1 (edited by Mosi 2011-06-20 01:35:05)

Topic: [Client-MOD]nClient0.6-L1.0

http://www.knights-of-glory.de/images/n-client_musthave_29d.png

Hi Communitees!

Now its the right time to introduce you to the new 0.6 Client made by the N-LVL team.

In Contrast to the 0.6.0 Standart Client, the nClient has some cool differents :

Musicplayer:

After downloading the N-Clientyou will find a music folder in your Teeworlds directory.
You can copy music files in the .wav format in here and listen to them in game.
Support for mp3 is planed.

Lua API

This subject is so big that it has it own topic.
Our Lua API allows you to make numerous modifications without knowing C++ or compling the Source

Recent Server

You can see the last servers you visited here.

Advanced Friend List

When one of your friends comes online his name change  to green. With a double click you can follow him to the server where he is.

IngameServerBrowser

You will hace access to the serverbrowser without leaving the server.

SkinLoader

You will love this feature if you have lots of skins. Loading time is much much faster now.

Enhanced QuickSearch

Now you can type more then one word in the Quicksearch

Screenshot enhancement

Screenshots are now much faster and wont disturbe the gameflow smile

Thats the first Version of the nClient and there will be more Functions in the future.

***code by MAP94
***graphics and some other stuff by Retro
***smaller improvements by Mosii

You can Download this Client at our Homepage : click

Greetz,
The N-LVL Team smile

Re: [Client-MOD]nClient0.6-L1.0

This mod was very much work, mainly by MAP94, and I hope the users will see the enormous potential the use of the Lua-Api means.

Please add directlinks to the lua reference and the download section. Also, is the source of this client public?

I think Ill have to have a closer look at the lua reference before rating your client.

void ..

nice client...i like the feature playing music, but...am I right, that I can't stop the music while being in a server? Everytime I want to stop the music I have to disconnect from the server?!

Ingame Name: //w®a* DøñE
Clanpage of //w®a*
Clanmovie of //w®a*

there are music cmds
-music play
-music stop
-music prev
-music next
-music +
-music -

6 (edited by MAP94 2011-06-19 15:30:23)

and in the music tab you can even bind key.

(i found a bug in the music bind buttons, going to fix this in the next version)

Good work. Keep it up!
I like clients.

8 (edited by Apmox 2011-06-19 11:40:29)

Remember that reconnect feature is a cheat. I reccomend you to delete it.
Image example

» Albert Einsteein: I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

9 (edited by Dune 2011-06-20 10:56:59)

Mosi wrote:

Our Lua API allows you to make numerous modifications without knowing C++ or compling the Source

What a great idea! More mods made by people who don't know anything at what they are doing...
Although, it looks like an overall nice work, I would be curious to give it a look to how well you included these features in the UI, when you'll have fixed your reconnect feature issue. Have you thought about sending some pull requests to the Oy's git repo?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Lua can just used to mod the client so just don't make one. And the reconnect thing is just a lua script. delete it.

No. Lua was planed for 0.6.0 and is suspended now. So why should i do this?

MAP94 wrote:

And the reconnect thing is just a lua script. delete it.

So, in other terms, you provide a forbidden feature known for stressing servers, and justify yourself saying this is no problem, because you could easily delete it from the client. Wtf. It's like providing a bot with an option to disable it, it doesn't justify you release such a feature.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

13 (edited by MertenNor 2011-06-20 13:29:41)

Mac Release ?

I can compile if you want smile just contact me via the forum mail.. here.

MertenNor

->My 24/7 servers: [NOR] Norwegian HUB <- Back Online !! big_smile
( My grammar is getting better ! smile I think.. )
-Norway

Dear Dune (and other who see the possibilities by the N-Client critically),

Yes, with we know that its possible to cheat with Lua scripts or implement »illegal« features. But in the same way its possible for everyone to make thoses modifications in C++. Was that a reason not to publish the source of Teeworlds? No! Everbody can download is and use the source to build breathtaking bots - and its the same thing with lua scripts.

To minimize the possibilities to abuse Lua Scripts we still have not published our N-Client source until we find a good solution for that problem.

So, do us all the favor and dont act like we have open the gates of hell with the implementation of the API!

Epic speech. Now: I really like the advanced friend list and Lua API. Would be interesting if something like this goes official. (As Retro said tw is already open source. So this isn't anything worse (except that it's possibly easier to create bots with Lua than with C++?))

btw: I found a bug: When you press "Tee" button in options the client crashes. (Maybe because I use a custom skin o.O )

Once in a century...

for some reason the skin loader does not work on every system. So deactivate the skinloader "cl_skin_loader 0" (f1) and restart your client. thx for reporting the bug

Elite Tee wrote:

(As Retro said tw is already open source. So this isn't anything worse (except that it's possibly easier to create bots with Lua than with C++?))

There's a huge difference between modifying C++ sources then compiling and adding few lines into a game. I'm still not convinced at all that making client-sided modding available for everyone is a good point.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

»I'm still not convinced at all that making client-sided modding available for everyone is a good point.«

Well, I don´t think that it ok to treat users like incapable kids and make the decision for them what features should be available to them and which not.

You cant stop progress!

btw: I think its a little bit inconsequent to critizise (still removed) scripts like the lua reconnect and offer feaures like viewing the game layers in your gamer client – great to see all hidden ways, teleporter, etc ;-)

19 (edited by Dune 2011-06-20 18:14:23)

Retro wrote:

btw: I think its a little bit inconsequent to critizise (still removed) scripts like the lua reconnect and offer feaures like viewing the game layers in your gamer client – great to see all hidden ways, teleporter, etc ;-)

When I posted the comment about you not wanting to remove this script, you hadn't removed it yet.

To your btw: Also, as it's been said hundred of times, you can view the maps in the editor, as the map content is public. It doesn't make any sense to hide any part of a map - look in the official maps. It's a great way to reduce CPU usage as well, as tilemap rendering is the most performance consuming part of the job. Also, please keep in mind I don't want to trash talk on this offtopic, but that you are the one who first deliberately flamed about this.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

20 (edited by ghost 2011-06-20 19:45:40)

Retro wrote:

Just to clear things up:
Showing the gamelayers is not considered as "cheating", because it does not affect vanilla gameplay at all. Even more, maps that have hidden ways etc. are considered as bad.
Reconnect scripts on the other hand put a quite heavy load on servers thus causing them to lag which worsens the other players experience of the game, which means it does affect vanilla gameplay.
However, There should probably be a server side solution for this problem (i.e. ban client's if there have been too many requests in a certain time). Still it might be working as a very light DoS.

About your client: I think that people should put more effort in actually developing the game itself rather than more useless client modifications. I personally think that a LUA API can be very powerful (though it has to be handled with a lot of care, there is a reason why the standard client does not allow scripting), so instead of writing your own client, why don't you try contributing that to teeworlds. As you might know there was an attempt to create a server side API for LUA so new gametypes/weapons/etc. can easily be created in LUA so that the server binary does not have to be recompiled. Why don't you try working on something like that (would be of really great benefit, you know wink)?

21 (edited by Dune 2011-06-20 23:06:50)

ghost wrote:

I personally think that a LUA API can be very powerful (though it has to be handled with a lot of care, there is a reason why the standard client does not allow scripting), so instead of writing your own client, why don't you try contributing that to teeworlds. As you might know there was an attempt to create a server side API for LUA so new gametypes/weapons/etc. can easily be created in LUA so that the server binary does not have to be recompiled. Why don't you try working on something like that (would be of really great benefit, you know wink)?

Indeed, 100% agree with ghost. That would be really nice if you could try to contribute to teeworlds and to send the LUA integration patch to the devs. It could really be a big step for the Teeworlds development, if I remember correctly the devs abandonned LUA because it was to complex to integrate and unsecure. At least, it's worth a try.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

ok … we respect your point of view.

But the reason why we make our own client and later open the source disscussions like that. We want to create something new for Teeworlds and don´t have to ask everybody about doubts and personal preferences.
We hate discussions like: Insta is bad for Teeworlds, DDRace is a noobmod  maps with hidden ways are considered as bad, and so on. 

Give the players the personal freedom to decide the way they like to play that game.

23 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2011-06-21 12:21:10)

If I may interfere,1 thing to ghost:

ghost wrote:

I think that people should put more effort in actually developing the game itself rather than more useless client modifications........ so instead of writing your own client, why don't you try contributing that to teeworlds.

Very few patches go official. Getting your patch into standard teeworlds is like winning a lottery. :S
Clan plates...were a very good idea...

EDIT: You wanna make a poll about getting Lua API into standard client???
It is a powerful tool. It could help many coders. As it could be abused by some. Are the players worthy of this powerful weapon???
To give,or not to give?!? That's the question wink

Once in a century...

Giving u a suggestion why not use fmod or BASS audio library to allow the use of mp3 files.I would suggest to use fmod since its easier to integrate into the client.

We plan to integrate mp3 but we'll need some time to clear the licence problems.