Topic: My First Thoughts

I'm quite a big fan of 2D shooters, like this, and I am just sharing my first thoughts and opinions of the game.

As I first loaded up the game, I hear this wonderful sound gracing my ears. Fricking amazing job on the music! I can go through all the settings and customize the game how I like, which is absolutely amazing IMO.

In my first game, I notice the lag issue occurring. I know it's not the games fault for the lag, at least mostly, but when it does lag, the client lags rather than the server. 1/3 times, I will just have 0 fps for half a second and realise I have just ran off the side of the map to my death. Bit annoying.

The guns are amazing, I just find weapon 5 (the blue laser) a bit UP for the rarity of the weapon, but I think that all goes down to the map.

If I were to add or change some shizz to/about the game, you know what I'd do?

*I'd make the rope / chain longer. It's so annoying having it so short, hard to get used to  after playing other games with the ropes  being so long.
*I'd add kill and deaths (and maybe captures as well a K/D) to the scoreboard. Bit annoying only being able to judge how good a player is (or you are) by a score which is different between servers I have found.
*Make that hammer stronger. Some servers, which have few gun pickups, require you to fire (spam) your pistol, so you end out switching to the hammer. But once you get close enough to kill someone, they just kill you in a couple of shots with the pistol.

Well, I guess that's my critic of the game, but I ain't no proper critic, I just thought I'd say what I'd like to see in this game. Very much love this game!

BTW: I saw some guy ninjaing around, but in the controls there was no 'ninja' or whatever button. Is this a cheat or a P2W type of shit the developers have added?

I am a tiger. And yet I am blue. Rawr ?

Re: My First Thoughts

To the first issue: it's very easy to tune in a server, most of us experienced how horrible it is. You'll see it's fine like it is when you'll get a bit skilled at it.

To the second issue: it's not Teeworlds related, it's either the servers or your connection.

The score computation is the same on all the servers, and should be a good indication. Some clients feature K/D stats.

To the next point, hammer is very strong, once again, when you get used and skilled at it. It's a default weapon so it doesn't have to be preferred over other weapons like shotgun.

About the ninja: it's a weapon which spawns every 90 seconds, no hack or anything. You just click to move with it. Some servers have it disabled, and some maps don't provide any ninja spawns, so you'll have to look for them ;)

Not Luck, Just Magic.

3 (edited by Broken 2013-05-02 23:48:38)

Serious players usually don't use ninja, it's a bit OP.

Laser is actually more powerful when you get skilled, as the range is very long and it hits instantly.

Hammer is weak, even with skilled players. but still useful. It's fits into the gameplay ok as a high skilled weapon, but for new players is far weaker. I think it would be more balanced with a higher range and less hit points, but everyone is used to it already.

The hook length is just right, but as dune said you can tune the length and pulling strength, etc.

Get Sushi Teeworlds pack if you'd like k/d stats. It's very nice.

For FPS issues, there's some things you can do. Close any demanding processes, turn vsync off for older PCs, lower the game resolution, use a game layer client, things like that. Also make sure your graphics driver is up-to-date.

Broken wrote:

No, they don't use ninja because it's useless and is just a nuisance. It's actually UP as fuck.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

yemDX wrote:
Broken wrote:

No, they don't use ninja because it's useless and is just a nuisance. It's actually UP as fuck.

Yes it is UP if you're not on a 16 players dm1 server ^^

Like Dune said, you'll see that the game is well balanced if you become more skilled at some weapons

Ich wrote:
yemDX wrote:
Broken wrote:

Yes it is UP if you're not on a 16 players dm1 server ^^

Like Dune said, you'll see that the game is well balanced if you become more skilled at some weapons

... huh? Do you agree with me or not? Because of course ninja is underpowered if you're not on a 16 player dm1 server, a 16 player dm1 server is the only type of server where it'd be useful.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

@Ich, do not disagree with the "Official Number One Teeworlds Player".
He's always right.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

@HeroAmarelo: we got it, stop a bit with that.

Ninja used to be considered as slow, underpowered, and a disadvantage against players with full weapon gear. Although, since 0.6, it does no longer slow down (no speed reset), so it might actually be good. Haven't seen much people use it, so can't tell.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

To the second issue: it's not Teeworlds related, it's either the servers or your connection.

The lag is not Teeworlds related, yes. The way Teeworlds deals with said lag is, of course, Teeworlds related.

A lot of games, you just move around as if there were no lag at all, except everyone else will be glitched in the same position. Then once the lag spike reduces, everyone else will 'teleport' into the positions they were in beforehand, and everything will continue as normal.

In Teeworlds, when there is a lag spike, you will reduce FPS to 0, for 0.5-3 seconds. The server will take the last key you  had held, and continue with that until the lag spike reduces. For example, if I were to hold D, I would continue right for n seconds and then when the lag spike reduces, I will be walking off the side of the map, to my death.

I believe the reason for this is because in a lot of the games (I play), the server feeds you the information for you to run what's going on, and send what you do back to the server which gives the same to the other players. Whilst in Teeworlds, you feed the server the information, and it runs it all. So, in a lag spike, instead of you just being like 'lag!', you will continue in given direction, due to the fact the key is still being held down in the server's point of view.

I'm not very good with this stuff, but I've tiny a teeniest tiniest bit of coding with Python, and am just assuming other coding systems are similar or the same when it comes to key_up / key_down.

If there is a small fix to this, if the server is getting no connection from a player, instead of it continuing in the last given command, it should just stop all commands. I'd much rather be a sitting duck standing there, than have 90% death chance, by walking off the edge of the map. Especially when it's really close in CTF, which just occured (It was a very close game, and then some lag occurs and I walked off the edge of the map with the flag, and they scored)

P.S. Thanks for all the replies! I am slowly getting more familiar with the game and the rope length is getting to be okay and usable.

I am a tiger. And yet I am blue. Rawr ?

10 (edited by yemDX 2013-05-05 18:45:53)

Dune wrote:

@HeroAmarelo: we got it, stop a bit with that.

Ninja used to be considered as slow, underpowered, and a disadvantage against players with full weapon gear. Although, since 0.6, it does no longer slow down (no speed reset), so it might actually be good. Haven't seen much people use it, so can't tell.

No. The speed being kept makes no difference. In actual combat it's even worse, so even vs. a player with full weapon gear, the most you can do is run away now, and even then a skilled player could easily keep up with you and take you out. The ONLY use for ninja, literally the one use, is to go around a collect pickups without fear of being killed. This is for all types of gameplay: TDM, DM, and CTF. The ninja will never be useful in anything above low-level Teeworlds gameplay no matter what you do with it and it's time people accepted it, moved on, and tried to make another powerup.

EDIT: I have compiled a list of official maps where the speed boost on ninja is clearly useless because of the map's design making it impossible to keep speed for more than 3 seconds. Please confirm any other maps that I may not be aware of.

ctf1
ctf2
ctf3
ctf4
dm1
dm2

Ex-King of Teeworlds