Topic: [REQUEST] Instant respawn option.

sv_instant_spawn=0 or 1

It would be nice to add this option.

It's usefull on a duel servers, so it would be more honest duels.

Re: [REQUEST] Instant respawn option.

That would be cool.

No, that is not me; it's just a figment of your imagination.

i'm always one for options big_smile but there should be a way for people to see if that option is enabled without having to join the game

my name is NOT clasic_traveller_die its CLASIC_TRAVELLER_DIEHARD classic traveller is a si-fi rpg from the same era as dungens and dragons lookit up on wikipedia smile

and another request:

While connected to server it would be nice to see the server's name (at the score board?).

and another one:

It would nice to see a server cfg while choosing it (by special button clicking?) and while playing (at score board?)

Well not whole cfg just some stuff like map rotating, powerups on/off, teamdamage on/off ... what else?

How about sv_respawn_time_multiplier instead?

I hate to be the pessimistic jerk in this situation but, I'm not the one for many options. The force spawn is fairly short already (3 or 5sec I think?), but alright. Let's say that it's too long anyway, and let's say that we want to change it. Then change it across the entire game and force it at that value. Forking up the gameplay into countless variations will not bring us any good except splitting up the player base and confusing the game for newer players. And everytime someone tries to do some kind of league/tournament/etc it will spawn countless endless debates regarding whatever rules we should choose now that we have been given the choice.

Heck, even Blizzard who has millions of players don't want to split up their enormous player base too much. http://www.wowinsider.com/photos/gdc08- … os/653396/

aka kiwi

7 (edited by ShootMe 2008-03-08 01:29:41)

I think you're getting too far ahead of yourself airen. Coming from WA what you just said isn't quite true. WA schemes give users a huge amount of options to pick from(weapon selections/ammo for each weapon/power for each weapon/turn delays for each weapon/turn times/round times/etc... many other options as well) People create the schemes that are fun and then post them on sites and such and as people play them the scheme is either good or bad and people won't join a scheme they dont like. And when schemes are selected for tourneys those are also usually posted somewhere and is hardly debated as what options should be what as the person who ultimetly decides is the tourney creator not the users playing.

The one thing the devs know about and you say as well is that having these options may confuse newbies. Yes thats true, and there have been steps already to implement an indicator that server options are not the "defualt".

well respawn is 5 secs (just checked dat) but i think its a lil long for me wink

and also i think: huge choice is better then it's absence.

You realize that, you actually kind of help your enemy by not spawning on dm1. Since you can learn where the enemy will spawn all the time (always the spawn furthers away from where they died), when you spawn after 5 seconds, the enemy will stand right next to you with a healthy shotgun and take you out in about 1-1,5 seconds. If you do that everytime, and allow the opponent to get you every ~6 seconds, they would get ~10 kills a minute, which sounds pretty nice to me. That's a lot more then if you just ran away and picked up a weapon and played defensively.

My other opinions still stands firm, so I guess there's not much reason to debate them any further xP.

aka kiwi

Well, i thought respwan is depends on where is ur enemy standing, at the moment of u respawn.

Am i wrong?

I'm with Airen on this.

In trivial matters such as the respawn time, especially since you can respawn manually by clicking the fire button, I'd much rather see a standard being forced on all servers. Now I don't mind people debating what that standard should be, but leaving it to the server admins would just be confusing for those playing on many different servers.

Personally I think there should be no automatic respawning at all, save for on serious duel and competition servers [so that you can't stop playing when you're ahead and wait for the round to end]. But even there I wouldn't want it to be instant; what if I have to readjust the mouse pad or something?

ShootMe: Schemes on Worms are a nightmare. Forcing everyone to use the standard variation of each of them was nigh impossible even in leagues, let alone in random WormNet games. Everyone and their monkey uploading their preferred variant onto BTP did a lot of bad. In the First Blood league we would declare all games that weren't played with the standard scheme void, but many people still used their own. Sometimes to gain an edge over their opponent, sometimes simply because they didn't know better. I can't wait for the day schemes in ranked WormNet channels are enforced again.

sv_respawn <secs>
sv_teamrespawn <secs>

So server can decide the respawntime, 0 for instant respawn.

ShootMe wrote:

I think you're getting too far ahead of yourself airen. Coming from WA what you just said isn't quite true. WA schemes give users a huge amount of options to pick from(weapon selections/ammo for each weapon/power for each weapon/turn delays for each weapon/turn times/round times/etc... many other options as well) People create the schemes that are fun and then post them on sites and such and as people play them the scheme is either good or bad and people won't join a scheme they dont like. And when schemes are selected for tourneys those are also usually posted somewhere and is hardly debated as what options should be what as the person who ultimetly decides is the tourney creator not the users playing.

The one thing the devs know about and you say as well is that having these options may confuse newbies. Yes thats true, and there have been steps already to implement an indicator that server options are not the "defualt".

Maybe I´m a little on deep water now since I havn´t played WA, but at least I´ve tried some worms games out.

I believe you can´t really compare Worms and Teewars in this sence. In Worms, customizability is a part of the game´s whole concept. Choosing the map and such is one of the first things a player does, so naturally the community would embrace that. Also, from what I hear, there are more luck factors in worms, which I think would mean that the gameplay is by nature not fully reliable anyway.

Teewars, on the other hand, is very much based on being deterministic and reliable. Every detail in Teewars becomes a part of your tactics and playing habits, so even the slightest change can throw you off. For this reason, I believe the need for consistancy is much higher in Teewars than in Worms.

So even if a lot of options works for Worms, that doesn´t mean it will for Teewars.

I have to agree with airen. Happens on map with spawns located to close.

No, that is not me; it's just a figment of your imagination.

15 (edited by ShootMe 2008-03-08 18:33:02)

KRD wrote:

I can't wait for the day schemes in ranked WormNet channels are enforced again.

But can you at least agree that if there wasnt a place for people to try new schemes none of the neat and wonderful schemes we love today would have ever been created? I would have left worms a long time ago if not for the wide selection of games through different schemes as ive been playing WA on/off for around 8 years now.

Dreamy wrote:

Teewars, on the other hand, is very much based on being deterministic and reliable. Every detail in Teewars becomes a part of your tactics and playing habits, so even the slightest change can throw you off. For this reason, I believe the need for consistancy is much higher in Teewars than in Worms.

So even if a lot of options works for Worms, that doesn´t mean it will for Teewars.

I could agree with this in regards to the physics of the game but not to the actual setup of the game (ie weapons/ spawns/ammo/etc) And Im not saying I agree with the instant spawn option either as it would be a little crazy, I howerver believe a basic selection of options to customize the game would be suffecient to give a little variety to the game but not make it so different it throws you off.

Yea, customization can be very good, I´m not arguing that. It just needs to be done very carefully, and I think that goes for everything in Teewars, not just the physics.

As long as the options really are very basic, and obvious enough to be noticed when playing, I think I agree that such things would be good.

Nevertheless, in this case of spawntimes, I really think it should be the same always. Either that or two very different variants.

It would make sense to me to disable the forced spawn alltogether on casual servers, to get rid of those inactive tees just standing there.

Dreamy wrote:

Nevertheless, in this case of spawntimes, I really think it should be the same always. Either that or two very different variants.

Yeah, that. In addition to being able to click to respawn, I vote for sv_auto_respawn=1 that does it after 3 seconds and sv_auto_respawn=0 that doesn't do it at all, even if the round ends. That should be more than enough.

And after a certain amount of time without input, it could throw you among the spectators to keep team games balanced. But that's another thing, I guess.