1 (edited by fameless 2012-02-26 17:40:50)

Topic: Long lasting games

Long and exhausting games, a rarity in Tw these days. What happend to all those games taking hours to finish? I remember tons of games played on ctf2 vanilla servers (especially on good old ckz <3) or instagib with ~{MS}~, which were lasting hours. Where are you guys?
Tell us your mod, tell us how long your games last, so some might join you for playing a good round.

1338 - One step ahead of the average Nerd.

Re: Long lasting games

Well, people have quite frankly grown out of playing something for extend times. And I mean that in a very unbiased recognition toward what is going in the game servers.  It seems like it has been a lot easier when you decide to start on something new because you start fresh against other. And it rather talks about how the replay value of games can be seen by the usual amount of players going in it.

Depending on the mod...
iCTF - 20 min to 50 min
CTF - 5 min to 60 min
DM - 2 min to 6 min
iDM - 1 min to 3 min

Italic text

Chrisfield12 wrote:

Depending on the mod...
iCTF - 20 min to 50 min
CTF - 5 min to 60 min
DM - 2 min to 6 min
iDM - 1 min to 3 min

You rarely have such long CTF/iCTF games. More like 10/15 min.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I totally agree with fameless. It drives me crazy playing 5 minute ctf games typically on ctf3 servers where the score limit is something retarded like 300. The game has barely had enough time to develop. Nothing is better than 30+ minutes where the game continuously evolves and reaches a satisfying conclusion.

6 (edited by yeti 2012-03-02 22:54:39)

I think short games with map rotations can be fun. I like server customization. I used to play a lot of games that would rotate CTF1-5 long ago with the limit at 500-600. I chose those servers for that reason. It was fun because I wouldn't get stuck in the monotony of one map. I enjoyed the mix up. 300 and lower seems crazy extreme though to me.. I just don't frequent those servers but there is nothing wrong with it IMO.

That being said I like long games as well when I have time. I played on a server last week that had a time limit set up around 45 mins with no score limit in CTF5. It was fun though. The score went past 1000 with 10 mins or so left and the grind to catch up with time running out was different and a lot of fun.

I don't know if that type of server would become a trend though. I kind of wish it would but I doubt it. Then you run into skill imbalance causing people to leave since they dont want to wait 40 more mins for the game to end.. and the game becomes less fun. I do miss longer games in CTF2 though. I'm curious if games on CTF2 takes longer in general than the more played CTF5.

I agree on that maprotation thingy. Especially in instagib.
Since nowadays instagib is just about ctf4_old and (zcatch) ctf5. I miss playing ctf_mars, _medieval, desertcamp and test11.

1338 - One step ahead of the average Nerd.

8 (edited by 2012-03-03 13:45:16)

the gametime is depending on the scorelimit and how many players are in it (and the gamemode).
tdm (100 points) - 5-10 minutes? - kill takes 1 point
ctf (1000 points) - 5-10 minutes? - flag takes 100points
dm (100 points) - 5 minutes? - kill takes 1 point

So well, that is what i thought about the gametime..

And why the hell i got -1 for that now?
Ist just my fucking opionion and you destroy my karma (even when its already destroyed)-.-

ctf5 16/16 with somewhat 8 experienced players takes about 40min and its rather intense. There is always this situation where each team has some very experienced player and its more like a 2vs1 of some sort where the 1 is very very strong and dominates the server, but after 10min he is being recognized and the enemy team triggers him.

Then some just lurk around the map try getting under it, dummy drag or just wait to team-hook or just trick somebody and don't care about the actual game. These Tees are about 1-6 and are considered as moving walls which the experienced tees must avoid and tear through them while running away or chasing somebody.

Among the eight (sometimes even more just a magic number) experienced tee there is often the:
defender (in chat called  spammer),
the hunter(in chat called bot),
flag-runner (in chat called camper).

Then there are some few rather balanced which will support the flag-runner, defend when necessary and hunt when needed. In other words valuable players overall enriching the quality of the match and very welcome by anyone who likes a challenging match (in chat called noobs).

That was my ctf5 rant, come visit us and kick some bots!

~ See ya on the battlefield ~

Gon wrote:

Then some just lurk around the map try getting under it, dummy drag or just wait to team-hook or just trick somebody and don't care about the actual game. These Tees are about 1-6 and are considered as moving walls which the experienced tees must avoid and tear through them while running away or chasing somebody.

Lol, anyone who has ever played CTF5 knows exactly this. You purposely avoid ending up on the ground because you just know you are going to run into one of these moving walls. What's worse is when one of these moving walls grabs hold of the flag and you just see them walking along the ground with a big target over their heads. Typical counter action to this is to go to the enemy base and wait until they die (because you know they will).