Topic: Let's start playing this game correctly

I love teeworlds and watch now since months how the project is doing. Seeing how you try to create community action, as example the Map Creation Group. But it's kidsplay how the project is doing. The process is kinda slow, too slow, and I don't want, that teeworlds gets lost in time soon. So I have some ideas how we can speed up, get more players and as addition have anymore fun.

For the maps group: my thoughts are: don't discuss too much about making new maps. What you need is a platform to publish your professional maps. You said that there are cool maps here in the forum but the maps dont get played. I think the problem is here, that the maps don't get any ads. Ingame is the solution, so there are the players-> devs you need to give the map creators a ingame news platform for their maps. What else? Why dont you create featured servers for the new maps. Devs: the masterserver needs a featured server list, these servers are always on top of the server list.

For the mass: i think the game is very stable, but: what the heck is with the dammed ingame menu music? Get some cool tracks of soundclound. Second: why doesnt the game have an installer? Third: the icon is nice simple, but why doesnt it include an 128px solution? And make it a little bit more modern.

Take these steps and package the game v0.9 - get comments and critics of the forum, but dont wait too long. After that pack the final as v1.0 stable publish it official, try to get ads help by newscompanys.

Whats after the v1.0? Theres no end at sight. When the game has the newscompanys and gets more players start your mapping contest, start making official tournaments staring teeworld pros. Release map packs through the ingame news channel, create youtube vids introducing the map packs.

And as last point: There are cool modes like zombie and ddrace, the game is a shooter game, but whats the problem to make the two modes official? The modes are popular, so what?! Are we here in the playschool? Teeworlds is opensource, it isnt Valve & Co. Hosted and doenst need get scared about these kid rules. Include the modes and the community - the players which are playing these mods are happy, what else do you want?

(ich spreche übrigens auch deutsch)

Sincerly yours
Cash

2 (edited by Variecs 2012-08-26 15:01:36)

Re: Let's start playing this game correctly

And as last point: There are cool modes like zombie and ddrace, the game is a shooter game, but whats the problem to make the two modes official? The modes are popular, so what?!

This mods are NOT Teeworlds, they differ too much from the standart gametype. It's basically a different game. They will never be added to the standart gametypes.

For the maps group: my thoughts are: don't discuss too much about making new maps. What you need is a platform to publish your professional maps. You said that there are cool maps here in the forum but the maps dont get played. I think the problem is here, that the maps don't get any ads. Ingame is the solution, so there are the players-> devs you need to give the map creators a ingame news platform for their maps. What else? Why dont you create featured servers for the new maps. Devs: the masterserver needs a featured server list, these servers are always on top of the server list.

That is a good idea, unless maps are bad. The trouble is there's actually not so many maps being good enough for becoming official, they really need improvements and this takes time.

For the mass: i think the game is very stable, but: what the heck is with the dammed ingame menu music? Get some cool tracks of soundclound. Second: why doesnt the game have an installer? Third: the icon is nice simple, but why doesnt it include an 128px solution? And make it a little bit more modern.

I don't get it. Music is just fine.
And the last one: this project is totally free. All the people working on this project are working at their free time. So please, don't ever force them to do anything, cause they're not supposed to follow any rules while doing something for free. That's the cost we pay for it.

Cash wrote:

What else? Why dont you create featured servers for the new maps. Devs: the masterserver needs a featured server list, these servers are always on top of the server list.

Mh.. How should that servers be selected, what's your suggestion?

Cash wrote:

Not sure about the menu music. The installer was discussed several times, and should IMO be added, I made an issue a few days ago (#1011). Not sure about the icon, but created an issue anyway: #1012.

Cash wrote:

And as last point: There are cool modes like zombie and ddrace, the game is a shooter game, but whats the problem to make the two modes official? The modes are popular, so what?! Are we here in the playschool? Teeworlds is opensource, it isnt Valve & Co. Hosted and doenst need get scared about these kid rules. Include the modes and the community - the players which are playing these mods are happy, what else do you want?

I think there's no problem with them not being official.., they're still played all the time.

Overall, thank you very much for your post, I liked it, thanks for your suggestions. I didn't quote the whole posts because that would've been unnecessary lengthy.

heinrich5991 wrote:
Cash wrote:

What else? Why dont you create featured servers for the new maps. Devs: the masterserver needs a featured server list, these servers are always on top of the server list.

Mh.. How should that servers be selected, what's your suggestion?

My suggestion would be, that the featured servers are hosted by the devs, or some major trusted people, because the server needs updated latest map rotations and welcome screens with up to date community informations

heinrich5991 wrote:

Overall, thank you very much for your post, I liked it, thanks for your suggestions. I didn't quote the whole posts because that would've been unnecessary lengthy.

No problem at all, you're welcome ^^

5 (edited by GBKing 2012-08-26 15:44:37)

I have to agree that there is still a lot potential in this game and it's the decision of the developers whether they want to keep the game as simple as possible and have the popularity of the game depend on the more popular modifications than the core game, or make some steps into making the game greater, which doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will like it. I think that right now the development does actually go into exactly this direction, so why not consider the ideas presented by Cash?

6 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2012-08-26 20:59:16)

The thing about the platform for the maps...well I just closed my eyes and imagined teeworlds in the future with the feature you mentioned and that many players are playing and enjoying it. This is very well possible,teeworlds has the potential to become as popular and good as Counter Strike.

To devs:As for the including mods into mainstream teeworlds well you said that they differ too much from the today's gametypes. So? A lot of games have gametypes which differ from each other.

And you were actually considering to make Race official. How exactly does Race have more in common with the standard gametypes than some other mods such as zCatch or openFNG???

Cash wrote:

For the mass: i think the game is very stable, but: what the heck is with the dammed ingame menu music? Get some cool tracks of soundclound

TW is a fast paced shooter and music may not fit. However we could try.

Cash wrote:

Second: why doesnt the game have an installer?

It's not needed. But it may be done.

Cash wrote:

Third: the icon is nice simple, but why doesnt it include an 128px solution? And make it a little bit more modern.

Why should it include a 128px solution??? I mean for God's sake it's just an icon,it's not as important as the game itself. However I would like the icon changed. Instead of a plain,glass eyed tee we;we could give it a weapon and make an expression on it's face.

Once in a century...

Cash wrote:

I love teeworlds and watch now since months how the project is doing. Seeing how you try to create community action, as example the Map Creation Group. But it's kidsplay how the project is doing. The process is kinda slow, too slow, and I don't want, that teeworlds gets lost in time soon. So I have some ideas how we can speed up, get more players and as addition have anymore fun.

Take these steps and package the game v0.9 - get comments and critics of the forum, but dont wait too long. After that pack the final as v1.0 stable publish it official, try to get ads help by newscompanys.

Whats after the v1.0? Theres no end at sight. When the game has the newscompanys and gets more players start your mapping contest, start making official tournaments staring teeworld pros. Release map packs through the ingame news channel, create youtube vids introducing the map packs.

(ich spreche übrigens auch deutsch)

Sincerly yours
Cash

Ewwwww... That should never happen. I don't agree with any of this. I say we should leave TW the way it is, and NOT have any of this fancy ******* ********. OMG advertisments? {NO.}
The game is already perfect in my opinion, and the thing about mods, I think that zcatch and instagib should be official, since its so popular, but zombie and ddrace? {NO.}
Lots of people are very good at the game, and they would not like to see 100 new idiots every day. (including me)
I say leave it simple stupid realistic weapons. Good players will hate things like this and there will be too many noobs in all the servers... But maybe the noobs will stick to ddrace.

no

I think he has some really good ideas. Adverts in a moderate degree can be a good thing, especially if it means the game gets more development time.

Some of his points were a little random, but overall I agree with him. Teeworlds has a ton of potential, and I would love to see it raise to the challenge.

DARK HUNTER wrote:

And you were actually considering to make Race official. How exactly does Race have more in common with the standard gametypes than some other mods such as zCatch or openFNG???

Well, i am one of the players which are playing zCatch and i would be happy if its get included. What i try to say: The game is community driven, when the community loves to play modes like openFNG, why dont include these modes to the game, make them more stable and awesome.

DARK HUNTER wrote:

TW is a fast paced shooter and music may not fit. However we could try.

Music which is audible without thinking of mario kart, music that is audible outside of the game too – i think, that music would fit. Remember, its just for the new players, as welcome present, i think most players turn the ingame music off as soon as they wanna hear their own music.

DARK HUNTER wrote:

It's not needed. But it may be done.

If the game stays as it is, then you are right, no new players are needed, they can come, but they are on their own way, their habits: as example „installing“ a game, starting their adventure not with unzipping some crumb, but getting welcomed with some happy and fresh install wizard dialogs, are ignored.
With this attitude, the game doesnt have the chance, getting to the tops, which it would deserve.

DARK HUNTER wrote:

Why should it include a 128px solution??? I mean for God's sake it's just an icon,it's not as important as the game itself.

Its all about sake... No really: because the icon is a simple way, you can give the game a special glance, the players remember, which game they are playing: The crashing wicked bloody cool Teeworlds!

GBKing wrote:

make some steps into making the game greater

Yes! And many of the steps would be so simple

Lord Kirby wrote:

I say leave it simple stupid realistic weapons. Good players will hate things like this and there will be too many noobs in all the servers... But maybe the noobs will stick to ddrace

I dont know if it is my englisch, but this thread is all about suggestions and ideas, you dont need to be frighten. What exactly are the negative points about getting new players? Some of them might be your next best friends, they are all humans, just because they play the game for the first time or doesnt playing it as serious as you do, are you against them?
But your thoughts remembered me of something else: The „noobs“, or saying the „no-serious“ players, mostly some angry funvoters, spammers and wanna-be hackers, they would get a very dammed problem, if the game, if the servers would have a more modern automatic or manual bann and kick logic, what whould be a cool game addition. And so players like you could profit too.

I think this thread goes into a very interesting direction and i love, that you are telling your thougts.

The quandary is: Dont change too much, a little bug fix here, some small new feature there, or see what the endless possibilities are, and start getting bigger and learning something new. Its all about staying here – or move forward. But which is the right way?

I agree that some of your points are valid. You have to see though, that we have tons of things to do, and our Time is very limited. Have you ever had a look at the issues list on github...? I think before we can focus on advertising stuff and so on, we first have to make the game itself "perfect". On the other Hand, things like the higher resolution icon and a Windows installer can easily be implemented and should he in my opinion.

So basically you want to change teeworlds so it looks more attractive to players? Change a few things that might seem insignificant but really in the subconscious mind they associate teeworlds with something good/cool/awesome.

Once in a century...