1 (edited by Blue 2011-08-07 21:06:48)

Topic: [MAPPING] Qualities of a good map

Qualities of a good map

What is this? This is a list of rules you should keep in mind when making a teeworlds map. Of course every map should be unique, but there are a few basics that all should have. I listed the standard teeworlds gametypes and the (in my opinion) most famous mods.
Who should read this? You should have at least some experience with maps and the teeworlds map-editor to find this useful. This guide will not teach you how to use the editor technically, but what your product should be like. If you aren't sure about the technical usage of the editor, here you will find a basic tutorial about the map editor, and this page provides a list of many of the editor's advanced commands.
This guide obviously isn't completed yet, so please add lots of things and discuss what seems questionable to you.
I would like to thank all users who contributed to this guide.

General
  • Good graphics: correctly used main tilesets, tons of doodads and a good background, all should fit together.

• Examples of graphical elements as inspiration: ground, background, water, shadow, weather (rain, clouds etc.), moon/sun, vegetation doodads, other doodads, mountains

• Show via graphics which gametile will have which effect (e.g. use spikes for killtiles, main-tiles for hookables and unhookables). This means especially that no tees or secret ways should disappear behind gfx.

• Fair filesize: make sure you really need every tilestileset.

• Give credit for every tileset if you can find out who made it.

• Take care of enough spawn positions.

• Look at other maps to learn, but don't replicate parts of them.

• Your aim should not only be to make a map with a good gameplay, you should also try to make evey game on it unique and interesting (replayability).

Vanilla
  • Good Gameplay - meaning smooth ways, you should be able to get a nice amount of speed everywhere; not too small corridors; no stairs and so on.

• Balanced Pickups -> The 'right' amount, well reachable.

• Place a katana, the host may decide wether he uses it or not.

• Place more armor than hearts.

CTF/TDM

• Symmetry is not necessary, but a good idea.

• Consider placing weapons in a way that enemies (of the team on that side) have to stop to pick them up. Generally think of the tactical aspect in your pickup placing. If a risk is connected with collecting a pickup (like a worse position), the game will become more interesting. Place the same amount of pickups for each team.

• The same goes for your ways and walls. For example you can make "shock points", places where the paths meet each other, so that people have to go through them. It makes the game more interesting.

• For big maps like ctf2: 4 grenade launchers, 3 shotguns, 1 rifle, ~14 hearts, ~16 shields (for each team).
    For smaller maps like ctf3: 2 grenade launcher, 2 shotguns, 1 rifle. Look at the standard ctf maps if you need more inspiration.

Instagib
  • Almost the same as vanilla, remember players have only the laser. Smaller corridors will make the laser more useful.

Race
  • Never repeat things, don't use parts you saw in other maps. Never.

• No quizzes, no traps at the end of heavy parts. This ruins gameplay.

• It's important not to put secret ways. Shortcuts or alternative ways are ok, as long as everyone could use them the first time he plays the map without using the editor.

• Mark start, finish-line and checkpoints.

• Make sure players can't get stuck anywhere (except because they are unable to finish a part of course).

• Just a suggestion: a public stage selection for training will help players to get through your map if it is very hard. (of course you shouldn't get a time using this). Not for shortruns.

Shortrun

• Should have a VERY smooth gameplay.

• Should be finishable within 30 seconds.

Longrun

• No kill tiles, only teleports.

• Every part should have the same length.

• Still not more than 20 parts.

DDRace

• Let players know how many players they need, or start with a part that needs the maximum of players needed in the race.

• Don't use the generic_unhookable tileset for hookable tiles - used far to often and looks too plain.

• Don't repeat parts, don't copy and don't put secret paths.

As stated above, this guide isn't completed and if you feel something is missing, don't hesitate to add it.

void ..

Re: [MAPPING] Qualities of a good map

Great idea to start this topic! I'm sure it will contribute to an overall improvement of map quality. If you can complete it I'll make sure it gets a sticky status.

Look at TeeQual. This was something similiar, just for Vanilla gametype. There are some points you can add, like 'High Detail'.

General for Vanilla:
- balanced pickups, means every team has the same amount of pickups (in tdm and ctf)
- pickups should be easy reachable

For DM, TDM
- it's everywhere the same three points
   - gameplay (smooth ways, not to smal coridors)
   - balancing of pickups (easy reachable, same amout (ctf))
   - the look of the map

For CTF:
- same as at DM, TDM
- big maps (ctf2 like):
   - 4 grenade launcher, 3 shotguns, 1 rifle, ~15 hearts, ~15 shilds (for each team)
- smal maps (ctf3 like):
   - 2 grenade launcher, 2 shotguns, 1 rifle, (dont know hearts and shilds)
- most of the players disslike katana, but place one, so the server hoster can decide

For Instagib:
- same points as in Vanilla, just without weapons, health, etc.
- maybe some smaler coridors (better for bouncing laser (look at CTF4))

General for Race:
- mark the start/finish line somehow
- mark checkpoints (longrun)
- you should be able to distinguish tele -and 'normal' tiles

For Shortrun:
- should have a VERY smooth gameplay
- should be finishable under 30 seconds

For Longrun:
- Must be for both, beginners and pros. Means one easy way and one hard way
- lots of diffrent parts (rocktjumps, hook, speed, combinations)
- no kill tiles, only teleport tiles
- still not too long, like >20 parts

If somethins is wrong or someone dissagrees, I'm of course open for other oppinions smile

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

I'm too lazy to post screens....but here.

Vanilla, Instagib - DO NOT MAKE STAIRS
Vanilla - DO NOT MAKE SMALL CORRIDORS

That's all i can think of.

CTF:
Don't leave weapons on the usual ways of running out the base. Place it so that enemies have to stop for taking a weapon. Also armor has to be more common than hearts.

Stay wild big_smile

[Heroes] Variecs wrote:

CTF:
Don't leave weapons on the usual ways of running out the base. Place it so that enemies have to stop for taking a weapon. Also armor has to be more common than hearts.

I wouldn't make that a thumb rule. Depends on what gameplay you're trying to achieve. Generally, there should be a risk connected with pickups, but not always.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

OH MY GAWSH THANKS. (I already made fairly decent maps...) but that "run" and "vanilla" part totally helped. I would put up my new maps for downloads... but I don't know how. Cheers, Chrisfield12.

Italic text

I forgot about this thread, but as it is bumped anyway, I ask the moderators to move it from the mapping section to the new tutorial section to make this thread more useful.

Also, you may still post mapping hints, I will add them to the top post.

@chrisfield. Good to hear that this thread was useful for someone smile
I won't answer your indirect question as it would lead to an offtopic discussion, google how you can upload files or images on the internet by yourself. Or use the forum search.

void ..

Blue wrote:
  • Place more armor than hearts.

• For big maps like ctf2: 4 grenade launchers, 3 shotguns, 1 rifle, ~15 hearts, ~15 shields (for each team).

But all in all a very good article in my opinion smile

10 (edited by ksgcln72 2020-06-16 10:12:59)

Deleted.

I am very new to this game and haven't made a map.
What if i made a map with ninja swords everywhere?
Would that be a good map or not?
Just asking.

Lachn007

MISSINGNO. APPEARED

Lachn007 wrote:

I am very new to this game and haven't made a map.
What if i made a map with ninja swords everywhere?
Would that be a good map or not?
Just asking.

Lachn007

In case it's not a troll: no.
In case it is: gtfo.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I need to know how to delete a map

-koala leader

From where?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Noobs tend to camp at places, would an anti camper be useful in that situation, or would you make just a flat map? smile