1 (edited by Gravity 2011-08-27 19:29:56)

Topic: Portal --Discontinued--

Hi all,

Im pretty new to teeworlds and a friend asked me if i wanted to create a portal mod.
Well i accepted the request and started coding, Its far from done but it is already getting a shape.

Features: (i made so far)
Portal-gun.
If something enters a portal it comes out with the same speed(or sometimes a bit faster).
Portals can not be spawned at any wall.
CheckPoints.

Well i hope you guys like it and i would like to hear some of your idea's for the mod.
Greetings,

Gravity.

EDIT:
Heres a demo for who like's to see how far i am at the moment: https://downloads.teeworlds.com/solidfi … 34-51.demo

EDIT2:
---SNIPPED---

EDIT3:

Hi all, im recoding a few parts and fixing a few bugs after im done with that i will host the server public

EDIT4:

Well i did it, the first public server is online, it aint 24/7 it aint the best connection on the world. But it works.
IP: --down for development--
Hope to see you guys there soon

Re: Portal --Discontinued--

Such a mod already exists for 0.5, I can't really remember who did it, but it was well done in my opinion. Before starting something by zero, you should at least give a look to how they did it, or even better directly port their sources if they don't want to do it anymore :)

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

Such a mod already exists for 0.5, I can't really remember who did it, but it was well done in my opinion. Before starting something by zero, you should at least give a look to how they did it, or even better directly port their sources if they don't want to do it anymore smile

Well Thanks for the advice, only the problem is that i can't find the mod back. And if i do copy the code like you told me, it will be way harder to make changes cause i have no idea anymore how things work. So thats the reason why i will start by zero and just go on from there wink.

Gravity wrote:
Dune wrote:

Such a mod already exists for 0.5, I can't really remember who did it, but it was well done in my opinion. Before starting something by zero, you should at least give a look to how they did it, or even better directly port their sources if they don't want to do it anymore smile

Well Thanks for the advice, only the problem is that i can't find the mod back. And if i do copy the code like you told me, it will be way harder to make changes cause i have no idea anymore how things work. So thats the reason why i will start by zero and just go on from there wink.

You'll have no more clue how the code works than how the teeworlds pure code works. Ask around, I think it was Sushi or patafix who did the mod, and it was really well done, with a nice blue laser/pink laser system, very nice maps, great tileset and other graphics, awesome idea.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Portal mod is looking for mappers, we already have a tile-set.. all we need is someone to map

Dune wrote:

You'll have no more clue how the code works than how the teeworlds pure code works. Ask around, I think it was Sushi or patafix who did the mod, and it was really well done, with a nice blue laser/pink laser system, very nice maps, great tileset and other graphics, awesome idea.

I think that KaiTee wrote the mod (I don't know who he is though). I think that I still have the source code somewhere. If I find it, I'll upload it.

Silentdeaths wrote:

Portal mod is looking for mappers, we already have a tile-set.. all we need is someone to map

And a mod? You still haven't coded it, it's by far the biggest part of the job.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

The mod IS coded.. and we need a map to test further for bugs etc.. ich dont u have msn or steam??

Silentdeaths wrote:

The mod IS coded.. and we need a map to test further for bugs etc.. ich dont u have msn or steam??

We obviously need to have the binaries to build maps, we cannot map something without testing, especially with a portal mod. Also, wha not taking the 0.5 portal maps (from Kaiteeif heinrich is right), they were really great!

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:
Silentdeaths wrote:

We obviously need to have the binaries to build maps, we cannot map something without testing, especially with a portal mod. Also, wha not taking the 0.5 portal maps (from Kaiteeif heinrich is right), they were really great!

Dune, im glad you want to help me/us but, copying source isnt really creating a mod, it's just making it work again. And i want to make a mod, not fix them. And Luckely the mapper and i live in the same time-zone, so he sends me the map i host it and we test things out. We are quickly making progress and i think i will soon be able to make the server public(so other players can join)

Gravity wrote:
Dune wrote:
Silentdeaths wrote:

Dune, im glad you want to help me/us but, copying source isnt really creating a mod, it's just making it work again. And i want to make a mod, not fix them. And Luckely the mapper and i live in the same time-zone, so he sends me the map i host it and we test things out. We are quickly making progress and i think i will soon be able to make the server public(so other players can join)

I've never told you to copy any sources... read my post again maybe?
I told you to adapt the 0.5 maps, and also that we need to have some binaries (it seems you have completed to code the mod, so why don't you post it?) to test the mod and to be able to create some maps for it.
I hope it was clear, this time.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:
Gravity wrote:

I've never told you to copy any sources... read my post again maybe?
I told you to adapt the 0.5 maps, and also that we need to have some binaries (it seems you have completed to code the mod, so why don't you post it?) to test the mod and to be able to create some maps for it.
I hope it was clear, this time.

No Dune you get me wrong, you gave me tip to check the source of the 0.5 mod. I defined it my last post as copying cause you are actually just remaking someone else's mod. And i dont like to work that way i just want to code it myself... I hope you now understand what i mean ;). And i dont post the mod yet cause it works but it needs still some tweaking such as speed variables and that kinda small variables that make big changes. And the map idea yea i searched but didnt found mutch usefull yet (except a very nice tileset :P).

Sorry for repeating myself, but you can't expect anyone to create a map for a mod we've never seen...

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Gravity wrote:

And Luckely the mapper and i live in the same time-zone, so he sends me the map i host it and we test things out.

Btw. lets stop talking about how things work, cause they work the way the things now go.
To everyone else:
Does no-one has any idea's of things i could add sad
I was thinking about adding the portal turrets(*i see you* *are you still there*), however no idea if it would be fun sad

15 (edited by Dune 2011-07-09 10:21:35)

Gravity wrote:
Gravity wrote:

And Luckely the mapper and i live in the same time-zone, so he sends me the map i host it and we test things out.

Btw. lets stop talking about how things work, cause they work the way the things now go.
To everyone else:
Does no-one has any idea's of things i could add sad
I was thinking about adding the portal turrets(*i see you* *are you still there*), however no idea if it would be fun sad

Imo the simple idea of laser to create portals and "unportable" tiles is really enough to have fun. Please have a look into the map for the 0.5 version of portal: portal.map.
Uploaded it just for you.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Maybe this blue/red slime, that makes you jump higher or run faster.

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Hmm i can see what i can do, but dont think that gonna happen. It will look verry weird cause the client will think you are going slower or jump lower, so it will look like you are teleporting sad

You could try to make some hackish tune-changes to workaround that behaviour.

19 (edited by Gravity 2011-07-17 09:30:13)

@heinrich hmm yes but it still wont be so nice, like i said i'll look what i can do.

---SNIPPED---

Closed betas are really useless for something like a Teeworlds mod, I can understand when you don't want to spread the sources, I can understand when you don't want to spread the binaries, but you could at least set up one or two public test servers.
Having few people being able to play on these servers won't bring you anything.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Sounds like testing a new cancer medicament. Played this mod allready, it's kinda boring and sometimes you have to shoot 20 times on a wall to create a portal. You should fix that.

@BotoX
Oh i would really like to know when you did that, cause the mod shouldn't been online without me knowing it hmm... Or was it about a week ago. Cause i hosted it once public. But that was still in an very early development build.
And i'll look if i can fix that 20 times on wall shoot bug...

@Dune ye you are probably right...(no one sign-ed up for now xD). But i just wanna test new things out and not follow the pre-written lines.

At teeworlds-friends.de was a somehow-public beta for people that were online at this time.
I also tested the hearts and shields, I really like them. But the portals make me sick oO
And the damn hard mini maps. Have you played Portal 2? You have big maps to play.
Why not make an 24/7 pubserver? Like my zESC ^^

24 (edited by Ich_ 2011-07-17 12:33:03)

@BotoX
I'm not sure but i think you played the wrong mod o.O
maybe the old portal mod

No I played the 0.6 Portal Mod. Maybe you are makeing another one ^^
Here is the thread (german yikes): http://teeworlds-friends.de/Forum/index … p;pageNo=1