1 (edited by Maimer 2013-01-29 17:40:31)

Topic: [MAP] ctf_maims

Gametype: CTF

This is my first map and I was mostly learning the editor while I made it.  I am looking for some general feedback on the size, layout, weapons placement, etc.  The size of the map is roughly the same size as the map ctf5.  I had a bigger game size in mind when I made the map, as in 5v5 or larger.  I think that while it is important to have long straight pathways in maps, that it also requires breaking that pattern up to encourage a wider range of movement.  I tried to strike a balance between having those pathways and creating interesting obstacles.  Please let me know any thoughts you have and I will either update this map or use the feedback in future maps that I make.

Screenshot:
(I toggled the visibility of the background images as well as expanded the background quad in order to give a cleaner screenshot for analysis.)

http://i.imgur.com/SBeUCSn.jpg

Download Link: ctf_maims.map

Re: [MAP] ctf_maims

It seems you've placed everything on High Detail. High Detail is for stuff that's extra and not really essential to gameplay; you've played the ground on High Detail, so now with people with High Detail off can't see the ground. smile

Ex-King of Teeworlds

yemDX wrote:

It seems you've placed everything on High Detail. High Detail is for stuff that's extra and not really essential to gameplay; you've played the ground on High Detail, so now with people with High Detail off can't see the ground. smile

Thanks for pointing that out.  As I said, I am in the process of learning the editor and I guess I must have had the wrong idea for what that function did.  I will update the map next chance I get (currently on a different computer).  Is there any documentation as to what all the functions in the editor do?  I have noticed various links on the forums to what seems to be a now defunct wiki.

I liked your map. One thing you should consider is putting ceiling spikes as well as the spikes below, because teams can "hammerfly" with the flag out of sight, or blast up with grenades.

The map is very big with 4 levels. you might think of trimming it a bit. But I liked the movement on it and the flag placement. Great for your first map.

Broken wrote:

I liked your map. One thing you should consider is putting ceiling spikes as well as the spikes below, because teams can "hammerfly" with the flag out of sight, or blast up with grenades.

The map is very big with 4 levels. you might think of trimming it a bit. But I liked the movement on it and the flag placement. Great for your first map.

I am not sure what you are describing with the term "hammerfly."  I haven't really seen any maps with ceiling spikes, so I am not sure how exactly it would work and what exactly it would be preventing.  I have originally wanted the map to only be 3 levels, and you can see that there are only 3 routes originating from the flag area.  It only splits into 4 routes when it gets into the center of the map.  I suppose that could be consolidated down to 3 routes all the way across, but maybe I will just start a newer and maybe smaller map.  I am trying to get a feel for what a generally good size for a 5v5 map would be.

Also, I updated the download link to a version of the map where the high/low detail issue has been fixed for the various layers.

Maimer wrote:

I am not sure what you are describing with the term "hammerfly."  I haven't really seen any maps with ceiling spikes, so I am not sure how exactly it would work and what exactly it would be preventing.

Just this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5CNmLENoiQ

You could also just use invisible death tiles or something.

Broken wrote:
Maimer wrote:

I am not sure what you are describing with the term "hammerfly."  I haven't really seen any maps with ceiling spikes, so I am not sure how exactly it would work and what exactly it would be preventing.

Just this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5CNmLENoiQ

You could also just use invisible death tiles or something.

Correct me if I am wrong, but since the tiles are touching the outside of the map don't they continue forever?  I see what you are saying that you could hammerfly up into those areas, but I don't think you could every get to the top.  Like I said before, I am just learning the editor, but I was under the impression that whatever tile you used on the edge of the map would continue forever.

Maimer wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but since the tiles are touching the outside of the map don't they continue forever?  I see what you are saying that you could hammerfly up into those areas, but I don't think you could every get to the top.  Like I said before, I am just learning the editor, but I was under the impression that whatever tile you used on the edge of the map would continue forever.

It does not. The map ends at a certain height after the last tile, although i am not quite sure what the exact  is. I know it's pretty good amount, maybe 100 blocks? Anyone want to give an exact amount?

You will reach the death tiles there, won't you?
Still, it doesn't matter. Two tees will be able to stay mid-air as long as they want, hiding the flag from the rest of the team. It's not too fun.