Topic: Teeworlds Tournaments for Americas

So there is an obvious lack of TW tournaments in general but I noticed that Americas got pretty much nothing. I think it's time to do something about that. I am willing to do all of the work I just need to know how many people would participate.

I would love to organize an open league for anyone willing to join in North or South America. The final shape of the project will of course depend on how many people participate. So if there are only few people who want to play we can do small weekly or monthly tournaments. If there is enough people interested there will be a league.

Of course one of the first questions people will be asking is "will there be prizes?". The glory of winning will be your prize. If there is enough interest in the future that we can do leagues with a two or three month long seasons I would consider paying for some prizes but I can't afford to do weekly giveaways.

So just post here if you want to join the tournament/league or whatever this ends up being. Any ideas or constructive criticism is welcome.

Re: Teeworlds Tournaments for Americas

I am definitely in. Could do teams of Ctf, a tournament of dm, etc. We had a good Dm tournament a good while ago but it took a long time to complete due to players not able to get on teeworlds at the same time. Broken did a very nice job running it.

For that reason I'm thinking about doing 1vs1 duels first. It's easier to organize because only two people need to be online at the given time.

Ultimately I would love to see this evolve into something like Urban Zone league in Urban Terror but that is some ways away.

Ping is an issue, as South Americans get around 150 on North American servers, and vice versa. How will we reach a happy medium?

Ex-King of Teeworlds

yemDX wrote:

Ping is an issue, as South Americans get around 150 on North American servers, and vice versa. How will we reach a happy medium?

I actually thought quite a bit about this issue. My first idea was to have a several servers that are spread out across americas and the players will pick the best one to play their matches on. But since it is impossible to find a server where players would get equal pings someone will always have the advantage. So here's my solution, the matches would be played in a double round-robin system where two players/teams play two games against each other (one game of course would include some odd number of rounds), each team/player would pick one of the servers as their "home" server where they would have good pings. So in every round each player/team plays one "home" and one "away" game.

I know that this solution is not flawless, some teams may get more advantage on their "home" games than others and some teams may not be able to find any servers with decent pings for them but I think that you can still enjoy teeworlds with pings as high as 150 (I used to play with european clans while living in Canada), so for now lets just focus on enjoying the game.

I will be getting a few servers around North America and hopefully something in the south. I can't currently pay for too many servers myself but I had a few people tell me that they would host something for me if I would organize a tournament. And no, I do not want to allow everyone to host their own servers for tournament games because that could give some people too much of an advantage.

I'd love to participate. It's gonna be great. Good luck organizing everything!

Vanilla FTW, please.

I started a web page for the league http://polishedperspective.com/

It's still work in progress but it has forums so we can start sign-ups and talk all the details over.

Separate forum = fail. Come talk to me an Inspire servers sometime, maybe we can set something up. I used Challonge.com last time to keep record.

I don't really see separate forum as a negative thing and I don't understand why you would. This is not just one-off tournament if this proceeds into the direction I plan it to there will be more events.

I'm familiar with challonge and considered using it but it's only good for single elimination type tournaments.

I'm always open for conversation though, I'm on quakenet and freenode pretty much all the time, nick same as here.

I didn't mean to be negative, just telling you my experience.

11 (edited by yeti 2012-11-22 15:35:14)

frecel wrote:

it's only good for single elimination type tournaments.

Can't you do double eliminations on there? I thought that's what/where Broken did his.

frecel wrote:

For that reason I'm thinking about doing 1vs1 duels first. It's easier to organize because only two people need to be online at the given time.

My thoughts about ways around having 4 people on that need to play get too complicated or just weird I suppose but It would be NICE if there were a way to organize something for 2vs2. It would be really really cool. But I'm not sure how.

Some thoughts:
- where there are a list of people: If someone is online you can team with them against another two from that list that happen to be online. and winners go into a new list... and so on.

- Or set up teams to function in the same way clans do. You have a group (of however many) and only 2 from your group need to play to advance your group further in the competition.

1vs1 is nice too tho big_smile

yeti wrote:

Can't you do double eliminations on there? I thought that's what/where Broken did his.

For the league I want to use double round robin and that option is not available in challonge.

yeti wrote:

My thoughts about ways around having 4 people on that need to play get too complicated or just weird I suppose but It would be NICE if there were a way to organize something for 2vs2. It would be really really cool. But I'm not sure how.

Some thoughts:
- where there are a list of people: If someone is online you can team with them against another two from that list that happen to be online. and winners go into a new list... and so on.

- Or set up teams to function in the same way clans do. You have a group (of however many) and only 2 from your group need to play to advance your group further in the competition.

1vs1 is nice too tho big_smile

The way I'm setting everything up is so we can have more than one tournament there. I am organizing two right now. I just need people to visit the website and tell me what tournament and what modes they would like to play and if there is enough people we can make it happen. Right now I'm getting a lot of people who are willing to help out with organizing things but not many register on my forum to sign up for the league or the tournament. If we have enough people to organize 2vs2 tournament or even a league I would organize that. Actually I would love to make a clan league.

I would be very interested in this too and would love to help! I was talking to Broken not too long ago about making some sort of CTF league. I think you have the right idea in starting with something simple like a 1v1 tournament first. The most challenging thing will be the creation of the forum/league and initial organization. Once you get that down though, the gameplay/tournament specifics can always be adjusted.

Right now, the best thing for all us players is just to get something started. We can worry about perfecting it later on.

Looking forward to see where this thread goes!

frecel wrote:

but not many register on my forum to sign up for the league or the tournament. If we have enough people to organize 2vs2 tournament or even a league I would organize that. Actually I would love to make a clan league.

I'll do my best to spread the word as well then.

I would have signed up if it wasn't for the fact that I'm not American.
Good luck with the tournaments! smile

16 (edited by frecel 2012-11-30 16:06:55)

Well I'm not going to stop anyone who is not from North or South America from joining the tournaments, it's all about pings. Right now we have only one server but there will be one more set up today and a few more in the future and if your ping is ok on one of those servers you are welcome to join.

The signups for Weekend Duel Cup are open and have been for a few days now. Only one people signed up so far though so I'm just posting this here to remind a few people of my project.

You can signup at www.polishedperspective.com