Topic: Forum needs some improvement

Since this seems to be the most appropriate section for the forum improvements, I post it here.

I was about to discuss the most irritaring thing in Teewars, e.g. make a thread about it to the forums, but I noticed there is not really an section for such an open discussion about Teewars. Actually there seems to be NO section which could be ideal to generally discuss Teewars.

So it seems that forums need more sections, right now the discussion is kept under development, support and community made maps/graphics/news, but no place for general discussions. sad

Re: Forum needs some improvement

Thread subsciptions would be nice. smile

No, that is not me; it's just a figment of your imagination.

nikoPSK wrote:

Thread subsciptions would be nice. smile

As far as I know, PunBB doesn't have such feature, thus it can't really be made... Unless by using modified version of PunBB.

heres a situation that is a real sticking point for me

you make a graphics thread that you say you will regularly update with new content but no one ever responds or comments on the content so you can only edit your last post and no knows that you did it leaving the thread a few pages back and hardly ever viewed until final you have to beg for some one to bump you

i propose a update button that would be like edit but will bump the thread as well(edit would still be used for fixing spelling errors and other minor things)it would of course be against the rules to fake an update (there would be a limiter on how often it could be used like once a week)

my name is NOT clasic_traveller_die its CLASIC_TRAVELLER_DIEHARD classic traveller is a si-fi rpg from the same era as dungens and dragons lookit up on wikipedia smile

I know some forum software will bump a post if an edit is sufficiently large enough to warrant it. If you added something like 255 new characters or something, it bumps it.

Personally, I quite like the forums as they are. They're simple, quick, and get the job done.

ARR, wrong button! Made a false report on GSD's post, I should have pressed Quote, but accidentally pressed Report, sorry. sad

Well, the forums are fine, but as I said in the OP, they lack sections which would IMO be needed.

GSD wrote:

I know some forum software will bump a post if an edit is sufficiently large enough to warrant it. If you added something like 255 new characters or something, it bumps it.

Personally, I quite like the forums as they are. They're simple, quick, and get the job done.

REALLY!?! yikes did you find this out your self or did it say so some where (i must have never noticed it because I've never made a edit that was 255 characters in size)

my name is NOT clasic_traveller_die its CLASIC_TRAVELLER_DIEHARD classic traveller is a si-fi rpg from the same era as dungens and dragons lookit up on wikipedia smile

Well, IMO that kind of bump is unnecessary. If people are interested, they will comment and check back every now and then without the bumps.

have you ever done that?
plus if it doesn't bump with updates new people will be less likely to find it

perhaps projects like mods should be in a sub forum separate from peoples personal art (assuming mods are more than just a game.png or are being made by more than one person)

Well, not everything interests everyone. I am not a artist or anything, but usually if I am interested of something, I will check back even if the thread isn't bumped. Sure bumps might help new people to find stuff, but what if everyone who makes mods bumps their topics, by making updates over and over again to get attention? I don't think that such a system would work very well if there are many modders.

And when there are few, people will find the topic anyway if they want to see/find it.

11 (edited by clasic_traveller_diehard 2008-03-11 23:06:11)

there would be rules to prevent abuse such as you could only do it when your the last person to post and then only after at least a week has past since that post if no one has posted during that time you may use the update button

also you would get in just as much trouble as bumping via posting if you used the update button to only bump your thread with no update

other idea: what if the forums had a way to tag the threads

edit: can anyone confirm the 255 character edit bump thingy?

I believe the 255chars was just an example. I remember that some forum software did automatic bump if the thread was old enough and updated the first post with certain amount of difference to the original post, but I have no clue which one had this feature.

13 (edited by clasic_traveller_diehard 2008-03-11 23:32:13)

after thinking about it i decided that i could be happy if the forum just marked a forum who's first post has been edited(either a couple lines or a picture added or changed) as unread (is there a way to bring up all unread threads?)