Topic: Lots and lots of stuff has been done.

Puh, this weekend I got a lot of stuff done. We have done some play testing and found quite the mount of bugs, but those are gone now.

I've reduced how high you jump and added double jump. In total you can jump higher now.

I've tweaked some weapons. The gun and shotgun is less affected by gravity, the shotgun spread is abit less and the center bullets got a bit futher.

Added the very requested option to remove powerups (ninja) if not wanted. Added key-bindings for chat, team chat, console and remote console. Option for mouse sensitivity.

A few crashbugs have been fixed aswell. We don't have many crashes overall but I will do some serious stress testing during this week to make sure that it's as stable as it can be.

I've also made a new CTF map with the all new winter tileset so here is a little screenshot from it.
http://www.teeworlds.com/blogimg/new_winter_map.png

Re: Lots and lots of stuff has been done.

really nice!and that bear behind the tree... wink in anyway nice

This is your first and last meet with my gun...   R3ynolds--->Black Wolf.

95%!!

This is your first and last meet with my gun...   R3ynolds--->Black Wolf.

I love this Winter-Style!

R3ynolds wrote:

really nice!and that bear behind the tree... wink in anyway nice

It's an owl, isn't it? smile

Repeating line at the top right corner of your screen:
RallyHagge!  ( ••)   ?????  ( ><) Your name

6 (edited by Ergo Proxy 2007-12-10 04:07:19)

Hi everybody! This is my first post. I've been playing teewars for some time now and some of you probably know me. (Hi Rally)
I decided to register here after reading that the double jump has been added. I wonder what was the reasoning to add this feature? I think that the current jump and hook are actually perfect and you can do basically any type of accrobation using them!(even simulating double jump provided that there is any wall nearby) I fear that any changes might just spoil the fun. I hope that this hasn't been added noob-wise. Remember that being a noob is only a temporary occupation!
Could anybody doing the testgames comment on the double jump feeling?
Cheers,
Ergo

PS. I think the flags should have some logo drawn on them, like in Unreal Tournament. wink

The proxy of death / noWai!

Ergo Proxy wrote:

Hi everybody! This is my first post. I've been playing teewars for some time now and some of you probably know me. (Hi Rally)

Hey Proxy! smile

Ergo Proxy wrote:

I decided to register here after reading that the double jump has been added. I wonder what was the reasoning to add this feature? I think that the current jump and hook are actually perfect and you can do basically any type of accrobation using them!(even simulating double jump provided that there is any wall nearby) I fear that any changes might just spoil the fun. I hope that this hasn't been added noob-wise. Remember that being a noob is only a temporary occupation!

Agree. I'm also sceptical to the double jump stuff. Use the hook... or rocket jump! lol
But since you guys come up with this great game (w/o major flaws), i'm actually convinced you've consider the consequences and, yes, please tell us more about it!

Ergo Proxy wrote:

PS. I think the flags should have some logo drawn on them, like in Unreal Tournament. wink

Yeah! Clan tagged falgs would rock! cool

RallyHagge! wrote:

But since you guys come up with this great game (w/o major flaws), i'm actually convinced you've consider the consequences and, yes, please tell us more about it!

Yeah, the game rocks and thanks to the devs!

But let me tell you a sad history, the background of my concern ...
Once upon a time there was a truly remarkable game, Unreal Tournament, the original one.
It grew a really big community of loyal players. Unreal became a legend.
Then one day it was time to move forward, the new engine was created and Unreal Tournament was ready for a sequel. Unfortunately people developing the game got so overexcited about adding gameplay "features" that they simply overdid it... they created UT2003 which incorporated all sorts of monkey tricks, including DOUBLE JUMP. It basically destroyed the game for hardcore players. It didn't feel right. Of course it grew a new community, but it wasn't that Unreal... So the point is, that sometimes it's fine to leave things SIMPLE, as UNIX motto says.
HOWEVER, I don't want to be close minded, I don't want to prejudge that double jump because maybe it's worth adding. That's why I ask for comments from players doing the testgames.

Cheers,
Ergo

The proxy of death / noWai!

Ergo Proxy wrote:

Alot...

Words of wisdom!

10 (edited by void 2007-12-10 12:04:33)

After some playtesting yesterday I must say that the double jump rocks.
Combined with the hook you can do very fast movements and combinations.

And, we are aiming for a tight simple game. Simple rules, advanced tactics.

Languages shapes the way we think, or don't.

Looks very nice, apart from the grayish terrain imo ;D

Slayer

It's hammering time!

Slayer wrote:

Looks very nice, apart from the grayish terrain imo ;D

I talked to Maikka about it and I think she will make some variations that can be inserted into the terrain. Colour tweaks is also possible. The tileset also includes two other surface types which, when used, will give a better feeling.

Languages shapes the way we think, or don't.

Ergo Proxy wrote:

Cheers,
Ergo

I think that this question should be answered in detail so I wrote a new entry for it.
http://www.teewars.com/?page=journal&id=161

14 (edited by Brix 2007-12-10 18:08:41)

RallyHagge! wrote:

Use the hook... or rocket jump! lol

You made my day. lol

Ergo Proxy wrote:

I fear that any changes might just spoil the fun. I hope that this hasn't been added noob-wise. Remember that being a noob is only a temporary occupation!

Well... You will always have new, eager players who are trying to pick up on the mechanics and improve their skill. If a game is too noob-unfriendly, the playerbase will quickly dwindle into a dark, tiny clusterfuck of competing egos smile

I've frequently seen experienced players fail the most basic hookjumps because of bad timing, misjudging their speed or simply being busy getting shot at (and firing back). This tells me that we need to give the player more maneuverability, and the double jump is our unobtrusive solution for that.