concept is an alpha version and this one maybe even pre-alpha). Neither the slope physics nor the way it will work have been DETERMINED YET

tu sum it up: CONCEPT PHASE - NOT DETERMINED YET

It's people like you who kill my fun of experimenting and developing teeworlds. Without giving new features a chance we would not have lots of fun features. But maybe the best way is to relase the final version of teeworlds (teeworlds 1.0.4ever)

But as I am fascinated by your imagination skills to find out how everything will be before even knowing how the slopes game mechanics work, I submit an exceptional offer: tell me two or three unique, game play enhancing, fast paced and cute concepts to improve game play (e.g. for the teeworlds 1.0.5 project), with the sole constraint that far more people will be attracted by and stick to vanilla teeworlds instead of playing mods. Then at least some lost newbies might join the lonely pro-wolves club to join in their howlings of the pitiful song of supremacy and prevent their extermination.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

SALAD wrote:

Landil, you guys need to release a demo to the public so that we can help you decide upon the verdict. I can't come to any conclusions without testing it out myself.

We've already been thinking about releasing a test client and srv. But as I have said we're continously reworking it and at present we do have the third implementation of game physics. And still we need to figure out fix performance issues. In the current state it is not playable and it still has lots of bugs.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

28 (edited by yemDX 2013-08-20 06:55:34)

I'm interested by your terms, because these aren't the terms I had laid out for you. However, I will bite. Seeing as how your opinion seems to be "if you can't come up with anything better, you shouldn't complain! why don't YOU come up with something better?!" like some sort of 3rd grader, I've come up with suggestions that fit the want of a third-grader and also meet your criteria.

Also, people who play plenty of video games and are good at games can determine how something will play even without seeing video. I've also played Teeworlds for around 5 years almost daily. I can easily tell what something will feel like. Now, on to what you requested. However, I can't fulfill the request of keeping people to vanilla gametypes, as anything that can be used in vanilla, can be used in mods.

1. Bouncy pads.
Like tiles that you bounce off of. Very self-explanatory. Meets all of the requirements pretty obviously. Unique, gameplay enhancing (allows for super sick bouncy house 1v1s), could allow for awesome maneuvering and tricks, and of course is very cute. Everyone can have fun with bouncy pads too. They don't require any skill at all to use, however, to utilize to their full potential, there's plenty of skill!

2. Hook bouncy pads
These are similar to regular bouncy pads, except they bounce your hook like a mirror would a laser. Would make for some VERY interesting maps. Fast paced as well, given how fast the hook moves. Would be similar to laser wallshots. They would enhance gameplay pretty obviously by allowing for neat tricks and working like unhookables, but much more funnier. Can allow for sick map designs. Will provide pics if requested.

3. Anti-gravity sections / tiles
Tiles that change the gravity to where the ceiling is the ground and vice versa. It's pretty cute, to me, seeing Tees fly around. Add both fun for everyone and would take some extra skill to maneuver through. Combining regular gravity + anti-gravity could make for very fun gameplay for all skill levels and allow for awesome protricks.

Please note that just because these fit the criteria and I've said them does not mean that I would want them in the game. Was just giving examples that fit your criteria. These are all much more interesting and funny than, say, slopes.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

landil all i gotta say is pls dont let the minority of people like yem discourage you lots of people appreciate your works

yemDX wrote:

I'm interested by your terms, because these aren't the terms I had laid out for you. However, I will bite. Seeing as how your opinion seems to be "if you can't come up with anything better, you shouldn't complain! why don't YOU come up with something better?!" like some sort of 3rd grader, I've come up with suggestions that fit the want of a third-grader and also meet your criteria.

:rolling eyes:
If I cannot come up with anything better? L O L. I mean I am experimenting and testing, but you are declining the outcome before you have played it. Just because you dislike the concept. That's narrow minded and not at all adult behaviour.

Also, people who play plenty of video games and are good at games can determine how something will play even without seeing video. I've also played Teeworlds for around 5 years almost daily. I can easily tell what something will feel like. Now, on to what you requested.

I highly doubt this, but we will use these magical powers.

1. Bouncy pads.
Like tiles that you bounce off of. Very self-explanatory. Meets all of the requirements pretty obviously. Unique, gameplay enhancing (allows for super sick bouncy house 1v1s), could allow for awesome maneuvering and tricks, and of course is very cute. Everyone can have fun with bouncy pads too. They don't require any skill at all to use, however, to utilize to their full potential, there's plenty of skill!

that's a very old suggestion. severeal graphic concepts are already done, but it lacks a coder who likes to spend lots of time to make this feel teeish. We have the ddrace-accelerators, but noone uses them for vanilla games. If I criticize it in the way you do, I'd have to say: I know this sucks, because I know how this will feel like and we've even seen the ddrace concept which shows us that it is total bullshit.
But instead I say, let's find a coder who codes a concept which easily allows to tune the parameters to make it feel teeish.

2. Hook bouncy pads
These are similar to regular bouncy pads, except they bounce your hook like a mirror would a laser. Would make for some VERY interesting maps. Fast paced as well, given how fast the hook moves. Would be similar to laser wallshots. They would enhance gameplay pretty obviously by allowing for neat tricks and working like unhookables, but much more funnier. Can allow for sick map designs. Will provide pics if requested.

This is not easy at all, it's just hard to master It makes movement more complex and you need time to find out good spots to shoot and hook at. Which are the benefits for standard non-high-lvl players?

3. Anti-gravity sections / tiles
Tiles that change the gravity to where the ceiling is the ground and vice versa. It's pretty cute, to me, seeing Tees fly around. Add both fun for everyone and would take some extra skill to maneuver through. Combining regular gravity + anti-gravity could make for very fun gameplay for all skill levels and allow for awesome protricks.

Please note that just because these fit the criteria and I've said them does not mean that I would want them in the game. Was just giving examples that fit your criteria. These are all much more interesting and funny than, say, slopes.

I've already thinking about an anti-gravity suit power-up which reverses the gravity. It's pretty much the same. We should give it a try. That's the work of a coder, too. So let's find one and test it.

Dare I say, a feature from LieroX? What's next, a destructible terrain? Please, don't do destructible terrain.

About that little discussion at the start of the topic, I think it's really obvious that if you stand still on a slope and jump, you jump straight up | and if you are moving you jump in the way you are moving /. Otherwise I can't imagine somebody getting up a big slope without it all looking awkward and faily.

Visit our clan: =Eagle= !

CuBe wrote:

About that little discussion at the start of the topic, I think it's really obvious that if you stand still on a slope and jump, you jump straight up | and if you are moving you jump in the way you are moving /. Otherwise I can't imagine somebody getting up a big slope without it all looking awkward and faily.

+1

can we cat that function back btw? plz smile

->My 24/7 servers: [NOR] Norwegian HUB <- Back Online !! big_smile
( My grammar is getting better ! smile I think.. )
-Norway

Yes I agree, because when you jump like this / when you're standing still, means you can't even get streight up normally without moving to the left again to go streight up.
Im terribly sorry for my english, but I just think that jumping like / is realy not a good idea.

mushoku-no

35 (edited by Ioannisjanni 2013-09-29 22:47:50)

Matodor wrote:

Oh, cool. Dreams come true.
There are still three: support for Steam, API for mods and accounts.
And it will be the perfect game.

+1

And about the whole YemDX Vs. Landil thing , Tbh i think YemDX has some really good points. Skilled players are getting bored (i left tw for 4 months out of desperation.. it was just too boring) and the slopes could REALLY give some great potential for skilled players. though yemDX has created the wrong feeling towards the admins tongue he ,(just as i do) , wants to make this game as good as can be.His intentions are for the greater good of Teeworlds. And about:

Landil wrote:
yemDX wrote:

Also, people who play plenty of video games and are good at games can determine how something will play even without seeing video. I've also played Teeworlds for around 5 years almost daily. I can easily tell what something will feel like.

I highly doubt this, but we will use these magical powers.

I agree with yemDX. I (up untill a few days) didn't play tw for over 4 months; Just now when i restarted , i could instantly realise what to do , when to do it and why to do it.

and before i leave, i have a little message to Landil : You want new people to join and enjoy the game , i understand. But you ALSO want skilled people to KEEP playing the game; this is also the reason alot of people have changed to DDrace and Race; because new maps come out all the time , and they involve humungous amount of skill. Make the vanilla expirience innovative and creative again , or the DDRace and Race developers will beat you in making those points.

Just my opinion , i'll make sure to read yours too.

This has been Ioannisjanni / Mr.Pinky

Peace

Teeworlds!!!!

Really nice idea, I know there was no possibility to try it out recently but what about now? Are there sources we can get and compile? Or maybe a test server running? That would be cool to make an opinion and give some feedback.
Thanks.

Need a tool to manage your servers? teeman
<3

37 (edited by 2013-10-14 22:58:04)

floyd wrote:

Really nice idea, I know there was no possibility to try it out recently but what about now? Are there sources we can get and compile? Or maybe a test server running? That would be cool to make an opinion and give some feedback.
Thanks.

Magnet has not tested it thoroughly, yet. When done we will discuss releasing a test client + server. smile

edit1:As we do not want Captain Offtopic to conquer this thread, I deleted the discussion.

edit2:The next one who posts offtopic earns a free ban! >(