1 (edited by Nilaya 2011-11-05 07:16:13)

Topic: [MOD] Dodgeball

Hi everyone. For the last couple weeks I have been working on my new dodgeball mod.

Hearts represent balls and they are often placed in the middle of the map at the start of a game with maybe a few in each team's base. To grab a ball you have to hook it and the object of the game is to hit a player from the opposing team. As in normal dodgeball, a point will only be awarded if the ball does not hit any wall or surface. Likewise it is also possible to catch a ball while it is in the air in which case the player who threw the ball is killed and the player who caught it gets a point. It's really pretty simply.

At the moment there is a test server up named, "Dodgeball Wars." If all goes well, I should be able to put the finishing touches on it and release binaries and/or source code in the near future. I am also open to suggestions.

Edit: Version 1.0 now available.

Windows
Linux x86
Linux x86_64

Source Code

Re: [MOD] Dodgeball

Interesting. Don't players issue prediction lags with the hearts?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

3 (edited by Nilaya 2011-10-14 19:31:11)

Maybe? Is that the reason for the glitching of the balls?

You would probably know better than me.

This mod could be very great ! big_smile

I have not noticed lags !

open-source&mind

I played it , really good!!!!
like this mod
but needs more people, to play

and really nice u can hook the hearths lol XD

really nice mod

Omg. I love how it throws the hearts and grabs it with hook etc.

Lovely idea, sadly I couldn't play today with others because there wasn't any on server. So no comment about lag etc yet.

Visit our clan: =Eagle= !

Good mod... big_smile ... hearts weapon its nice!

I tested it just now and I gotta say: It's amazing!

Although I have experienced lags with other players

Once in a century...

9 (edited by Theolol 2011-10-15 15:23:46)

One of the best 'new comer' mods (:
I fell in love with it <3
Nicely done, good job anyway.
Greetings smile

Edit: 3ppl - we all didn't notice a lag / lags

10 (edited by Cart 2011-10-15 17:28:49)

Very cool mod.
I don't like that you can cheat due to the chatkill protection. You could change that.
I haven't noticed lags either.

[21:15:20] Tom-d1ed: das ist ja mal so
[21:15:21] Tom-d1ed: extrem schlecht

11 (edited by Dark Twister 2011-10-15 19:08:34)

This is a very epic mod with fresh idea & interesting gameplay!
Good work Nilaya

P.S. Mb delete a sound event? It spam...

My nickname in game: Dark Twist3r. My team: Eclipse
I use&support TDTW <3

Dark Twister wrote:

The one when you capture a ball (friendly flag capture sound)

Once in a century...

Elite Tee wrote:
Dark Twister wrote:

The one when you capture a ball (friendly flag capture sound)

Yes! I mean it smile

My nickname in game: Dark Twist3r. My team: Eclipse
I use&support TDTW <3

@ Cartman, I'm not sure what you mean by chat kill protection. There shouldn't be anything preventing chatkills which has always been a part of teeworlds. Perhaps it didn't register a kill by accident.

@ Dark Twister, I think the sound of grabbing a ball is important as it gives the player an indication that they have in fact picked up a ball. Sometimes it can be a little difficult to tell with balls flying all over the place. tongue

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. I am going to try to put up binaries soon if no one has anything further to add regarding gameplay. Also, I'd welcome custom maps as well. To make a map you just have to place hearts on it where ever you want them to be. The amount of balls in gameplay is the amount of hearts placed on the map.

Nilaya wrote:

[...]
I am going to try to put up binaries soon if no one has anything further to add regarding gameplay. [...]

It would be nice if you could also upload the source code. smile

Believe me I will, but I don't think anybody wants to look at the messy code I've written so far. I have to clean it up a bit. smile

If someone is chatting you can't kill him. If you haven't got a ball you just turn on chat and wait till there is a ball near you. If you have a ball you can aim as long as you want and no one is able to kill you.

Sorry for crashing your server.
For a crashreport, send me a pm at n-lvl.com
cheers

I really love this mod, haven't noticed any lags. Looking froward to when you release it Nilaya. wink

Nater

CartmanxX wrote:

If someone is chatting you can't kill him. If you haven't got a ball you just turn on chat and wait till there is a ball near you. If you have a ball you can aim as long as you want and no one is able to kill you.

This has now been fixed. Also, you no longer have to hook to pick up balls anymore. While you can still hook them and it is probably advantageous to do so, you can also pick up a ball by walking over it. This should reduce hook spamming. As a result of this change the hook area of the ball has decreased which should make it harder to catch.

Good idea Nilaya, I like that was of picking them up. Much easier... big_smile

~Nater

22 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2011-10-19 22:39:52)

Nilaya wrote:

Also, you no longer have to hook to pick up balls anymore. While you can still hook them and it is probably advantageous to do so, you can also pick up a ball by walking over it.

Maybe now you can remove the sound event?

Nilaya wrote:

I think the sound of grabbing a ball is important as it gives the player an indication that they have in fact picked up a ball.

And if an enemy picks up a ball a player hears the sound and thought he picked up a ball.
Maybe remove the sound event when an enemy picks up a ball.

Once in a century...

Nope, the sound event has to stay. There has to be an audio cue for picking up a ball.

I just played that mod and I really liked it before but now with that "catched out" I don't like it anymore. You just have to hookspam and hookshot and you win a round(I just tried^^).  Maybe you can change something around there.:D

Ok so you obviously don't know how to play. Hook spamming will not accomplish much. If a tee is dumb enough to throw a ball directly at someone waiting for it, then they deserve to be caught out. If you find that other players are catching your balls too often, then perhaps you should wait for a better opportunity to throw. Perhaps you should work with your teammates to corner someone such that they won't be able to catch balls easily. Perhaps you should move faster so that the tee who is hook spamming can't keep up with you. It's not the game's fault if someone is constantly catching balls. It's the idiot tees who are too dumb to find a way around it.

The ability to catch a ball is considered a defensive mechanism, just like it is in real dodgeball. You would never throw a ball at someone ready to catch it would you? I'm sorry that people are not clever enough to work around a mechanism of the game.

Lastly, you are not able to catch someone else out if you are already holding a ball. Keep this in mind while playing.