1 (edited by lamefun 2012-08-07 18:35:44)

Topic: [COMPLAINT] Please legally sue bad mappers

1. Maps with unhookable grass tiles
2. Maps with hookable unhookables
3. Maps with secret passageways
4. Maps with buggy graphics.
5. ...

Please legally sue mappers who do that, since it kills fun in Teeworlds by making people think that all custom maps are bad making them reluctant to try new maps.

2 (edited by Kirbs 2012-08-08 18:13:46)

Re: [COMPLAINT] Please legally sue bad mappers

Deleted.

(look at my other post because I deleted this one)

no

lamefun, it's been a long time coming. Shut the fuck up. I don't care if this gets erased or I get banned. The only thing that comes out of your computer is shit.

I believe not everything he says is shit! He however expresses it in the wrong way (imo).

He sees the problems teeworlds has and openly wants to discuss it. That many people (like me) don't like the radical changes he proposes, is probably what he calls the reluctance of teeworlds players to try new things.

I'm still not thinking that what he says is very nice.. Just speak of the problems instead of demanding radical things like "bans", it will create a better discussion atmosphere.

I disagree with you, lame guy.
The reason is simple: You are not forced to play on any maps with secrets like secret passages.
People should have the power to use the imagination, doesn't matter if you like or not.
And what do you want to do anyway?
Hey Minus, heinrich, Kottizen! Can you please ban a server from the master servers?
Why?
Because it have a map with hookable unhookables.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

I disagree with you, lame guy.
The reason is simple: You are not forced to play on any maps with secrets like secret passages.

Mh.. The problem does exist imo. I think you are somehow forced to play on these maps, as you can't avoid them just by looking at their name, and that's the only thing you can see if you're in the server browser.

But I like secret passageways! :-(  And with clear entities they are no longer secret -.-

But I totally agree with heinrich. He sees the problems but he is exagerating (red wavy under line....hmm bad spelling xD )

Instead of suing mappers educate them!!!!(infinite marks) This time focus not on the creation of maps themselves but rather on the quality of maps. Do the same with mods.

Once in a century...

You can totally look the map in the editor to find secret ways. That's not really a problem.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

9 (edited by Delo 2012-08-08 11:58:34)

lamefun wrote:

1. Maps with unhookable grass tiles

Wtf!
Look at most of the race maps: You can use the grass_main tileset for hookable AND unhookable tiles (both in one map)..I never heard somebody complaining about that.
Furthermore you can't sue new maps of guys who still learn how to make a good map - my first map was crappy too but I was proud of it!
In DDrace the yellow generics are often used for hookable tiles and it's ok imo. Each mod has his own standards which doesn't mean that the maps are bad and need to be sued!

My advice for you: Produce your own maps and follow your own guidelines!

visit our clan!
=Eagle=

Delo: wrote:

In DDrace the yellow generics are often used for hookable tiles and it's ok imo. Each mod has his own standards which doesn't mean that the maps are bad and need to be sued!

That's not a standard, that's just bullshit.
It's this way because the first DDRace mappers were beginners and they didn't even use different colors for unhookable/hookable.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

It's this way because the first DDRace mappers were beginners and they didn't even use different colors for unhookable/hookable.

But now they do! big_smile

Btw I think it's indifferent which tiles are used if the whole map looks good with it..

visit our clan!
=Eagle=

Dune wrote:

That's not a standard, that's just bullshit.

Who are you to judge that?
That standard helps you to see if a tile is hookable or unhookable in a split sec before you fall into death tiles.

Imagine ctf5 reversed. Grass is unhookable and metal hookable o.O

Once in a century...

I agree that there is some problem with this. It's true that low quality custom maps often discourage people from playing custom maps at all, which is a bad thing in my eyes. However, I believe there is not much we can do about it. People are free to host their own servers with the maps they want on them (even if they are really bad) and this is not something that should change.

There was a project called "Qualitee" or similar some time ago which worked on exactly this problem. People could hand in their maps here on the forum and if they met certain criteria (i.e. some quality standards, like no graphic bugs, no hidden paths etc. were met) the map got the tag "QT" (I believe it was like this, don't be mad if I am mistaken). Servers which only hosted "Qualitee" maps were allowed to have the tag "QT" in the server name.

I think it would be a good idea to continue this project, but officially. We could implement something like a "quality maps list" that is automatically by the client retrieved from some server (e.g. the master server) and then the client will display a "QT" sign (maybe an icon or whatever...) in the server browser. This way you can at least find quality maps already in the server browser. People could apply for their maps to be listed on that "quality maps list" here on the forum (or somewhere else) where it will be reviewed by certain authorized people, (like moderators, official map developers etc.) who then judge if the map will be put in the list and if they accept the map, they will put the map on the list.

Please let me know what you think about this idea.

I agree

Maps such as the ones featured in https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8620 need to be banned forever

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Hmm not bad but it would be not necessary for vanilla servers imo..players won't stop playing ctf1,2 and dm1 for a  vanilla map with QT sign..

visit our clan!
=Eagle=

I don't like unhookable grass tiles, but I like hookable metal tiles.
And why does lamefun ask for all these things?
We shouldn't be forced to play new maps. We shouldn't be banned because maps have "displaced" tiles.
Nothing is wrong with making a map with unhookable grass or hookable metal. I take back what I said earlier.

no

17 (edited by eeeee 2012-08-08 18:37:04)

I think we could make the map editor produce some warning when unhookables are used as hookables and for other such mistakes. It would ofc require some way for the editor to know which tiles are supposed to be hookable and which not. I guess an approach similar to the automapper one would work.

18 (edited by Kirbs 2012-08-08 20:08:42)

yemDX wrote:

I agree

Maps such as the ones featured in https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8620 need to be banned forever

xD
*facepalm*

Excuse me! Those are great maps that I think I will host on my private Vanilla server!
The mirrored ones I will, anyway.

Those are fine maps.
What you are saying is completly not true.

no

19 (edited by lamefun 2012-08-08 20:34:19)

yemDX wrote:

I agree

I fail to see what's wrong with these maps. Properly made maps with bad gameplay are OK, but maps with unhookable hookables, invisible death tiles, secret passageways must be legally sued for. My idea is, with copyright, tileset authors should mandate how their tilesets should be used, which tiles are hookable, which are unhookable, which tiles kill, etc. and legally sue mappers for failure to abide the conventions.

yemDX wrote:

I agree

If you haven't noticed those maps are for openFNG. And for openFNG they are great. For vanilla they suck. And as they were meant for openFNG it means that they are great and that you are wrong.

Once in a century...

21 (edited by ghost 2012-08-08 23:07:58)

lamefun wrote:
yemDX wrote:

I agree

I fail to see what's wrong with these maps. Properly made maps with bad gameplay are OK, but maps with unhookable hookables, invisible death tiles, secret passageways must be legally sued for. My idea is, with copyright, tileset authors should mandate how their tilesets should be used, which tiles are hookable, which are unhookable, which tiles kill, etc. and legally sue mappers for failure to abide the conventions.

Sorry, but for gods sake, are you kidding...? Take the default teeworlds tilesets for example, they will be released under the creative commons license, which allows you to do much more than just use the tileset in a wrong way for a map.... And as I said before, this is not something we want. We don't want to limit people in the way they are creating their maps.

BTW: I think yemDX was kidding with his post...

ghost wrote:

Sorry, but for gods sake, are you kidding...? Take the default teeworlds tilesets for example, they will be released under the creative commons license, which allows you to do much more than just use the tileset in a wrong way for a map.... And as I said before, this is not something we want. We don't want to limit people in the way they are creating their maps.

If it's going to bring Teeworlds back to life, it's good.

Let's mutilate my cow, if it gives more milk, then it's good!

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Lamefun, I don't know where you get this crap, but I think I agree with full face tee and ghost.
I think the tiles should be used the way the person making the map wants them to be used (only in that map).
If they don't like those maps, well, they don't have to play them. There.
Tiles should be used in anyway they can. "Be Creative" smile

no

If everybody needs to follow this rules the maps will loose their individuality..

visit our clan!
=Eagle=